MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

hey there! Well now that you have made an account would you want to share where you applied and any news you have heard that might help any of us? Thanks and good luck

I SERIOUSLY JUST MADE AN ACCOUNT ONLY TO REPLY TO THIS POST......THANK YOU, WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a BA from a liberal arts school in 2006 and majored in art studio and psychology. I've been working doing something completely unrelated to art since then. I don't think you need a BFA, I think the situation is subjective, just like art is. I agree everyone has their own story so you can't compare backgrounds too much, specially in art. If you have a killer portfolio I think that would make the bigger impact. A wise prof of mine once said, think of grad school as a step in the journey you will take to become the imagist you want to become. Grad school, like undergrad, is just part of what we go through in our personal histories, what we make of it is what matters. I'm trying very hard not to freak out about these art school applications. I played a little tennis today (I'm a beginner) and that helped get my mind off the situation while I can't do anything about it ::Breathe::

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make assumptions. I should rephrase and say "between undergraduate and graduate".

I just graduated (Fall 2010) and I've applied for this coming fall. I'm 22. I feel like I am in the right mindset for graduate school. However, I didn't get into my number one choice and it's made me rethink going straight into grad school.

Thanks for all the feedback!

You're making the assumption that we all have BFAs.

The F is not really a requirement, nor is a the A, really.

I got my BA (not in art) 8 years ago.

When I look back at this, your question has a certain validity in terms of asking the BFAs here how long they're waited. If you have a BFA and you're going for an MFA you've always known what you wanted to do so it's a different issue for you guys. Still, I've heard some schools want you to have had at least a year off if not more. Others don't really care much.

Those without BFAs have probably followed a different path and probably taken a little longer.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make assumptions. I should rephrase and say "between undergraduate and graduate".

I just graduated (Fall 2010) and I've applied for this coming fall. I'm 22. I feel like I am in the right mindset for graduate school. However, I didn't get into my number one choice and it's made me rethink going straight into grad school.

Thanks for all the feedback!

im 23 and I went from high school to a B.A, then B.F.A to an M.A and now to an M.F.A with two residencies during the summer in between. I honestly love and hated it but its the only thing that works for me. people say you need time between degrees but for me that is what summer is for, traveling and life experience. I do feel at times it has really helped my work but also kept me in a very specific conversation. I'd always looked at it as my BFA was a break in between two critical studies degrees and an MA as a break between two art degrees. I feel at the moment i am in a perfect situation for an MFA but it seem that my staying in the school might be a hindrance to admission

Edited by LeeP

No one is a bigger f****ing idiot than me....on two of my apps, (hopefully just those two) in my SOP's I spelled three-dimensional wrong. You would never believe I won second place in a spelling bee in 5th grade. Damn spellcheck has ruined me...and somehow it wasn't working when I wrote my statements.

so...I just realized that on my Rutgers application I said my birthday was March 1, 2010.

what a fucking idiot.

Oh my goodness, just two days away from the forum and I see people have recieved letters from Columbia . . . of course I am out of town! Now my neighbor will have to pry open the mailbox for me. whew.

I finished my BFA a little early, Winter 2009 and moved to New York to see what i could do with it. i really loved my time trying to figure it out, i was lucky to support myself with some gallery representation in soho. unfotunately i found pretty quickly that the particular people i was working with were only interested in me making the same work after three years. no thank you! after 5 years out of school i've very eager to be back in an acedemic environment. my work has excellerated as much as it could in that time, I realized that by not having a community of artists everything stagnated.

so ready to be back in a studio, full time!

I got a call from Rutgers that I got accepted and a letter arrived yesterday. its says that I have to write a letter about teaching experience and financial need. did you get that one? or that what you are looking for.

now I have a question. who called you from Columbia?

thank

t

I received a letter of acceptance from Rutgers and was wondering if other people who have been accepted have heard financial aid details? The letter was pretty brief and basically just said I was admitted.

