MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

I am concerned about this MICA switch up thing also!!!!! Very weird that it has happened to several people!

On a separate note, but still concerning MICA, this is the email Chris sent me in reponse to a question I asked him today:

Thanks for your email--each program conducts their interview schedules slightly differently. I believe that Rinehart will be contacting finalists for interviews over the next few weeks, thought I am not sure how many they intend to interview.

As will all of our programs, interviews are not a pre-requisite for admission.

Thank you,

But this all sorta seems like BS. I dont know what to think! Why are they so evasive? Just tell us already!

Accepted to ASU Intermedia on 2/10/11 - good luck :)

Thought I'd add my list to the pile:

Northwestern

ASU

Notre Dame

Tulane

NIU

UCSD

USC

Uni. Washington

blink.gif Happy the application process is done.

Edited by aimeeleon

Buffalo was a super yes to apply to, and I talked to them many many times over the last few months, and got to know some of them pretty well over the phone but when it came down to it, I didn't apply. They even called to make sure I was, but I decided to only apply to my 2 favs : ASU and Otis. ASU I have a written acceptance, Otis I have a 'verbal-ish'. Would have loved to go to Buffalo...good luck!! -

anyone apply to Univ. of Texas San Antonio or Univ. at Buffalo?????

Buffalo was a super yes to apply to, and I talked to them many many times over the last few months, and got to know some of them pretty well over the phone but when it came down to it, I didn't apply. They even called to make sure I was, but I decided to only apply to my 2 favs : ASU and Otis. ASU I have a written acceptance, Otis I have a 'verbal-ish'. Would have loved to go to Buffalo...good luck!! -

yeah seems like a pretty great program. congrats and good luck to you too!

From what I understand from talking to Otis over the last several months, it is very department specific about notifications, and when I did talk to an advisor last week, she said notifications will be early March for most everyone. I have been in direct contact with my department head (which is not painting) over several months, and have been given a "looks good" verbal from her. I am going out there to do a Practicum with them in a couple weeks, so I assume I will know for sure by then. I would guess they would not be continually inviting me out to do work with them, if I wasn't in however. I believe I am just waiting on a formality but I never take anything for granted. Let me know when you hear! if you get in, let me know as well and maybe we can grab a coffee...

Painting under Fine Arts

From looking at everyone's great work on their websites, I'm afraid maybe I was just a big fish in a little pond, or something like that! Maybe I should have waited a couple years to develop my work before applying! Yikes. O well. Congrats everyone with all these interviews!

its still really early have hope!!!!! you will get into the right place for you!

From looking at everyone's great work on their websites, I'm afraid maybe I was just a big fish in a little pond, or something like that! Maybe I should have waited a couple years to develop my work before applying! Yikes. O well. Congrats everyone with all these interviews!

I agree! Cheer up babes, you'll find your fit!

Any idea on when Uni of Washington alerts its picks or if they do interviews? curious...

Good luck all! Schools that I applied to include:

SAIC

MICA

University of Washington

Biting my fingernails! Looking forward to posting in the near future.

Accepted ASU for ceramics...rejected for painting. Subjective much????? My painting by far is stronger. I give up trying to figure this "system" out.....blink.gif

Sigh-No where near my first choice pick but nice to have an offer...March please come sooner!!!

Edited by HopeDreamPaint

Soo weird!! They probably get more applicants for painting so is a bigger lottery ticket!

Accepted ASU for ceramics...rejected for painting. Subjective much????? My painting by far is stronger. I give up trying to figure this "system" out.....blink.gif

Sigh-No where near my first choice pick but nice to have an offer...March please come sooner!!!

Sounds good. Thanks for all the info

From what I understand from talking to Otis over the last several months, it is very department specific about notifications, and when I did talk to an advisor last week, she said notifications will be early March for most everyone. I have been in direct contact with my department head (which is not painting) over several months, and have been given a "looks good" verbal from her. I am going out there to do a Practicum with them in a couple weeks, so I assume I will know for sure by then. I would guess they would not be continually inviting me out to do work with them, if I wasn't in however. I believe I am just waiting on a formality but I never take anything for granted. Let me know when you hear! if you get in, let me know as well and maybe we can grab a coffee...

