Near Eastern Studies 2011

hadoule

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I feel pretty down and need to express my sense of regret and loss somewhere. I did not strategize well when applying to Phd programs. I only applied to 3 schools: Yale's NELC, Princeton's NES and Columbia's MESAAS. My interest is Arabic literary criticism. I was wait-listed at Yale, no word from Princeton and my last hope is Columbia. I just don't like the odds. I tried studying Arabic Literature as a fully matriculated student at an Arab university but I was almost deported for being in the country too long (3+ years. The country's government is very hostile and suspicious of prolonged American presence. I won't mention the country because I love it and hope to go back there someday). So, I come back to the States and can't get into a program. To that I say, la hawla wa la quwwata illa billah. Where do I go from here?

Sorry for my rant. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. On a brighter note, alf mabrook to all the acceptances and I wish everybody on the forum the best!

Allah yebarik feek...awwalan, I want to say that I love your username, it brought a smile upon my face, because I've been saying those two words repeatedly the past two weeks.

It's a really tough year for admissions, especially for Arabic. Although it would have been better if you applied to more programs, there's no use remorsing now, but it's good to know for the future. You still have hope in Columbia, which tends to admit a good number of students for the MA program in Arabic literature. From what I heard, they only admit two students a year for the PhD, although I'm not sure.

There's no doubt that you're competitive for these programs. There aren't many students who have lived and studied Arabic in the Arab world, much less those who are close to fluency in the language. Don't give up - if you were waitlisted at Yale that means you have a strong background for future study. The main issue is that you didn't apply to enough programs. We all get rejected for one reason or another - it's really a crap shoot, hence the importance of applying to multiple institutions.

I'm not sure what your interests in the Arabic literary tradition are, but Yale seems to be more focused on the medieval, classical periods. Hala Nassar is now leaving, which I'm sure isn't too good for those interested in modern Arabic criticism.

You have many options, which I'm sure you know, when it comes to studying Arabic. I can only guess which country you were in, but it must have been a bummer to leave. I was supposed to be in a country of similar characteristics for the span of this year but was denied a visa to enter. You just have to plan around it. If beginning a PhD in the Fall is no longer an option by April, there are many other things you can do to improve your application. I think the most important thing is language acquisition - French, German, even Persian, depending on your interests.

All I can say is that you must not fret, a year off may be a good thing in the long run, and will give you access to programs that are even better for your field than the ones you applied to this year. Work on improving your app by studying other languages, and perhaps engaging in a long term research project. Get in touch with professors early on.

I wish you the very best in your endeavors, do not worry, you still have a shot, but if there is a next time, apply to more schools.

Anyone hear from Harvard? The Results page lists an acceptance by email on Feb. 26. I'm quite fearful that rejections are already en route through snail mail, or perhaps they are waiting to send out rejection emails at a later date.

Also, Bukharan, what college will you be at? (If you take Oxford's offer)

Can anyone tell me anything about the Near Eastern Studies program at the University of Arizona? Namely, is it a good program? Is it well respected? How does it compare to other programs? Do its graduates place well in PhD programs?

Basically, my issue is that I've been accepted to Arizona for an MA in Near Eastern Studies and an MA for Global/Comparative history at Georgetown; I'm trying to decide between them. After my MA my goal is to go on to a PhD and, eventually (hopefully), into an academic position to study modern Iranian history. While my focus is on Iran my interests (colonial/imperial pressures, social adaptation/resistance and revolutionary movements) do lend themselves to a comparative framework and Middle Eastern history faculty at Georgetown are well respected (or so I hear). Does anyone have advice or a recommendation?

While I'm more interested in hearing about the academics of the two programs I will note that I haven't heard anything about funding from Arizona (and since it's an MA I'll assume that means "none") and Georgetown doesn't offer MA funding outside of a some competitively awarded scholarships.

Thanks!

Also, Bukharan, what college will you be at? (If you take Oxford's offer)

I still haven't heard from Oxford regarding the college. I have strong reasons to believe it will be St Antony's. I will see how it goes but I am pretty excited about the States. rolleyes.gif

There is an acceptance up for the PhD in Middle Eastern Studies at UT. There actually isn't a doctorate in Middle Eastern Studies at UT Austin, but there is a doctorate for several language programs: Arabic, Persian, Hebrew. I'm assuming this is what the poster meant.

Has anyone else heard about admissions in Middle Eastern languages (especially Arabic) at UT. This isn't for me, but a friend.

Edited by wannabee

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I feel pretty down and need to express my sense of regret and loss somewhere. I did not strategize well when applying to Phd programs. I only applied to 3 schools: Yale's NELC, Princeton's NES and Columbia's MESAAS. My interest is Arabic literary criticism. I was wait-listed at Yale, no word from Princeton and my last hope is Columbia. I just don't like the odds. I tried studying Arabic Literature as a fully matriculated student at an Arab university but I was almost deported for being in the country too long (3+ years. The country's government is very hostile and suspicious of prolonged American presence. I won't mention the country because I love it and hope to go back there someday). So, I come back to the States and can't get into a program. To that I say, la hawla wa la quwwata illa billah. Where do I go from here?

