Near Eastern Studies 2011

hadoule

I don't know about CMES acceptances, but I'm guessing they come out later because there are many times more acceptances, and I think they also refer some PhD applicants who are not accepted into the NELC PhD to the CMES Masters.

Acceptances for Chicago NELC have been sent out. Not sure when rejection letters will be sent though.

Hey - does this include Masters Applications or just PHD ?

waiting anxiously blink.gif

Edited by Malumat

Does anyone know when the admittances and/or rejections for the doctoral program at Columbia normally come out? This is for the Department of Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies.

From looking at previous years' results, around mid-March.

From looking at previous years' results, around mid-March.

Yep. Agreed.

Has anyone heard from Harvard yet? There is one acceptance for Anthro & MES in the Results Section. Any History & MES applicants who know of any gossip? rolleyes.gif

I believe early March is their decision time (by post?) but you never know...

Yep. Agreed.

Has anyone heard from Harvard yet? There is one acceptance for Anthro & MES in the Results Section. Any History & MES applicants who know of any gossip? rolleyes.gif

I believe early March is their decision time (by post?) but you never know...

Why do they still use post? I'm outside the USA and the GRE results took 4 weeks to get to me AFTER they were posted. They could at least email the applicants with a non-official acceptance/rejection.

I've applied to 7 schools in Canada, the USA and the UK. I'm yet to hear from any.

ehpurefoy, congratulations! Funded Master's - this is awesome (and rare)!

The Green Bean - please, don't lose hope! It happens very often that the first decision is a rejection but then something really awesome arrives. It will only make your future acceptance (fingers crossed) so much sweeter!

Hi everybody!

Hope you get into your dream school this year.

I applied to 14 PhD programs this year: Harvard (departments of Near Eastern studies & Middle Eastern studies), Princeton (NES), Duke (Religion), Stanford ®, New York U (Middle Eastern studies), Michigan (NES), Toronto (R & NES), North Carolina Chapel Hill ®, Yale ®, McMaster ®, Pennsylvania ®, Emory ®.

So far I have only received two rejection letters from Princeton and Duke without any signal from other schools. I also know that some of them have already released the admitted applicants. March is approaching and I fear of receiving dozens of rejections.

Do you have any promising news for me? Can I still have a chance of acceptance without any invitation to an interview or something like that? This year is do or die for me.

Thanks, and best wishes for all of you.

You definitely have hope.

1. Many schools, in fact most schools in our field, do not interview. Princeton and U Michigan ( and probably a few others) are notable exceptions. So no worries about that.

2. Many schools have not started notifying of their decisions yet. Harvard, for instance. No worries here either.

You applied to very prestigious schools but you also applied to many schools! The latter one is definitely a plus when it comes to estimating the probability of eventual acceptance. rolleyes.gif

Wish you patience and the very best with your applications!

Green Bean, Hope 313 and others still waiting,

I want to second the sentiments expressed by Bukharan. This process is not over yet. You still have a shot. Plus, I know from experience that rejection at a "lower-ranked" school does not mean that you are automatically excluded from your reach. I have a mixture of applications in Poli Sci and area studies. I was rejected from several programs that I really thought were good fits in terms of my interests and credentials. Yet at the same time, I have been accepted with funding at the one school on my list that I never thought I could get into. I can not explain this and I am grateful but I do know it can happen.

I also made it back to my program in Cairo. Yeah!

Edited by wannabee

Who has received acceptances for NYU Middle Eastern & Islamic Studies (&/or joint program in History) PhD? and How were you notified? I am holding out hope for this one.

Applied for Religion (Islamic Studies) for Duke and still havent heard anything, was told that final decisions would be made by yesterday (2/25)....

Who has received acceptances for NYU Middle Eastern & Islamic Studies (&/or joint program in History) PhD? and How were you notified? I am holding out hope for this one.

Applied for Religion (Islamic Studies) for Duke and still havent heard anything, was told that final decisions would be made by yesterday (2/25)....

Someone reported acceptance to the joint PhD for MEIS and History at NYU in the History forum. Looks like they were notified by email earlier this past week.

You definitely have hope.

1. Many schools, in fact most schools in our field, do not interview. Princeton and U Michigan ( and probably a few others) are notable exceptions. So no worries about that.

2. Many schools have not started notifying of their decisions yet. Harvard, for instance. No worries here either.

You applied to very prestigious schools but you also applied to many schools! The latter one is definitely a plus when it comes to estimating the probability of eventual acceptance. rolleyes.gif

Wish you patience and the very best with your applications!

Thanks Bukharan for your nice commentrolleyes.gif

NYU notified me of my acceptance by email. I'm a lit student, though; they only admitted two of us. My understanding is that they take more history & social sciences students, so maybe decisions take longer there.

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I feel pretty down and need to express my sense of regret and loss somewhere. I did not strategize well when applying to Phd programs. I only applied to 3 schools: Yale's NELC, Princeton's NES and Columbia's MESAAS. My interest is Arabic literary criticism. I was wait-listed at Yale, no word from Princeton and my last hope is Columbia. I just don't like the odds. I tried studying Arabic Literature as a fully matriculated student at an Arab university but I was almost deported for being in the country too long (3+ years. The country's government is very hostile and suspicious of prolonged American presence. I won't mention the country because I love it and hope to go back there someday). So, I come back to the States and can't get into a program. To that I say, la hawla wa la quwwata illa billah. Where do I go from here?

Sorry for my rant. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. On a brighter note, alf mabrook to all the acceptances and I wish everybody on the forum the best!