Someone said they already heard even before the deadline via email....I submitted a few weeks before the deadline and have heard nothing. I'm thinking that's a bad sign

has anyone heard anything from Purchase? i know they interview march 9th but i have no idea when they notify...

Hm--I don't know if I'd assume that it's a bad thing: since the deadline was only 10 days ago, I'd assume that they're in the middle of the bulk of reviews now, and will be sending out interview notifications soon...just wondered if anyone had heard yet. Very strange that someone hear pre-deadline--!

Someone said they already heard even before the deadline via email....I submitted a few weeks before the deadline and have heard nothing. I'm thinking that's a bad sign

True, it hasn't been that long. There's a lot of reasons why someone could have heard so early. We've gotta hear soon....the interviews are all March 9th! If I don't hear by like March 2nd, I'm going to call and ask.

Hm--I don't know if I'd assume that it's a bad thing: since the deadline was only 10 days ago, I'd assume that they're in the middle of the bulk of reviews now, and will be sending out interview notifications soon...just wondered if anyone had heard yet. Very strange that someone hear pre-deadline--!

Dont worry about what discipline you get in under. With ASU and many schools nowadays they encourage working across disciplines. All that matters is that you got in. Many schools, including UofA where I just left, bring in people under other disciplines if their quota for one discipline is short and they know they want that person. Don't take it personal for sure. My guess is that painting was full and they still knew they wanted you so they brought you in under your secondary focus. At ASU you will be able to paint. Once you are there you can also formally change your dept focus. Even if you don't you are able to work with any faculty available that will help you grow in the program - which is fine arts. I did an in-depth visit there a couple months ago and that was a major part of the discussion. The real thing you want to ensure is that you choose your thesis committee to fit your needs. You can chose committee members from any discipline there....I have a friend that just left the painting dept at ASU and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Let me know if you chose to go to ASU and we can meet up - Im not painting, I am Intermedia, but I am sure we will do some theory classes etc together if you go.! I am in Tucson and just finished 1.5 yrs of grad non-degree fine arts work at the UofA (which would have been a GREAT place for you to go for painting!) Good luck in your choices, and keep me posted!!

Dont worry about what discipline you get in under. With ASU and many schools nowadays they encourage working across disciplines. All that matters is that you got in. Many schools, including UofA where I just left, bring in people under other disciplines if their quota for one discipline is short and they know they want that person. Don't take it personal for sure. My guess is that painting was full and they still knew they wanted you so they brought you in under your secondary focus. At ASU you will be able to paint. Once you are there you can also formally change your dept focus. Even if you don't you are able to work with any faculty available that will help you grow in the program - which is fine arts. I did an in-depth visit there a couple months ago and that was a major part of the discussion. The real thing you want to ensure is that you choose your thesis committee to fit your needs. You can chose committee members from any discipline there....I have a friend that just left the painting dept at ASU and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Let me know if you chose to go to ASU and we can meet up - Im not painting, I am Intermedia, but I am sure we will do some theory classes etc together if you go.! I am in Tucson and just finished 1.5 yrs of grad non-degree fine arts work at the UofA (which would have been a GREAT place for you to go for painting!) Good luck in your choices, and keep me posted!!

Hey ASU is my top choice for photography....I have not heard from them and I always log in to check my status. Just says under review. I don't think I will get in though...when I visited in December I was told 90 people apply to photo and they only take 4.

I got an interview for SAIC for printmedia. The letter came today. Has anyone heard from them regarding painting yet?

Got an interview invite at SAIC by mail today. This just made my day :)

Good luck and keep me posted!! Its a great photo program. I am primarily photo but do some video and performance too which is why I went Intermedia....let me know what happens!

Hey ASU is my top choice for photography....I have not heard from them and I always log in to check my status. Just says under review. I don't think I will get in though...when I visited in December I was told 90 people apply to photo and they only take 4.