Where are you applying? 2011 Edition

I have applied to a few MLIS programs for admission in Fall 2011. I was wondering if others here are applying to the same programs, what current students think about their programs, and why you are applying to the schools you picked. As for me, here are the programs I am applying to:

University of Alabama

Rutgers University

University of Wisconsin, Mil

San Jose State University

I picked these programs because of cost mostly, because doing an online program would allow me to work while I attend (in addition to being Mom). So far, I have heard pretty negative comments about San Jose although their website makes the program look like they make good use of available technology. Are there any other programs out there that I missed that I should be looking into?

I look forward to seeing your responses!

Edited by SimilarlyDifferent

So glad you started this topic! I am applying to LSU and Arizona (winter 2012 - they dont accept new students in the fall).

LSU is definitely my first choice because they have a dual masters program with LS and History.

Hi there!

I applied to the following schools for Fall 2011:

- UCLA (MLIS - Archival Studies)

- Pratt Institute (MLIS + Advanced Certificate in Archives)

And I'm going to apply to the following:

- Simmons (Dual major in MLIS + History/Archives)

- NYU (History/Archives)

- LIU (Specialization in Rare Books and Manuscripts)

I chose these schools because they offer programs related to Archival Studies, with the exception of LIU. They offer a dual degree in conjunction with NYU, which is really appealing. I was also checking out San Jose State's MARA (Master of Archives and Records Administration), but decided not to apply because it's not ALA-accredited.

I'll be interested to see when these results start cropping up. I applied to the University of Washington, University of North Carolina, University of South Carolina, and the University of Pittsburgh. I was accepted to Pitt yesterday but am on pins and needles regarding the other schools!

When are/were the deadlines for the places you guys applied?

Also, good luck to everyone!

I got an acceptance offer for San Jose a couple of days ago. I'm glad that I got in somewhere but, I applied there as a safety school, so I'm really waiting to hear from the others.

University of Alabama's deadline is April 15th, Rutgers' deadline is Feb 1st, and I'm not sure of U of Wisconsin.

My stats are 3.9 GPA undergrad, 590 Verbal GRE, 540 Quantative (yeah, I can't add >.>), and a 5 for the writing section. I really hope the less than stellar GRE scores don't ruin my chances at Rutgers or Alabama.

I also applied to one History PhD program. With my GRE, I know it is a long shot, but it is a local private school that isn't especially competitive (non ranked, etc.) and I know some of the faculty there so I thought I'd give it a shot and apply there too.

Edited by SimilarlyDifferent

I've applied/am applying to:

University of Michigan

University of Washington-Seattle

Syracuse University

University of Iowa

Kent State University

Honestly, I'm just hoping to get in SOMEWHERE. I would love to go to Michigan or Washington, but I don't know how I'd pay for it. Actually, I have no idea how I'll pay for any school. There aren't any MLIS programs in my state, so I have to pay out of state tuition no matter where I go. Prices for online schools aren't a whole lot better than the out of state tuition rates.

I guess if I get in I'll have to take a year off to work and earn money so that I won't have to take out so much in loans.

I'll just be glad when the waiting game is over.

• 2 weeks later...

I've applied to Wisconsin-Madison and to the Dual-Degree program in Public History and Library Sciences at Indiana University - Purdue University of Indiana. IUPUI is definitely my first choice, and I'm hoping to hear back from them soon. Not too worried about the admission to the SLIS, but the History part of my application is causing me some concern. I read somewhere that their acceptance rate was around 15%...not too promising. I suppose I can always reapply for the history department after my first semester in the SLIS, if my grades are strong enough.

I'm currently in the middle of a gap year, but I have a feeling I may be too young for some of the programs. I finished my undergrad this past May, a year early, and I'm only 21 now, so I feel like I'm definitely on the younger end of the applicant pool. Being out of school is just not for me, when I know that what I want to do requires an MLS!

Depending on my admissions results to these two schools, I will be applying to:

Simmons in Boston, dual degree program

Loyola Chicago (History) and Dominican (MLS) because they have a dual-degree program between them

Howdy!

So far I've applied to:

UCLA

Simmons

UW-Milwaukee (online)

I'm also applying to:

Pitt (online)

U of Illinois (LEEP)

I'm hoping that my 5+ years of library experience will help get into at least one of these programs. Plus I'm applying for one of the scholarships offered through ALA, so I can actually attend.

Does anyone have an idea of when decisions will be made for any of the above schools?