MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

On 1/28/2024 at 9:20 PM, Gamja said:

Hello all, I am applying to 8 schools in the US and Canada in painting/fine art:

- Yale

- hunter

- SVA 

- saic

- pratt

- vcu 

- UofT (Canada) 

- OCAD (Canada)

I had my SVA zoom interview yesterday, and wanted to share the experience with you.

It was super casual, and it went on for 30minutes (it was supposed to be 20) with one professor. He was very kind and briefly explained the program, and asked me to explain my process and what I have been working on as he was looking through my portfolio. I talked about what is integral to my studio practice, my plans for the next work, and what I hope to learn at SVA. Then he asked me about my professional experience and that’s when I explained why I left my job to apply to grad school this year. Because the duration of the interview was pretty short, I tried to keep my answers as concise as possible. He seemed very fond of my work, and kept on mentioning how I am a great candidate and that I should ask for more financial support as soon as I receive my acceptance letter. He was also very curious about other programs that I applied to, and told me that he teaches at both SVA and Yale, which kind of got my hopes up for Yale LOL *sigh* 

Hii!! congrats on the good interview. I was wondering if they let you know when you'd hear back with a decision? 

1 hour ago, Wifiwitch0 said:

anybody hear from UCSD, UCI, CORNELL and Rutgers? 

Based on grad cafe, last year someone got a Rutgers interview invite on January 31st so maybe they will send emails out tomorrow if they are on the same pace as last year. And for UC Irvine someone received an interview invite on Feb 3rd and for UCSD the interview invite was on Feb 9th. And I didn't apply to Cornell.

Hoping we all hear back soon because I am getting tired of refreshing my email and checking my website analytics 🫠

30 minutes ago, yesmaam said:

Had an interview with Stanford on Friday, waiting to hear back about the decision for the second round of in-person excursions to then wait for a final decision lol 

Wow congratulations!! Stanford is moving way faster this year, wasn't expecting people to interview with them this soon. Thanks for sharing though, now I know I am most likely rejected...which is much better than sitting here with hope lol 

1 hour ago, Gaara said:

Based on grad cafe, last year someone got a Rutgers interview invite on January 31st so maybe they will send emails out tomorrow if they are on the same pace as last year. And for UC Irvine someone received an interview invite on Feb 3rd and for UCSD the interview invite was on Feb 9th. And I didn't apply to Cornell.

Hoping we all hear back soon because I am getting tired of refreshing my email and checking my website analytics 🫠

me too...it is a vicious relationship with email notification lol

9 hours ago, coolgirl said:

I just got the interview email from RISD for the 2 year graphic design program! My first response back from schools, I'm super pumped. What'd they say over the phone? Do the 3 years go through the same interview process?

Congratulations!! wow that's so early, I was told most of the interview invites comes out in early February. Do you know anyone else that got an interview in January so far?

Good luck on the interview!

2 minutes ago, anxiouscluber said:

Congratulations!! wow that's so early, I was told most of the interview invites comes out in early February. Do you know anyone else that got an interview in January so far?

Good luck on the interview!

I haven't seen much from designers on the forum re: getting interviews, but it seems like lots of other areas are already doing interviews.

It's so nerve wracking to hear about everyone else's interviews. Anyone here applying for ceramics? Specifically I applied to UW Seattle, UC Davis, SAIC, RISD, and CU Boulder. I'm seeing a lot of photo and graphic design people getting responses, but I know these things are pretty different by department, so I'm trying to to worry too much. 

On 1/25/2024 at 8:19 PM, xora63 said:

New to the grad cafe so I think I posted this wrong yesterday, if not so sorry about the repeat! 

This is my first cycle applying and I applied to four different schools. Applying for photo. 

Yale (nothing yet) 

UNC (interview start of next week)

UNM (nothing yet) 

ASU (interview yesterday) 

Has anyone else interviewed with ASU yet or previously interviewed with UNC-Chapel Hill? ASU luckily emailed a list of questions to prepare for. But UNC I'm feeling a little nervous about. 

How was the ASU interview?  Did they give you a timeline?  I applied to them but did not get selected for interview.  Guessing I can cross that off the list but maybe there is still hope.

4 hours ago, kjsdhl212 said:

How was the ASU interview?  Did they give you a timeline?  I applied to them but did not get selected for interview.  Guessing I can cross that off the list but maybe there is still hope.

Interview was simple and stayed along the questions they sent for review. Unfortunately they didn't give me an exact timeline, just said I would hear back "soon." It wasn't even a pick a time for the interview they just emailed me a date and time so I'm unsure if they're still conducting them/how many they interviewed. Im sorry you haven't heard anything back yet. 😞 Hopefully you will soon! 

10 minutes ago, bunnie99 said:

I just went back through my emails to find the date and I was invited for an interview with RISD on February 21st last year, so I guess I shouldn't be too worried yet. Hopefully that gives someone else a little peace of mind if they haven't heard anything yet.

For which program ? I applied for D+M and someone got an invite 2 days ago. I’m not sure if I just was rejected or wait listed at this point 

11 minutes ago, iamscared said:

For which program ? I applied for D+M and someone got an invite 2 days ago. I’m not sure if I just was rejected or wait listed at this point 

Ceramics. I was ultimately waitlisted (on March 6th according to my emails). So that leads me to believe they do interview with everybody who's a candidate. But I know it's highly dependent on the program too. I would say dont discount yourself yet! Its not over till it's over. Bon courage!

Edited by bunnie99

3 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

Ceramics. I was ultimately waitlisted (on March 6th according to my emails). So that leads me to believe they do interview with everybody who's a candidate. But I know it's highly dependent on the program too. I would say dont discount yourself yet! Its not over till it's over. Bon courage!

It’s so stressful because I feel like it’s a small program so they might have already made their first pick of applicant. I am still waiting to hear from Pratt for MFA as well 

56 minutes ago, lilguy1998 said:

hi ppl, anyone else applying to RISD or Pratt Photography MFA or have applied in the past have any idea if and when interview notifications happen?

I'm applying to both RISD and Pratt photo! Haven't heard anything yet either.