Sorry for my rant. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. On a brighter note, alf mabrook to all the acceptances and I wish everybody on the forum the best!

If things don't work out this year (I hope they will!), have you considered the language departments at Georgetown and University of Texas?

Hey guys, just a quick question-it seems like people are starting to hear back from the University of Chicago for the MA program in Middle Eastern Studies. Has anyone here heard yet? has anyone applied? How about the NYU MA in Near Eastern studies?

Thanks!

Seems like all of the people hearing from UChicago are in social sciences. I'm guessing that you might have applied through humanities as well?

And NYU told me that decisions would be out either this week or next. I've already received an email about FLAS from them, but haven't heard anything about admission.

Did you apply to Arab Studies at Georgetown as well? They're the one program that I haven't gotten any response from about when decisions might be out.

I received notification from NYU that I did not receive a FLAS. I assume this means that their top picks were notified that they were admitted with funding. Also, email said they had ten spots for fifty applicants, which doesn't seem that competitive. Could it really be that only 50 people applied? Or perhaps the FLAS committee only reviewed and emailed those who were admitted -- amounting to approx 50 which I imagine in the size of the program?

Hey guys, just a quick question-it seems like people are starting to hear back from the University of Chicago for the MA program in Middle Eastern Studies. Has anyone here heard yet? has anyone applied? How about the NYU MA in Near Eastern studies?

Thanks!

I received notification from NYU that I did not receive a FLAS. I assume this means that their top picks were notified that they were admitted with funding. Also, email said they had ten spots for fifty applicants, which doesn't seem that competitive. Could it really be that only 50 people applied? Or perhaps the FLAS committee only reviewed and emailed those who were admitted -- amounting to approx 50 which I imagine in the size of the program?

I got that email too, I don't think it indicates anything about acceptance (though I really want to believe that it does). I was named as an alternate for FLAS at the University of Washington but was denied admission there.

I wonder if that was only to those of us who applied for FLAS for the MA, or if that was all FLAS applicants? Fifty does seem very low, and one out of five doesn't seem all that competitive either... doesn't quite add up.

I wonder if that was only to those of us who applied for FLAS for the MA, or if that was all FLAS applicants? Fifty does seem very low, and one out of five doesn't seem all that competitive either... doesn't quite add up.

I've also applied to NYU but I haven't heard anything about FLAS, but I don't remember applying for it. ;) I'm still waiting for MA at CMES Chicago (I applied through the humanities department). Today might be the day. :):(

And you're right. A 20% acceptance rate seems quite high. :)

I received my first acceptance today from CMES Harvard. It came in the post. :) Really excited. Is there anything I should do now? Anybody I should contact?

Huge congratulations! Is it for Masters or Ph.D.?

For NYU, I'm pretty sure that the 10 FLASs for 50 applicants are for those accepted plus the class already enrolled. They do not have a seperate FLAS pool for incoming and second year students. So if it is evenly divided between years, thats 5 incoming and 5 continuing students. Factor in that preferance is given to advanced language training, and continuing students, on average, will have more language training, i think its safe to say that very few incoming students will be awarded FLASs.

I most likely will attend there this Fall over Georgetown. PM me if anyone else plans on attending. Its a shitload of money, but I should be able to land a good job afterwards, right? right?

Cooperstreet, did you defer your offers from last year, or have you been notified by GU and NYU this application season? As far as money goes, these aren't professional programs, so I doubt there will be high paying jobs waiting at the end. For tuition alone it's 80k over two years (plus interest if there are loans). Not easy to pay off on a 50k salary which is probably what most graduates will be making.

For NYU, I'm pretty sure that the 10 FLASs for 50 applicants are for those accepted plus the class already enrolled. They do not have a seperate FLAS pool for incoming and second year students. So if it is evenly divided between years, thats 5 incoming and 5 continuing students. Factor in that preferance is given to advanced language training, and continuing students, on average, will have more language training, i think its safe to say that very few incoming students will be awarded FLASs.

I most likely will attend there this Fall over Georgetown. PM me if anyone else plans on attending. Its a shitload of money, but I should be able to land a good job afterwards, right? right?

Letter arrived today from Harvard GSAS, I applied to NELC (PhD) and am finishing the MA through the center for middle eastern studies here currently, so it is technically a transfer according to their books.

The letter states that they "could not act on my application" even though they were very impressed with my credentials, and they wanted to know if I would accept a spot on a waiting list. I take it either to mean that they knew they weren't the best match for me, which I effectively expressed in my preliminary conversations with faculty, but they are trying to make an effort, or alternatively it could be a polite solution so as not to reject me, even though they wrote my recommendation letters and so forth, a rejection would be awkward for someone who has two and a half months left here. Anyway, I am interested to see if anyone else receives such a letter.

I just received an email from NYU that I have been accepted into their Near Eastern Studies program. I am absolutely delighted and flattered... just when I thought I would not get in anywhere. :) No funding though--not that I was expecting any.

How do I decide where?

Edited by The Green Bean

I just received an email from NYU that I have been accepted into their Near Eastern Studies program. I am absolutely delighted and flattered... just when I thought I would not get in anywhere. :) No funding though--not that I was expecting any.

How do I decide where?

Congratulations!