MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

My anxiety has now turned to irritation that I have not heard a single thing from a single school out of ten, including ones that have started interviewing. They could at least let us know that we should give up and focus on the remaining schools. Selfish, I know, to be so focused on myself when they have thousands of others to deal with.

Last Sunday I told my boyfriend that I just KNEW this past week would be THE week. Haha! But I am saying it again this Sunday: THIS WILL BE THE WEEK. Something will happen THIS week.

Hang in there Scolby! We will get word soon.

i'm in the same boat with you and Scolby, but I still think it's early to be hearing from some schools. Cross your fingers that this week is the week to hear good news!

Don't worry you are not the only one. Out of ten schools I have heard from zero. Hopefully this week.

I agree with everyone who says they now hate Sundays. I feel like I'm the only one who has heard absolutely nothing, I really think that this week will be the week where I start to get some info!

I applied to painting/drawing. Got a very nice letter, snail mail.

What program did you get rejected from Otis? I thought we were not going to hear back from them until March. Did it come e-mail or snail mail. Congratulations on your Interview. I am not sure about statistics but an interview is all ways a good thing.

Hi everybody,

I've applied at about 10 schools, from Pratt to CalState Long Beach. Rejected at Otis and Michigan, got an interview with SMFA first week of March, but have no idea what that means in terms of ultimate odds. How close is interview to accetance? Thanks, and good luck everyone! -John

What program at Long Beach are you applying? I recently graduated from there.

Painting drawing. The programs are starting to blur in my head, but as I recall they divide things into representational or conceptual. How did you like the experience?

What program at Long Beach are you applying? I recently graduated from there.

Painting drawing. The programs are starting to blur in my head, but as I recall they divide things into representational or conceptual. How did you like the experience?

Yes, its split into "Contemporary Practices" and "figurative." The CP grads get pretty nice studios but the Fig grads aren't that great. I really loved it there, its really a painterly painting program. The faculty is really great too, a lot of diversity, but there is some tension between the two camps no matter how much they try not to show it. The only regret I have is in choosing the figurative track, Im not sure what track you applied but the CP track is a lot more open to different approaches to painting, whereas the Fig track emphasizes more academic approaches to painting, I still learned a lot from it though. Good Luck, if you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer.

Yeah i got into UNC-Chapel Hill, but similarly unsure about funding.

Gonna go for the interview on saturday the 26th. Sup kingsport,, Im from Western NC... Appalachia take over!

I also got an interview with Northwestern!!!

And accepted at Univ of Wisconsin-Madison, but not sure about funding yet...

Congratulations on your interview! What day are you going?

Seriously thank you so much for the insight!!!!! You've made me feel so much better about everything!! Also that would be amazing to meet up! Ah, you're so sweet-if I decide to go ahead and head to ASU I'll def let you know :)

Back to the waiting game for me!

Dont worry about what discipline you get in under. With ASU and many schools nowadays they encourage working across disciplines. All that matters is that you got in. Many schools, including UofA where I just left, bring in people under other disciplines if their quota for one discipline is short and they know they want that person. Don't take it personal for sure. My guess is that painting was full and they still knew they wanted you so they brought you in under your secondary focus. At ASU you will be able to paint. Once you are there you can also formally change your dept focus. Even if you don't you are able to work with any faculty available that will help you grow in the program - which is fine arts. I did an in-depth visit there a couple months ago and that was a major part of the discussion. The real thing you want to ensure is that you choose your thesis committee to fit your needs. You can chose committee members from any discipline there....I have a friend that just left the painting dept at ASU and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Let me know if you chose to go to ASU and we can meet up - Im not painting, I am Intermedia, but I am sure we will do some theory classes etc together if you go.! I am in Tucson and just finished 1.5 yrs of grad non-degree fine arts work at the UofA (which would have been a GREAT place for you to go for painting!) Good luck in your choices, and keep me posted!!

I can't remember when the interview was. I went in person. I think it was the second or third day of interviews. Sometime in April or something? I liked the campus and town, as well as a the faculty. I'm hoping for some good news this year.

