MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

I just had my interview with Cranbrook Painting, and it went really well; I think someone else here said it was very friendly and relaxed, and that was the case. They asked me to talk about my work freely, then asked me about research and community, and then I asked them if they would be willing to give me a small critique of my work, which they did. Very positive.

I have my Yale interview on Thursday also for painting.

Applied to and haven't heard anything from: UCLA, RISD, RCA London, Bard, Columbia

38 minutes ago, Stormy2226 said:

I just had my interview with Cranbrook Painting, and it went really well; I think someone else here said it was very friendly and relaxed, and that was the case. They asked me to talk about my work freely, then asked me about research and community, and then I asked them if they would be willing to give me a small critique of my work, which they did. Very positive.

I have my Yale interview on Thursday also for painting.

Applied to and haven't heard anything from: UCLA, RISD, RCA London, Bard, Columbia

what is the structure of your Yale interview? mine is Friday. Do you mind giving feedback on Thursday after about how it went and what they asked? 

6 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

Accepted to RISD Ceramics this morning. Informal email promising a formal acceptance and financial aid info to follow "over the next few weeks"

Congrats!! 

I had an interview on Friday. However, since I haven't heard back, it seems like I was rejected...

On 2/17/2024 at 7:54 PM, sixseveneight said:

Thanks for posting and congrats!

Oof. Guess UCLA is officially off the table for me. If they never send me an actual rejection then I don't have any interest in applying again and will definitely send an email to the faculty saying that I think that is absolutely unacceptable and they should be ashamed. Lol I'm not even kidding. I won't word it that way but I think that is just deplorable. You are accepting chunks of cash from people and can't even send them a rejection? There's no excuse, Yale gets literally thousands of applications and they send out rejections efficiently and promptly. UCLA has way less applicants. Ugh sorry to rant.

yeah ucla was way too expensive for them to ghost us 

41 minutes ago, Gradboriss said:

Congrats!! 

I had an interview on Friday. However, since I haven't heard back, it seems like I was rejected...

What department? Did they give you a timeline? My interviewer reached out to me informally by email, but my formal offer wont come for another couple of weeks she said. So it might still be coming your way!

1 hour ago, bunnie99 said:

What department? Did they give you a timeline? My interviewer reached out to me informally by email, but my formal offer wont come for another couple of weeks she said. So it might still be coming your way!

I also applied for ceramics. I even sent her a follow-up email after the interview, but haven't heard anything about informal offers or a timeline.🥲

21 minutes ago, Gradboriss said:

I also applied for ceramics. I even sent her a follow-up email after the interview, but haven't heard anything about informal offers or a timeline.🥲

Well it's not over till its over! you're probably too cool for them anyways

Hey guys. What are your thoughts on mentioning a professors name in the interview? Do you think it leaves a positive impact even if you had no prior contact with them and you didn't mention their name in your SOP?

7 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

Does anyone know what kind of funding SAIC usually gives out?

They give out merit based scholarships and each scholarship is valued at ranges from 20% to up to 100% of total tuition fees.

21 hours ago, epelias said:

Just received my rejection from U Ark

"The faculty have completed their evaluation of this year’s candidates, and I write with sincere regret to say that we are not able to offer you a place in the MFA Program of Studio Art at the University of Arkansas.  

I realize that this decision may come as a disappointment.  Of those who have applied to our program, most are fully capable of doing successful work and making a unique contribution to the Studio community.  So many of the applicants have demonstrated real achievement and potential for the future.  Our decisions say far more about the small number of spaces available and the difficult choices we make than they do about a candidate’s academic promise.  

While regretting that we were not able to respond positively to your interest in the University of Arkansas, I want to wish you every success in your educational pursuits.  Experience suggests that regardless of our decisions, most of our applicants will be welcomed by other outstanding colleges.  I extend my best wishes for the coming year."

Did they send this via email?

10 minutes ago, sad face said:

Yale interview was soooo brutal. 🤯

I guess I will be rejected ... 

for what it’s worth if you look at previous years some people think their yale interviews went great and don’t get in and some think it absolutely crashed and burned and get in. I wouldn’t totally write it off yet. 

23 hours ago, yosemite119 said:

congrats on the acceptance! waiting on graphic design... have people already interviewed for that department? 

Hey! They've already sent out acceptances for gd, both 2 and 3 year. so that process is all over for RISD

1 hour ago, sad face said:

Yale interview was soooo brutal. 🤯

I guess I will be rejected ... 

Keep an open mind, and try not to resign yourself to an outcome preemptively! I know a couple of people from past cycles who felt like their Yale interviews didn't go so well, but were ultimately admitted into the program.