MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

45 minutes ago, cowboyheehaw said:

SAIC sculpture invites are out! Are any of you thinking about going in person?

Also got a second interview invitation with Parsons for scholarship consideration. 

which program are you applying to ? 

1 minute ago, iamscared said:

So it’s specifically for scholarships? Or admissions interview. I only got one interview now I’m nervous 😕

Yeah, it's for scholarship consideration. Right after my first interview, I received an email that said they will be making decisions over the month and we should expect to hear from admissions early-mid March. This is the some of the text from the second interview request: 

"You have been identified as one of the high ranking candidates in our 2024 graduate admissions process and have been recommended to be considered for a tuition reduction scholarship."

What department did you apply/interview with?

Hi everyone, question about interviews. What should you say for the question, "Tell me a little about yourself". I always feel like I give a vague answer by just stating where I go to college and my major but also doesn't want to give my whole life story.

5 minutes ago, cowboyheehaw said:

Yeah, it's for scholarship consideration. Right after my first interview, I received an email that said they will be making decisions over the month and we should expect to hear from admissions early-mid March. This is the some of the text from the second interview request: 

"You have been identified as one of the high ranking candidates in our 2024 graduate admissions process and have been recommended to be considered for a tuition reduction scholarship."

What department did you apply/interview with?

Fine arts. But I now feel like I have been rejected. I got an interview and said to wait till march as well. But didn’t get  an email for a second 

2 minutes ago, iamscared said:

Fine arts. But I now feel like I have been rejected. I got an interview and said to wait till march as well. But didn’t get  an email for a second 

I imagine they will be admitting people without scholarship consideration. Don't count yourself out yet. I don't know your financial situation but I wouldn't be able to do grad school without significant funding and qualified for an application waiver, I imagine that has something to do with being part of the scholarship consideration pool. 

6 minutes ago, anxiouscluber said:

Hi everyone, question about interviews. What should you say for the question, "Tell me a little about yourself". I always feel like I give a vague answer by just stating where I go to college and my major but also doesn't want to give my whole life story.

Maybe use it as an opportunity to soft open on what your research interests are? Like, you could mention what you've been reading, or other artists you've been referencing? Like "oh, well some of my favorite authors are such an such. Especially this essay on whatever whatever impacts my work a lot. I guess I would probably personally tie it back to the work as much as you can? That's my impulse at least

3 minutes ago, cowboyheehaw said:

I imagine they will be admitting people without scholarship consideration. Don't count yourself out yet. I don't know your financial situation but I wouldn't be able to do grad school without significant funding and qualified for an application waiver, I imagine that has something to do with being part of the scholarship consideration pool. 

I am so worried no program would accept me. I was confident about parson for an interview. But I had no idea there were rounds. But thank u for the little hope I appreciate it !! 

3 minutes ago, iamscared said:

I am so worried no program would accept me. I was confident about parson for an interview. But I had no idea there were rounds. But thank u for the little hope I appreciate it !! 

It's not over till it's over! Are there other programs you are excited about?

I have had so many rejections the past two years. I have gotten a lot more recently too, always a hard pill to swallow. I think that is one thing that all creatives and artists have in common- getting shot down but always finding a way to get back up. We wouldn't be here applying to grad school if we weren't already resilient to get here in the first place!

Got interviews with SAIC and MassArt today, wondering if people are going to Chicago in person? Any advice about that would be so cool.. I'm nervous 

8 minutes ago, sweet dreams said:

I have had so many rejections the past two years. I have gotten a lot more recently too, always a hard pill to swallow. I think that is one thing that all creatives and artists have in common- getting shot down but always finding a way to get back up. We wouldn't be here applying to grad school if we weren't already resilient to get here in the first place!

Got interviews with SAIC and MassArt today, wondering if people are going to Chicago in person? Any advice about that would be so cool.. I'm nervous 

One of the professors I had as a reccomender offered to do a mock interview with me, so maybe reach out and see if anyone might do that for you? Theres also a lot of tips on the  art prof website, so maybe check that out?

2 minutes ago, MOMOMOMO said:

Does anyone know if RISD sent out all the interviews? I saw someone got the email last week.

I applied for Photo but heard nothing yet. I guess it's a rejection.

I really have no idea. I haven't heard anything either, but I will reiterate that I was contacted for an interview on Feb 21st last year. So I dont think we're necessarily out of the running just yet. Fingers crossed for both you and me!

Hi! congrats to everyone whose had interviews! This week is super stressful but I keep my fingers crossed for everyone :)

i applied to SAIC, RISD, Upenn and Yale. So far, I got interviews with all 3 and am still waiting on Yale. Wondering if anyone knows when we should expect to hear back from Yale? 

good luck y’all!!!

4 minutes ago, Ztheratt said:

Hi! congrats to everyone whose had interviews! This week is super stressful but I keep my fingers crossed for everyone :)

i applied to SAIC, RISD, Upenn and Yale. So far, I got interviews with all 3 and am still waiting on Yale. Wondering if anyone knows when we should expect to hear back from Yale? 

good luck y’all!!!

Congratulations!! Are you going to do your SAIC interview in person or online do you think?

4 minutes ago, bunnie99 said:

I really have no idea. I haven't heard anything either, but I will reiterate that I was contacted for an interview on Feb 21st last year. So I dont think we're necessarily out of the running just yet. Fingers crossed for both you and me!

thx! u really cheer me up! 🤞🤞🤞Fingers crossed for both of us!!!

4 minutes ago, sweet dreams said:

Congratulations!! Are you going to do your SAIC interview in person or online do you think?

Thank you so much!! I will probably be doing it online because chicago is a bit far from where I live !

6 hours ago, Snailz said:

Also got my UW-Madison rejection today... hoping for better news soon from my other schools 🤞🏼

Side-note, does anyone have any advice for how to keep a positive mindset while getting rejections? I have been feeling very discouraged after getting rejection after rejection. 

Well my advice is grieve each one. I think there's no point in ONLY staying positive. My personal advice is to schedule a few hours to feel 100% disgustingly sad for every rejection. I mean that literally. Say "I will feel terrible for the next four hours and then I have to wait until next Wednesday to feel terrible again". I learned this in therapy, and it sounds so stupid but I swear it does work. 

Rejections suck. Pretending they don't won't help. Just bathe in the misery for a bit, and then climb back out. Like anything, rejection is a skill that takes practice to master. 

You have to also remember that even without that school, you're a good artist. You know you're a good artist, or you wouldn't have applied in the first place. Nobody goes to this much trouble without recognizing they're worth the effort. You ARE going to be fine, but first, you're going to be sad. Sad first, then fine, then determined. 

Sorry to put this in the same post, there's a timer on replies and I only log in once a day for my own sanity:

2 hours ago, cowboyheehaw said:

SAIC sculpture invites are out! Are any of you thinking about going in person?

Also got a second interview invitation with Parsons for scholarship consideration. 

I just got mine too, I assumed if we didn't hear from them on the 2nd that counted as rejection, but I guess not. I'm going to Northwestern's interview in person and can't afford to fly to Chicago two weekends in a row so I'll have to Zoom with SAIC. Are you going? Tell me how it goes if so.

Still waiting for Yale Sculpture like the rest of you. Someone I virtually guarantee is getting an interview hasn't heard back and they're my barometer. 

Edited by Gkrenz

I'm waiting for word from Yale Painting as well. Like many others, I thought (based on previous years) that we would receive interview emails today. Given that it's just past 5p EST (same as Yale), I believe we all have to wait another day and exhale after a grueling day of refreshing here.

On to tomorrow. 

Edited by thebricoleur