Short list Psyc

hmh001

So I got an e-mail asking me for an interview yesterday evening. It said "congratulations on making our short list! we are excited to hear from you." In a psychology PhD program how many people are generally on "the short list?" and what are your chances of getting in should you get an interview (obviously significantly better than if you do not get one, but this is my first go around with all of this)

I mean, it varies. I got an e-mail from my top choice telling me I made it to a "short list" of 10 people and according to the person I've been in contact with there's space for pretty much all of us. Other places, however, might be completely different.

Unfortunately it varies a lot by year too. I'm currently in a grad program, and just because we had a larger than usual class last year, this year there's a smaller demand for graduate students among the faculty. Alas. Would you be comfortable sharing what school you received the invite from?

It does vary, but they're probably down to just a handful of students for slightly less than a handful of spots (like musical chairs!). I'd recommend searching the results section of the sight and see how many others have been asked to interview-if any. Of course, not everyone applying is on this site, and not everyone on this site posts results. It may help though...

Good luck!

This is all helpful. There is nobody else who has claimed an interview thus far (Univ. of Toledo)

I know that 3 people are interviewing with me on Monday but there is another date set for Feb 4. I imagine that they would split it at least fairly even between the two days so I imagine that there are likely 8-10 of us. The department is pretty large so they may have enough spots for us all. Also, whenever they send me e-mails they cc the two profs I mentioned in my personal statement plus another prof. whose interest are no where near what I suggested in my PS...his work is interesting but I don't know what that means. Any advice for do's and dont's?