University of California Santa Barbara

sjanet1

Yes, I was invited to the recruitment weekend at UCSB for the Cognition, Perception, & Cognitive Neuroscience PhD program. I was wondering the same thing. Based on the interactions I've had with my POI (via email and phone), it seems like it is more of an orientation. I would imagine they're only inviting students who they're definitely or likely going to admit, considering that they're paying for our travel/hotel :) (I'm assuming this is the case for you, too). So, I think (and hope) there is a reason why they called it a "recruitment" rather than "interview" weekend. Either way, maybe I'll see you there. What program did you apply to?

I applied to the Neuroscience and Behavior concentration. It sure seems like it is more of an orientation than anything! The professor said that this weekend is for us to see if we actually like the school and program or to see if we'd rather work with another professor than the one we mentioned. He also told me that about 20 prospective students are invited. UCSB is a very good program from what I've heard. Where are you from?

Yeah, everything seems to point toward it being an orientation. Also, UCSB does seem to have a very good psych department, and for me it is all about working with my POI, who is very well known in his field and matches my interests perfectly. So, needless to say, I was thrilled to talk with him and get the invite. I'm from Orlando, FL and went to the University of Central Florida. Where are you from?

I am from Los Angeles. I went to Cal State Northridge for 3 years then finished up my last year at LSU with the national student exchange program. Santa Barbara is very pretty! Do you have any info about financial-aid? Stipends?

The only information I have regarding financial aid is from UCSB's Psych website (http://www.psych.ucsb.edu/graduate/support/support.php). The professor that I talked to just reiterated what it says on the site: five years of support in the form of teaching assistantships or working as a graduate student researcher. They both include a monthly salary, fees, and health insurance benefits. Everyone admitted is also considered for campus-based fellowships that would include some kind of stipend, but I couldn't find any details about it. Hopefully we'll learn more about it over the recruitment weekend. I've never been to Santa Barbara, but everyone tells me it's amazing. What other schools did you apply to?

Some schools give a full ride + additional monthly stipends. SB and its surrounding areas are extremely expensive, so I hope they give us a good amount. I do know, however, that they have an area for graduate housing. I applied to many many places, even some MA programs just in case I didn't get into any PhD programs. The PhD programs are UCSB, UCSD, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Indiana University-Bloomington, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, LSU, University of South Florida, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign,University of Vermont, and University of Missouri-Columbia. So far I had an initial interview with IUPUI and got a call from the POI from Missouri and I called him back three times but he never responded. :/

I see you got into another school. Great Job! Is UCSB one of your top choices?

Yes, I've been warned about how expensive it is to live in SB, so it will be interesting to see what they offer. I noticed the graduate student housing option, which seemed reasonable, and that might be what I would do for at least the first year. I was accepted to UCF, where I went for my bachelor's and master's (and where I still live) and received a nice fellowship offer. However, It was kind of my "safety" school. UCSB is my top choice, and it has been for the last couple of years. It looks like you'll probably have some good options. Good luck with the other programs! How does UCSB rank on your list?

University of Vermont, IUPUI, and UCSB are my top choices. The first two more for the specific programs they offer along with the classes, but UCSB has the perfect POI, plus its in CA. It was definitely one of the most time consuming applications!

I know what you mean. I spent sooooo much time on my SOP for UCSB. It has the perfect POI for me too, and of course, you can't beat the location. I hope to see you at the recruitment weekend. If I do end up at UCSB, it will be about three thousand miles away from anyone I know. So, I figure I better get started meeting people that at least might be going there too. :)