MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

Similar situation - faculty recommendation, good portfolio, didn't even get an interview, even faculty who wrote the recommendations are completely surprised. It was not meant to be. Talked to some Yale and UCLA MFA grads who got their MFA more than 10 years ago, Their advice is to do MFA if you get a good deal or free ride or to get artists you like to advise you privately with pay instead of getting huge loans for the school.

In a similar position myself with somewhere, won't say too much about it other than i found it quite baffling, actually.

I have one more wait for a school that is such a good fit that a rejection ......... i might have to get a new brain fitted or something, I really wouldnt be able to take it in.

Received financial aid info from SMFA (their scholarship) - accepted over a week ago

ICP-Bard: accepted (e-mail) - waiting to hear about funding

MassArt: accepted (e-mail, phone call & snail mail)

SVA: accepted as a GSAL student (snail mail)

Parsons: wait list (snail mail)

RISD: wait list (e-mail)

NYU: interview over a week ago - waiting

Columbia University: waiting

CCA folks - I was offered a merit scholarship to CCA. I was contacted by a faculty member about it 3 weeks ago and then received confirmation with my acceptance letter today.

Congratulations Bonsai!

I'm with all of you other CCA's who did not get a merit scholarship and feeling very depressed about the entire expense of it all. Reality is beginning to hit and it seems to be a major major commitment to a life of debt.

@ Bonsai: That's great! I'm glad that you were given a merit scholarship!~it's good to know there was some money out there. Can I ask which dept you applied through?

@Cobalt: I forgot, did you hear from Pratt?

Congratulations Bonsai!

I'm with all of you other CCA's who did not get a merit scholarship and feeling very depressed about the entire expense of it all. Reality is beginning to hit and it seems to be a major major commitment to a life of debt.

@ Bonsai: That's great! I'm glad that you were given a merit scholarship!~it's good to know there was some money out there. Can I ask which dept you applied through?

@Cobalt: I forgot, did you hear from Pratt?

I haven't heard a word from Pratt! I'm really hoping this week I'll hear something!

So NONE of us got these so-called merit scholarships? I don't believe it... Anyway, I think Grad school is a great investment, although I already owe a fair amount for my undergrad, so how much is too much? Are any of you fellow CCA kids planning to visit next month? What do you think is the most amount of 'financial aid' we can expect? I'm still pretty depressed about it all.

Oh, and yes, I'm hoping to attend the open studios on the 10th.

When and how did you hear from SVA? and for what program did you apply?

I heard today by letter and a phone call today. Charles Traub called me earlier today to let me know. I applied to the Photography, Video and Related Media program.

Edited by Arsolo

My understanding is that merit based scholarships or graduate merit awards come together with the admission notification letter. I got a major graduate merit award and it was highlighted bold in the admission letter with a congratulatory note of an almost full paragraph.

I do not know about need based financing. It would make sense that need based financing is decided later once the candidates send back their confirmation of accepting the offer and all forms and documents about their financial status.

I am a bit confused and extremely stressed about financial aid. Are schools obligated to tell you what they are offering before the accept date?

I heard today by letter and a phone call today. Charles Traub called me earlier today to let me know. I applied to the Photography, Video and Related Media program.

did he mention anything about possible funding? i received the admission package a few days ago, but no word on funding...im just wondering if they even give people offers.

did he mention anything about possible funding? i received the admission package a few days ago, but no word on funding...im just wondering if they even give people offers.

No mention. Since I'm in New Haven for my interview at Yale I had someone else open the letter for me that I got at home. If I recall correctly there was nothing in the envelope except the letter saying I was admitted (+ info about a $1000 deposit to guarentee my spot, I think).

I've been told the most SVA can give is $4.000...

I will be attending for the open studio weekend. I haven't received info about financial aid yet- it says in the acceptance letter that it will arrive shortly...here's to hoping it's helpful!

So NONE of us got these so-called merit scholarships? I don't believe it... Anyway, I think Grad school is a great investment, although I already owe a fair amount for my undergrad, so how much is too much? Are any of you fellow CCA kids planning to visit next month? What do you think is the most amount of 'financial aid' we can expect? I'm still pretty depressed about it all.

From the "accepted students" page:

"Throughout the month of April, Financial Aid Awards will be available for students to view on our secure online student site. You will receive an email at the email address listed on your fafsa, providing a link to your award with instructions for viewing and responding to your offer."

has anyone who has been accepted to calarts heard anything about funding??

From the "accepted students" page:

"Throughout the month of April, Financial Aid Awards will be available for students to view on our secure online student site. You will receive an email at the email address listed on your fafsa, providing a link to your award with instructions for viewing and responding to your offer."

thanks! is this just for need-based awards through fafsa, or do you know if the school gives merit-based aid, like scholarships?

Edited by playing the waiting game

Just got my acceptance letter to NYU ITP via email!!!!!!!! :D

I don't know why, but I didn't get interviewed for either Parsons OR NYU for *both* their digital art/media programs. I also recieved similar merit scholarships + assistantship oppotunities for both schools... has anyone tried to negotiate a better deal between schools before? Initially I was leaning towards Parsons since I thought that NYU wouldn't give me a scholarship, but now it's pretty much equal. I just don't know which school to pick now, since both of them are great