Near Eastern Studies 2011

hadoule

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Berkeley reported admissions to Ph.D. in Near Eastern Studies.

Was that posted on the Grad Cafe listing? Or did you hear elsewhere? That's not one of my programs so I wasn't searching for it.

Sorry to hear some had a bad response. This is such a tough time for getting in.

Any news on the short list for Princeton Near Eastern Studies?

Edited by wannabee

Was that posted on the Grad Cafe listing? Or did you hear elsewhere? That's not one of my programs so I wasn't searching for it.

Sorry to hear some had a bad response. This is such a tough time for getting in.

Any news on the short list for Princeton Near Eastern Studies?

Three rejections from Berkeley were reported on GradCafe. No news on Princeton there yet. Do you also think that invitations for Princeton interviews should be sent ...... any moment now? ohmy.gif

I applied mostly to poli sci programs but also applied to MEIS at NYU and MESAAS at Columbia. Anyone hear anything about either?

It would be reported on GradCafe Results. I am waiting for Columbia as well. I think that Columbia notifies in March... ??????

Most schools are going to report in March (at least they did last year). I did get some insider info that at one school they received over 60 applications for only 4 spots. Many of these applicants are from overseas, primarily the Middle East.

I called both schools recently. Columbia notifies through email in early April.

Groan! I don't think I can wait that long. My program in Cairo is suspended, half of my books are back there as well, and I have nothing to do but think about my applications. I am really hoping to go back but everything is uncertain.

Does anyone know if Yale did interviews in the past? I emailed with a professor early last year who stated that he welcomes the opportunity to interview potential students, although its not a prerequisite for admission. But on gradcafe, there seems to be no sign of anyone getting interviewed. Anyone know?

Was anyone invited for an interview at Princeton?

Nothing here. I had to write the DGS at Princeton two days ago to explain that my midyear transcript would be late since it is coming from the American University in Cairo. I received a pleasant reply that seemed to indicate that they are still evaluating credentials. Did you see somewhere that notifications have gone out?

Edited by wannabee

Nope, I haven't seen the results posted anywhere. But last year invitations came out ... on February, 4th? There was only one report last year on GradCafe. I don't think many people in our field report here, hence me asking.

Hi, I applied to thirteen PhD programs for Fall 2011, but I haven't heard from any of them yet. I am starting to get worried. Usually grad schools contact you within three weeks if they accepted you. I don't know if I should contact the schools, or give it a bit more time.

Hi, I applied to thirteen PhD programs for Fall 2011, but I haven't heard from any of them yet. I am starting to get worried. Usually grad schools contact you within three weeks if they accepted you. I don't know if I should contact the schools, or give it a bit more time.

I'm not sure what you mean by "usually grad schools contact you within three weeks if they accepted you." Grad school applications typically aren't on a rolling basis. Most NELC adcoms meet during the last week of January - last week of February. If you haven't heard by mid-March, then you should contact the schools (unless they historically have been known to admit later...), because likely you would've heard either way by then. Until then, wait it out.

I received a visit last night from the UCLA angel of death. So, the results are starting to come in...

I am so sorry. But we still have a long way to go so keep your fingers crossed.

I'm in modern, not ancient. Right now my life is up in the air. Since last May, I've been studying Arabic in Cairo on a fellowship. Now I am sitting at home, worried about friends in Egypt and worried about when and if I will ever get back. I was so hopeful yesterday but now the situation looks worse than ever!

Also waiting to hear about applications in Middle Eastern Studies and comparative politics....

Sorry to hear that Tiglath! Be patient though, we all hope good news is around the corner :)

Congrats Kate on your acceptances. That, I'm sure, eases things for you.

Princeton is still killing me though...and what a slow death it is...from what I gather, they haven't disclosed their short list yet.