MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

1 hour ago, Gaara said:

Has anyone heard from UC Irvine, Rutgers, UCLA, or the University of Illinois–Chicago?

Side note: Going to be hard to enjoy this weekend knowing Yale can send interview invites at any moment. Not sure what happened for Yale in 2020, but I know 3 of the last 4 years they sent invites on the first week of February and weekends aren't off limits for them. Hope everyone finds healthy things to do to keep anxiety under control. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back, wishing you all a stress-free weekend!

I applied to Rutgers and have not heard yet.

1 hour ago, hihihi123 said:

applied to ucla and rutgers sculpture haven't heard anything......and yah ut austin sent me an interview request on a Saturday at like 5pm so its a free for all hahaha.... and just as a side note i think last year saic sent out interview request on feb 4th. 

I was just sent an interview request email from SAIC about 30 minutes ago. I applied for ceramics

1 hour ago, Gaara said:

Thanks for sharing that, that's good to know. Someone from Chicago viewed my website a while back and I figured it was UIC, but I have no clue when they accept people. I have seen in the past that UIC has accepted people without interviewing them, but that was in 2019. There's not much info about their timeline in previous forums, do you happen to know anything?  

I have this written down: Offered interviews Feb 7, 20. Reported interviews Feb 11, 16, 25. From an applicant: "They asked me a project where I went completely off my comfort zone and to explain that work. Other than that, they asked me to explain another work of mine that shows them who I'm and want to be as an artist". I really dug to find this, so I don't remember what years the info is from. Their regular deadline is February 15th, so if you weren't selected for the fellowship candidacy I think it's normal to get contacted after that date. 

Edited by btwnthetides

9 minutes ago, bunnie99 said:

I was just sent an interview request email from SAIC about 30 minutes ago. I applied for ceramics

oooo interesting. congrats!!!  i did sculpture..... also for rutgers people i read on 2022 form (which is insane and im so glad this one isnt as stressful haha) that people didnt get told they were rejected but it was on the portal just to put that out there....anyway good luck on saic interview:)   also anyone have insight on saic funding? i have heard the funding isnt great but the program is... but also i feel like im eating my words a lot in this process and learning not to trust everything from everyone.  

2 hours ago, Benz555 said:

I applied to Columbia photo and sculpture, I got an interview for photo feb 17 and got the email the 29th of Jan. I also applied to saic (photo/sculpture) yale ( sculpture) VCU ( sculpture) still wainting as well wishing u luck and like you it’s my first time as well! 

godspeed my friend! congrats on the interview :)

1 hour ago, bunnie99 said:

You applied through what ? Sculpture or fiber and materials? And did they send a email or you find it on the portal? Just curious bc I applied through both and photo and got nothing yet.

6 minutes ago, Benz555 said:

You applied through what ? Sculpture or fiber and materials? And did they send a email or you find it on the portal? Just curious bc I applied through both and photo and got nothing yet.

I applied to the ceramics program and I recieved the invitation by email.

Hi! This is my first year applying to graduate school so I am new to all this but anyway... hi! 

My area is ceramics btw 

These are the schools I applied to:

LSU (nothing)

RISD (nothing)

George Washington University (nothing)

VCU (nothing)

MICA (nothing)

University of Georgia (nothing)

MASS Art and Design (invited for an interview today!)

UArk (nothing)

I think I read some people already got interviews from MICA and RISD so I am not feeling confident about that. Anyone have an interview at MassArt before? I am excited but nervous!

Howdy,

Congrats to the people who are getting interviews and notices! its to exciting. good luck to you all!

some questions-

1-What is the likelyhood that that there would be a second round of interviews if you didn't get one in the first rounds posted here? If you don't get an interview, then does it mean that you have been rejected?

2-Do any of the top MFA schools do decisions without an Interview? I heard RISD sometimes offers without one.

3- what do you do to calm the nerves and anxiety when you are just sitting and waiting and checking your email every hour.

4- When do first round of rejections go out for each school- do they do it before interviews start or after everyone has bee accepted. Also when do they start sending out waitlist?

list of schools:

UCLA
SAIC
Yale
VCU
RISD
Columbia
CMU
Alfred
Parsons
Hunter

Thanks! This forum is aptly named! I'm freaking the hell out indeed!

2 hours ago, Benz555 said:

What departments? And what’s dates did you schedule your interview? I applied to photo n sculpture for Saic. 

AT/SP department, as I mentioned. I think all interviews for all departments will happen on 2/24 this year. You can choose your ideal time slot & it can be either in-person or over Zoom.

I don't know about photo & sculpture, but 2 years ago I applied to both AT/SP (back then it was still ATS) and FVNMA -- they sent out interviews on the same day.

On 1/30/2024 at 11:44 AM, Anxietyismymiddlename said:

Sorry forgot to mention, from RISD. I got an email. Not an actual call haha. They just said they're excited to talk to me and sent me a bunch of resources regarding their previous year exhibitions. I don't want to get too excited as I still have to figure out my finances. Depends completely on the amount of scholarship they would offer.

I got a RISD interview too but they didn’t send me any resources! What department??

I’ve got interview emails from RISD, Northwestern, Austin, Alfred so far in case anyone was waiting for those. All sculpture 

Edited by Gkrenz

On 2/2/2024 at 1:05 PM, mfaapplicant said:

why program / plan after graduation / talk about a piece of work in portfolio / how do you see your self in a diverse community / questions for us

Thanks for sharing this. If you let me know what other schools you applied to and are interviewing for, I'll let you know what they ask me if we have any in common and I interview first. I have a Northwestern and RISD interview coming up, would love to pay you back in kind for telling us this. 

compared to the 2023 forum. 

does anyone know how soon after a Parsons interview do u receive an acceptance? 

it seems compared to last year schools such as RISD and Pratt am offered was given right after ? 

does anyone know what schools tend to give a response right after an interview 

1 hour ago, Gkrenz said:

Thanks for sharing this. If you let me know what other schools you applied to and are interviewing for, I'll let you know what they ask me if we have any in common and I interview first. I have a Northwestern and RISD interview coming up, would love to pay you back in kind for telling us this. 

Np!! I don't even know if this info is useful to you or not! I interviewed with D+M and they did mention they were gonna ask the same questions with all D+M candidates. But if you applied to another department, it is gonna be with different profs and I think the questions are very likely to be different from mine. So please also prepare for other potential questions 😂

2 minutes ago, mfaapplicant said:

Np!! I don't even know if this info is useful to you or not! I interviewed with D+M and they did mention they were gonna ask the same questions with all D+M candidates. But if you applied to another department, it is gonna be with different profs and I think the questions are very likely to be different from mine. So please also prepare for other potential questions 😂

Haha definitely will prepare for other ones, but nice to get some ideas for sure. Hope you get in!

43 minutes ago, iamscared said:

compared to the 2023 forum. 

does anyone know how soon after a Parsons interview do u receive an acceptance? 

it seems compared to last year schools such as RISD and Pratt am offered was given right after ? 

does anyone know what schools tend to give a response right after an interview 

Parsons said they would be letting us know early-mid March 

6 minutes ago, sweet dreams said:

Hii! Congratulations to everyone getting interviews! So awesome to hear

wondering if anyone has heard about SAIC/Yale/MassArt for painting? Haven't heard anything yet 

Nothing yet from Yale in Painting