Near Eastern Studies 2011

hadoule

Bukharan,

I found out early because I have 'ins' in both departments. You are absolutely not at all out of the running!! They will send out waves of decisions some time this week, so keep your fingers crossed! I specialize in gender and modern, you?

Wannabee,

CONGRATULATIONS! Did you do a happy dance? I pulled a muscle in my back from my happy dance, lol!

Does anyone have any information on the Princeton short list? It should have gone out some time ago, and perhaps it did. But I am surprised that no one has posted anything. Over the weekend there were two queries about this on the "results" database that were subsequently removed as spam.

Last year, by this time, the short list notifications had gone out plus a number of rejections.

Edited by wannabee

I found out today that Chicago has completed their admission decisions. Unfortunately, they don't send out letters until mid-March. But, if your adviser/a letter writer is friendly with Chicago's faculty, they can always ask a faculty member to check the list and see if you were admitted (but can't give word on funding).

I'm seriously shocked that Princeton has sent nothing out to anyone. Either we're all shortlisted or we're all rejected. :)

Hi, all! It's good to see others in our small field.

I applied for ancient Near Eastern studies at UCLA, Michigan, Penn, and Chicago but haven't heard anything from any of them. Patience is a virtue, I guess. mellow.gif

I applied to UPenn for the 2009 cycle, and they were the dead last school that I heard from -- well into March/early April. They could have rejected me much earlier. :rolleyes: I know someone who has heard (positively) from Michigan already.

Which program at Chicago?

I found out today that Chicago has completed their admission decisions. Unfortunately, they don't send out letters until mid-March. But, if your adviser/a letter writer is friendly with Chicago's faculty, they can always ask a faculty member to check the list and see if you were admitted (but can't give word on funding).

I'm seriously shocked that Princeton has sent nothing out to anyone. Either we're all shortlisted or we're all rejected. :)

That's weird...doesn't that go against the whole trajectory of acceptances posted on the results page from recent years? I really hope they don't wait until March if they already know who's in and who's out.

Edited by samarkand

In terms of Michigan, if you weren't invited to recruitment weekend you're most likely out, cause they interviewed a bunch of people in jan and then condensed that into a shorter list of interviewees for their recruitment weekend in feb. I think they'll choose acceptances from among them.

This is true, but usually either a POI or the chair will send an informal acceptance by email before the official letters go out. I would expect those emails to be going out this week or next week at the latest if they haven't already been sent. Good luck everyone!

Has anyone contacted Princeton about the short-list? i mean, you'd think at least they'd notify you of being rejected by now. I almost want to send an email to the department to inquire about it, but I don't want to seem rude, or you know, end my delusions of grandeur. :unsure:

Regarding Princeton....I have not contacted them. In my case, I was waiting for the notification that my program was resuming in Cairo. I thought I would add that question into my email when I explained I was returning to Egypt. Unfortunately, we do not yet have word on the program and I am still in a holding pattern.

I don't think a polite inquiry would be out of line. Last year, a day or two after the short list notifications went out, those who were rejected were also notified. Still, I fear that it's possible Near Eastern Studies is cutting back on admissions and none of us made the cut (or at least I didn't).

Edited by wannabee

Sorry to bring bad news, but princeton NES short listed applicants were already notified. They were told about a week ago and will visit princeton at the end of next week.

Thanks very much. It is good to know this so we can mentally move on.

Acceptances for Chicago NELC have been sent out. Not sure when rejection letters will be sent though.

If anyone is wondering, UCLA is in the middle of assessing a second round of applicants - where they are exactly, I don't know.

Does anyone know when acceptances and/or rejections from Chicago are supposed to go out?