MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

1 hour ago, MFA108 said:

If you had the choice between RISD and Yale for graduate studies in painting/visual arts, which would you choose? regardless of funding options. I keep seeing different ratings between the schools based on international and domestic rankings.

Completely different pedagogies, no? 

Had my SAIC interview on the 24th, I think it went okay? All I feel like I can really do is answer the questions truthfully lol, Haven't heard back, if anyone hears from the painting/drawing dept let me know :) I also got a tour of the facilities, They have really great resources in terms of equipment and lots of new buildings 

7 minutes ago, epelias said:

Ceramics. No interview and they did interviews in the beginning of February (at least for the ceramics department)

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I interviewed on Feb 5th for printmaking and haven't heard anything since...ughhhh.

Has anyone heard anything from the following programs specifically for ceramics (unless otherwise mentioned)

- LSU

- George Washington (Fine Arts)

- RISD

- MICA Mount Royal School of Art (Multidisciplinary MFA)

- VCU 

- Columbia College Chicago 

12 minutes ago, arthoe1997 said:

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I interviewed on Feb 5th for printmaking and haven't heard anything since...ughhhh.

It is okay. I am from New Orleans and I take classes art classes at Tulane, so maybe getting out is just my next step. Amazing facilities though and the faculty is great. I had an interview with MassArt and I really like the program so fingers crossed, and I am waiting on a couple others.  

Tulane only interviews a couple people so I'm sure it's a good sign! I will ask around though, I know someone in the department.

annndddd I spoke too soon. Just received an informal rejection from VCU. This wasn't in my portal but from a professor after I emailed with a question.

"I regret to inform you that you have not been accepted to VCU this year. We received a large and extremely competitive applicant pool this cycle. We had some good discussions about your work, and we see a lot of potential in your portfolio. Thank you for your interest in VCU."

I guess it is good that they see potential? From what I've heard VCU is very competitive for Ceramics.

21 minutes ago, epelias said:

It is okay. I am from New Orleans and I take classes art classes at Tulane, so maybe getting out is just my next step. Amazing facilities though and the faculty is great. I had an interview with MassArt and I really like the program so fingers crossed, and I am waiting on a couple others.  

Tulane only interviews a couple people so I'm sure it's a good sign! I will ask around though, I know someone in the department.

That's so cool you get to take classes there. I've heard New Orleans is a wonderful city. 

and Thank you ☺️ I was stoked when I got the interview but it is sooo competitive and fully funded so I don't want to get my hopes up too much. If you do hear anythingthough, please let me know! Best of luck with the rest of your applications 

51 minutes ago, arthoe1997 said:

Does anyone know how long Tulane gives accepted students to make their decisions?

There is a thing called the CGS that most schools are a part of that, by law, gives applicants until April 15th to make a decision. A lot of schools don’t tell applicants about it. But google it and it lists all the schools. Tulane is part of it.

this is from the CGS website: “The April 15 resolution is an agreement among the signatory graduate schools to provide applicants until April 15 to consider offers of admission that also include financial support.”

anyone heard anything re: admission decisions from vcu? was expecting a decision today at the latest 🥲 i saw the one person received their unofficial rejection over email after emailing a prof

Edited by coolgirl

36 minutes ago, coolgirl said:

anyone heard anything re: admission decisions from vcu? was expecting a decision today at the latest 🥲 i saw the one person received their unofficial rejection over email after emailing a prof

when i interviewed friday they said i would be hearing from them by the end of this week so I'm assuming march 1 or the 3rd. i interviewed for sculpture. 

Just now, cinnamoroll8 said:

when i interviewed friday they said i would be hearing from them by the end of this week so I'm assuming march 1 or the 3rd. i interviewed for sculpture. 

okay good to know! I was def at the beginning of their interviews and i thought they said we'd hear this past friday or this monday at the latest, but maybe i misunderstood and it's this upcoming week / weekend. thank you!

Anyone interviewing for NYU Steinhardt?

Also does anyone have any ideas of where to find outside funding (grants or scholarships)? Trying to avoid taking out loans at all cost but it looks like that is the name of the game?????

9 hours ago, MFA108 said:

If you had the choice between RISD and Yale for graduate studies in painting/visual arts, which would you choose? regardless of funding options. I keep seeing different ratings between the schools based on international and domestic rankings.

@MFA108 here is an article on Yale: https://artillerymag.com/24755/

I do not have an article for RISD though lol