Yale: Interview

Columbia: Interview

MICA: Interview

Rutgers: Accepted

U of Washington: Accepted

VCU:

RISD:

It's all relative. Some people have entire other careers before going to grad school, some people are like you. Both seem to work.

im 23 and I went from high school to a B.A, then B.F.A to an M.A and now to an M.F.A with two residencies during the summer in between. I honestly love and hated it but its the only thing that works for me. people say you need time between degrees but for me that is what summer is for, traveling and life experience. I do feel at times it has really helped my work but also kept me in a very specific conversation. I'd always looked at it as my BFA was a break in between two critical studies degrees and an MA as a break between two art degrees. I feel at the moment i am in a perfect situation for an MFA but it seem that my staying in the school might be a hindrance to admission

Edited by toomuchinternet

Technically there wasn't that long between my BFA and applying to MFA programs, but I also took like 7 years to finish my BFA. Took a couple years off in the middle and went back to finish up one course about 2 years ago. I'm 28, and definitely have seen substantial growth in my work in the last 3 years. There is no doubt I wouldn't have gotten much of substance out of an MFA program if I had attempted any sooner.

I am in my very late 20's and I took 5 years off in the MIDDLE of my BFA but I just finished my degree in 2010. I just did my time off to work and make art a little backwards. I certainly don't think I would have been ready at 22 but that was just me and the place I was in at the time. I'm certain that the age for MFA runs the gamut between right out of undergrad to people in their 40's. I don't think its about age but about how much your art has had the opportunity to mature.

While I definitely think that those who have pursued other careers and done things other than school before starting an MFA program perhaps have alot more motivation, after realizing that I wont be attending grad school in fall more than likely it is quite frustrating. I may be fairly young and almost straight out of undergraduate school for my BFA, however, I am certain that I could never do anything but something involved with art. I ONLY want to pursue art and I have alot of direction. I think because of financial situations I will have to teach middle/ high school for awhile before trying to apply again. I am not sure my art or who I am will change enough within a year to completely change schools' opinions as far as admitting me. I think it is rather disappointing that I would be looked at as less capable simply because of my age or lack of experience outside of school.

No one is a bigger f****ing idiot than me....on two of my apps, (hopefully just those two) in my SOP's I spelled three-dimensional wrong. You would never believe I won second place in a spelling bee in 5th grade. Damn spellcheck has ruined me...and somehow it wasn't working when I wrote my statements.

haha!

awwww. that makes me feel a bit better. I bet admissions people understand when things like this happen.

In the fury of application season its difficult to keep track of things like when you were born and how to spell!

After applying online they send me an email titled "Your RISD Application" and gave me a risd id number that was suposed to be included in any email I sent them and on portfolio cd, and any document I send them- intent, image sheet, cv...

I wouldn't get worked up about it.

I missed the whole cca web advisor thing too until recently- I went back and searched my email and there it was unread.

uh oh! There was a RISD ID! I guess I missed that...unsure.gif

As for the BFA / BA conversation...

The RISD information session I attended included a panel of graduate students... a good portion of them had earned degrees other than their BFA (BAs or whatever), and a good portion also were working in media different from what they'd been doing prior to working on their MFA. The gal who showed us around the printmaking facilities told us she'd barely included any prints in her portfolio when she applied; she also suggested that little outside the portfolio has much of a baring on whether you're accepted or not. I'm not sure if that applies to all schools or just RISD.

Ya- I was there in november an Dean the sculpture head said they hardly read the letters of rec. He's like oh- you found 3 people who like you..

The RISD information session I attended included a panel of graduate students... a good portion of them had earned degrees other than their BFA (BAs or whatever), and a good portion also were working in media different from what they'd been doing prior to working on their MFA. The gal who showed us around the printmaking facilities told us she'd barely included any prints in her portfolio when she applied; she also suggested that little outside the portfolio has much of a baring on whether you're accepted or not. I'm not sure if that applies to all schools or just RISD.