Extended time on GRE (yes I do have an official ADHD diagnosis)

InquilineKea

Does anyone know how much documentation the ETS wants? For 50% extended testing time, you just need a certificate of eligibility. But does the certificate of eligibility require the material shown in the link here (http://www.ets.org/d...ocumenting_adhd)? http://www.addforums...ead.php?t=38965 shows that it's scary. Supposedly ADHD isn't enough, but you're also required to prove that you meet ADA criteria, which are more stringent. Also, it says that you need to go through cognitive testing to show that you meet the criteria (this testing is VERY expensive and there is no way that I can go through it). I was only diagnosed with ADD in college (in the past, being a teacher's pet + high intelligence really masked it).

However, a nytimes article (http://www.nytimes.c...egy-t.html?_r=1) says this:

EXTRA time. More breaks. A small, quiet room. Seeking such accommodations on entrance exams can be a journey of angst for students with learning disabilities and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. A new set of federal regulations, published in September and effective in March, could smooth the path.

Congress, however, over objections from ACT, in 2008 rejected the courts’ “narrow” understanding of disability and amended the A.D.A. New rules are being drafted to expand the definition of disability. The regulations that were just published tell testers to give “considerable weight” to documented accommodations at applicants’ schools, keep documentation requests “reasonable” and give credence to assessments of disabilities by qualified evaluators.

Will this change the documentation needed for the 2011 tests? Is anyone else familiar with the process of getting accommodations?

Thanks!

Edited by InquilineKea

• 2 weeks later...

If you've used accomadations at work or in school within I believe the last 2 years (but double check with ETS), then (depending on the accomadations you are requesting) you may be able to submit the COE with appropriate signatures indicating you recieved accomadations. Time and half is a fairly standard accomadation but if you are requesting a private room or extra breaks you may need to submit original doumentation. You may be able to submit documentation from your diagnosis in college depending on how recent it is. ETS isn't very clear on their process or requirements. Best of luck!

Does anyone know how much documentation the ETS wants? For 50% extended testing time, you just need a certificate of eligibility. But does the certificate of eligibility require the material shown in the link here (http://www.ets.org/d...ocumenting_adhd)? http://www.addforums...ead.php?t=38965 shows that it's scary. Supposedly ADHD isn't enough, but you're also required to prove that you meet ADA criteria, which are more stringent. Also, it says that you need to go through cognitive testing to show that you meet the criteria (this testing is VERY expensive and there is no way that I can go through it). I was only diagnosed with ADD in college (in the past, being a teacher's pet + high intelligence really masked it).

However, a nytimes article (http://www.nytimes.c...egy-t.html?_r=1) says this:

Will this change the documentation needed for the 2011 tests? Is anyone else familiar with the process of getting accommodations?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I was only diagnosed with ADD in college (in the past, being a teacher's pet + high intelligence really masked it).

I think that getting anyone other than the Office for Students with Disabilities at your univerisity to make exceptions for ADHD is an uphill battle. (I've been there; I've learned some about discrimination law in the process.) I wish you luck, but if it doesn't work, maybe I can pump up your ego a bit. I guess depending on how your ADHD affects you will depend on how you take my advice. I am a very slow, distracted reader but have no trouble with mathematics. (I actually hated the treatment medicine so much that I switched to a field that played up my strengths so I could be all natural.)

I've been treated for ADHD for a decade now, and I've always been advised against getting extended time on standardized tests because the scores come with a marker that you received special assistance during the test. This may no longer be the case, but I didn't want to risk tacking on a negative identifier to my applications if I didn't have to. While working on my MA, it was also brought to my attention that most of my professors thought that an ADHD diagnosis was more of a crutch than a disorder. :angry: They are economics professors at top 10 party school, where students often abuse the system built to help them. Hopefully you won't run into them!

Accepting that I wouldn't get extra time during the test, I bought myself time by studying hardcore for 2 months before the exam, and then taking it twice in about a 2 week period. I HATE studying for that sort of stuff, but I making sure to memorize as much (vocab and math identities) as I could to make up for time on test day. I turned most of it into a game, recruiting coworkers, relatives, and my husband to try to stump me on vocab and arithmetic. In the end, I think that my AW suffered a bit (4.5) because of the time constraint, but my verbal was much much higher than I expected, or even needed. (I got a 760V/800Q!)

{Side note: the first time I took it, I got 700/700/3.5. I ran out of time on everything, but it familiarized me with the test and helped me tweak my study strategy.}

I used to have the attitude that standardized tests were just like IQ tests, so there was no need for me to study. (Oh the arrogance of my youth!) I'm a bit more mature now, and I've realized that everyone else is studying for them, HARD, whether they tell you they are or not. Your intelligence masked your disability until college, so feel confident that undoubtedly you are smart enough to succeed at the GRE whether you have extra time or not. After all, the is more about strategy and vocabulary than intelligence. I would highly recommend looking for a test prep program that will teach you time-saving techniques whether you pursue the extra time allocation or not.

Best wishes!

Edited by JCCGJ

• 4 weeks later...

I have ADHD and recently took the GRE. Though I didn't try to get extra time for it, I have a few strategies that helped me greatly.

1. Take medication (I couldn't make myself finish the test without it. My scores went up 60pts in both verbal and quantitative)

2. Take the test as fast as you can. (If you're like me, even on medication I'm only good at a two hour test. Answer quickly for the best score.)

3. Don't read the passages. (Again, it saves precious concentration time.)

4. Don't drink too much water beforehand. (My ADHD friend getting a PhD at Stanford said this is the most important thing to remember on test day)

Remember, you don't need to be perfect. I didn't even finish the verbal section and got a 680 without reading the passages. Not a stellar score, but fine for an engineer. Everyone is different, but I'm incapable of effectively taking a test over two hours with or without breaks. I'm fairly sure that extra test time helps most people with ADHD less than it would help most people. Also, choose your graduate program carefully to make sure your ADHD will be an asset rather than a problem.

• 8 years later...

I recently requested 50% more time.  Waiting on the results of my request now.

Previously, I applied for 100% extra time, but they said that further documentation was needed.  I submitted a letter from my mental health center and psychiatrist (I have bipolar I and II disorder with anxiety disorder), but that apparently wasn't good enough.  ETS wants really detailed information.  I'm not applying for federal disability benefits, for God's sake!  Only extended time!  It's absolutely ridiculous.

I need to take the GRE as soon as possible, so I can't be burdened with trying to get even more detailed information from the clinic.  The bureaucracy of it all would waste too much time and I will miss the application deadlines.

So, even though the letter from my psychiatrist requests 100% more time, I'm applying for 50% more time instead.  I cannot see how it would not be granted.  Also, you don't need to submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) at all.  The bulletin explicitly states that you are "encouraged" to do so.  Therefore, it's not *required*.  In addition, documentation overall isn't even required to request 50% time.  I am still enclosing the letter for 100% more time anyway, which shows that I require extra time regardless.  As a result, I absolutely must get 50% more time.  And we don't want any disruptions to happen in the testing room if I'm forced to take this test with no accommodations at all, right?  Right.