Hi iswanson,

I was waitlisted at RISD last year too. When did you interview? I wonder what are the chances of getting another interview this year. I'm so nervous. I really liked it there. Good luck with your apps!

I haven't heard anything from any of the seven schools I applied to. Nine programs.

I have a bad feeling. But maybe I always have that. Ha.

And I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to go to Pittsburgh to visit Carnegie Mellon on Friday (an official MFA applicants day) since I have such a slight chance of getting in anyway. But I went to their reception at the CAA and the guy I talked to seemed to imply that it can make a difference.

you got an email from them on a Sunday afternoon/ evening??! Anyways, congrats

I just got an email from Portland State saying I'm short listed and they now want my recommendations to be sent by the 22nd.

I wish I had news or something to contribute to this ongoing conversation other than I hope I hear something tomorrow, and it's almost 1 am, I have to be up at 6 30, and I can't sleep because I'm anxiously waiting to check the mail tomorrow when I get home.

.......hey im applying UCLA Photography MFA, i just got an email from their dpt head James Welling (not thru the official .edu email address tho) saying that he likes my work and I am one of the candidates that they are considering......he said "a phone call" but didn't mention anything about interview......what is that supposed to mean? I hope I didn;t get a scam or sth....

I saw a few people here getting emails for phone interviews at PennDesign, and a few people didn’t, and I personally didn’t, but I was curious because they told many people that they do not conduct interviews as part of the admission process. So I called them today –

The lady put me on the phone with Jane Irish, the coordinator. They are all super nice people and really patient. I asked her whether I should assume that I was not accepted because I didn’t get theinterview, and she told me no, and that different faculty members were interested in certain people’s work for different reasons and sometimes they request to speak with the candidates, but it’s not necessarily a selective process. She said it was an on-going process and that they do not have a final list. But she sounded a little reluctant the whole time so it sounded to me that getting an interview was definitely a positive thing, but not getting an interview doesn’t mean that you are rejected already.

However, at the end, she insisted that she needed to write down my name because she can let Joshua (the chair) know that I called. She said that it’s always good to know who’s advocating their application. That made me really nervous afterwards because I didn’t know that “advocating my application” is a positive thing at all – or is it? Is there any purpose of writing down the names of people who called or attended open house? Also, I didn't advocate my application - I simply called to ask a question, which doesn't show that I care about my application more than when I didn't call... Or maybe I'm just reading into things way too much because it been such a stressful and nerve-racking month... I’m an international student so I didn’t go to any open house or portfolio review, nor have I called any school to ask questions because it was expensive to call from abroad (and I do not even have high speed Internet for Skype to phone calls). In that case, I've done a terrible job advocating my application...

My question is – has anyone heard of this “advocating your application” thing? Does MFA application resemble a job application in a way that the more contact and connection you have with your employer/ faculty /coordinator / school the better?

Daiy, good questions! Id on't have the answers. I have been terrified to contact the programs I applied to, thinking that seeming impatient would be a detriment to my application. It seems like the whole application should be enough of an advocate... you would think.

Anybody hear anything from Carnegie Mellon? When I visited in December, the grad admissions woman, Keni, said they start sending out applications in February if you make the first pick/rejection. If you are in the middle of the pack, they wait for acceptances to come back and then send out another round based on how many spots they have left. I'm trying to resist calling to see what's going on.

.......hey im applying UCLA Photography MFA, i just got an email from their dpt head James Welling (not thru the official .edu email address tho) saying that he likes my work and I am one of the candidates that they are considering......he said "a phone call" but didn't mention anything about interview......what is that supposed to mean? I hope I didn;t get a scam or sth....

Good to hear, I was starting to wonder about them. I'm going for NG there.

Just passing along some information for those that applied to MICA.....Mt Royal only interviews about 20 people for the 12 spots in their program. Which is surprising...I thought most schools only accept about 30% of their interviewees, but that puts Mt Royal at 60%.