2024 Application Thread

dr. t

13 hours ago, heyhihowareyou said:

I got an interview request from UPenn late at night on the 23rd (which I didn't see until recently -- yikes!) and it came from the Chair of Graduate Studies Ann Farnsworth-Alvear, though she is, like me, a Latin Americanist. Her email mentions meeting online with "a small group of faculty members," but doesn't specify which.

Exactly the same, also Latin Americanist although Farnsworth-Alvear is not my POI, so I think this must be the standard (as she is the Chair). 

Does anyone have any info on when Harvard is likely to release their decisions? 

Edit: Also, as a side note, my POI at Columbia told me that interviews are only held if you have not been in contact with them before the process and they are interested in you. So, an interview is a good sign, but no interview could not mean anything!

Edited by HistoryBuff1250
More info

1 hour ago, HistoryBuff1250 said:

Exactly the same, also Latin Americanist although Farnsworth-Alvear is not my POI, so I think this must be the standard (as she is the Chair). 

Does anyone have any info on when Harvard is likely to release their decisions? 

Edit: Also, as a side note, my POI at Columbia told me that interviews are only held if you have not been in contact with them before the process and they are interested in you. So, an interview is a good sign, but no interview could not mean anything!

Harvard released decisions around this week last year, and my POI told me they don't usually do interviews!

Add to the current discussion on the interview thing, does anyone have thoughts about whether Stanford does interviews this cycle? It seems to be a departmental tradition to hold on but until now only one post has been seen this year.

1 hour ago, ndoco2024 said:

Harvard released decisions around this week last year, and my POI told me they don't usually do interviews!

The fact that I know this information has driven me actually insane the last few days. I started looking into what time they sent me answers (rejections) in previous years, lol. (5-6pm) Anyone hears anything, please put the rest of us out of our misery!

On 1/25/2024 at 4:20 PM, yagiz said:

Add to the current discussion on the interview thing, does anyone have thoughts about whether Stanford does interviews this cycle? It seems to be a departmental tradition to hold on but until now only one post has been seen this year.

I have no idea... I applied there too and haven't heard anything on my end. Good to know that I'm not the only one lol

Hi everyone! This is my first time applying to PhDs and I’m super nervous. (I hold a Masters degree). Just wondering if acceptances / waitlist / rejections can actually bleed into March? Seems like a lot of schools are already starting to send out emails/letters/ etc. I haven’t heard anything yet but keep checking my email/portals. Thanks and good luck to everyone :) 

8 minutes ago, historyprincess said:

Hi everyone! This is my first time applying to PhDs and I’m super nervous. (I hold a Masters degree). Just wondering if acceptances / waitlist / rejections can actually bleed into March? Seems like a lot of schools are already starting to send out emails/letters/ etc. I haven’t heard anything yet but keep checking my email/portals. Thanks and good luck to everyone :) 

My sense is that you can check the programs you have applied to via the results section and see when these programs release their decisions in previous years. Even though the situation this year might not be exactly the same, it is still useful if we want to have a brief understanding of the days we might need to keep waiting.

2 hours ago, historyprincess said:

Yes, definitely. There are some programs that won't get back until March. You can see when individuals programs released results in previous years on the Results page. 

1 hour ago, ndoco2024 said:

The anticipation is killing me...

Same...I think Harvard might release results on Tuesday/Wednesday, as I know that in 2020 they were notified on the last Wednesday of the month and gradcafe shows it was roughly the same last year. Perhaps internal meetings scheduled for Wednesdays or something?

Edited by HistoryBuff1250

5 hours ago, dgs29 said:

Did anyone else apply to Wisconsin's HSMT program and get asked for an official transcript today/know what that means? 

// generally, any other history of science folks on here?! :)

I do believe this means you are in the process of getting the official admission and it is a required procedure. You can go to the result section and search sociology plus UW-Madison and see their discussion on this. So, congratulations!

7 hours ago, dgs29 said:

Did anyone else apply to Wisconsin's HSMT program and get asked for an official transcript today/know what that means? 

Forgot to quote XD 

hereeee, but mostly MA

15 hours ago, dgs29 said:

Also a history of science/medicine person! I did not apply to Wisconsin though.

I applied to Wisconsin for History and now I'm resigned to this being my first rejection of the season. I did not receive a request for official transcripts, as reported in results. 

Duke waitlist decisions are out! Not sure about admission/rejection decisions because I got waitlisted lol. Only schools I have heard from have been waitlists so I'm trying to stay at least a little bit positive..

11 minutes ago, historianmusicologist118 said:

Do schools release results by spurts/alphabetical order?

Departments do whatever they want. When it comes to informal acceptances, it's usually at the discretion of the POI or the DGS. When it comes to formal communications from the graduate school, it seems the most common practice is to send out acceptances, waitlists, and rejections in that order over a certain period of time.