MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

1 minute ago, yosemite119 said:

I reached out to the admissions office since they didn't have a portal we could check application status. I'll let you know if I hear back!

Hope there is some good news! Thanks bro 🤞🤞🤞 fingers crossed for both of us.

hi first time posting!!

just wanted to give info and ask if anyone has heard from the schools im waiting for! 

most of the programs are sculpture, unless i specify otherwise 

Yale - rejected 

Hunter - nothing yet 

RISD - nothing yet (assuming rejection)

Columbia - nothing yet 

Pratt (interactive arts)- nothing yet 

SVA- interviewed 1/31

MICA Mount Royal- interviewed 2/7

MICA Rinehart - interview tmrw! 

Alfred- accepted yesterday! 

Mostly hoping to hear from Hunter soon, good luck everyone! 

37 minutes ago, Painterpainter said:

Has anyone heard from UCLA Painting/Drawing? How did your interview go?

I was wondering the same thing, seems like UCLA has reached out to other areas but not Painting yet.

/////

I'm expecting UC Irvine and UCSD to send invites very soon as well. Has anyone heard from them already? 

8 hours ago, Goody2choos said:

Got an interview for Cranbrook painting!

And just got out of the VCU interview (Painting) and I unfortunately feel like I bombed. I got too in my head and made myself nervous, and not to say I didn't drop the ball but their interview format didn't make it any better. To be fair they did warn me that they would be making long pauses to transcribe my answers but having long awkward silences after each question does not help gain your confidence, to say the least. I think what made it worse was that they didn't respond or comment on any of my answers whereas other interviews have felt like conversation where they would naturally contribute feedback once or twice, letting you grow more comfortable after a question or two. 

The transcribing felt unnecessary because they were recording the interview as well! But oh well, we cannot be at the top of our game in each interview we had and unfortunately, today was my day to falter. 

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! Same experience for me here. I could totally relate. 

By the way I don't know if you got asked the DEI question, but I was not expecting it and I did not practice at all. And I was super nervous I felt like I didn't even know what I was talking about. But anyways, it is done, can't do anything to it. Just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. 

Don't worry about it, I think even if the interview stinks, the portfolio still worth some points in the decision. 🫠

I know not everyone would agree with this, but my method to keep myself going with the flow for interviews has been a little red wine. All my interviews so far have gone great with something to help me talk with ease. Good luck to everyone. I’m sorry to hear about VCU and other interviews that may not have gone well. Move forward and

“never look back darling , it distracts from the now” 

- Edna Mode 

26 minutes ago, sad face said:

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! Same experience for me here. I could totally relate. 

By the way I don't know if you got asked the DEI question, but I was not expecting it and I did not practice at all. And I was super nervous I felt like I didn't even know what I was talking about. But anyways, it is done, can't do anything to it. Just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. 

Don't worry about it, I think even if the interview stinks, the portfolio still worth some points in the decision. 🫠

what was the DEI Question

1 hour ago, Valentine88 said:

I know not everyone would agree with this, but my method to keep myself going with the flow for interviews has been a little red wine. All my interviews so far have gone great with something to help me talk with ease. Good luck to everyone. I’m sorry to hear about VCU and other interviews that may not have gone well. Move forward and

“never look back darling , it distracts from the now” 

- Edna Mode 

lol im usually only a social drinker but the nerves have been making me have a hard seltzer at night lol so im with you there

7 hours ago, Jill the lass said:

Has anyone heard from UCLA - sculpture, VCU - sculpture, Michigan State University, Uconn, and Syracuse - studio arts ?

nothing from VCU sculpture yet. I have an interview with UCLA sculpture tomorrow, which I think is likely their last day from sculpture bc they originally proposed only monday times

24 minutes ago, awed said:

Hi guys, has anyone applied to programs outside of the US? I applied to the Staedelschule. 

Hi! I went to the Stadelschule for a semester, I'm actually coming back to the US right now.

Just now, mfadoom said:

Hi! I went to the Stadelschule for a semester, I'm actually coming back to the US right now.

Hi! If you don't mind me asking, were you a guest student? How did you like it? 

Just now, awed said:

Hi! If you don't mind me asking, were you a guest student? How did you like it? 

i was a full time student, and I really liked the freedom and the studio space, but unfortunately i could not afford it. I couldn't get the money required to get a residence permit in Germany, and the Stadelschule doesn't offer any of its own scholarships. I applied for DAAD but you have to apply before you actually get accepted to be eligible for funding. I would definitely make sure your funding was well in place before you considered going!

35 minutes ago, mfadoom said:

i was a full time student, and I really liked the freedom and the studio space, but unfortunately i could not afford it. I couldn't get the money required to get a residence permit in Germany, and the Stadelschule doesn't offer any of its own scholarships. I applied for DAAD but you have to apply before you actually get accepted to be eligible for funding. I would definitely make sure your funding was well in place before you considered going!

Thank you for letting me know, you're referring to the ~11,000 Euro blocked account, right? 

I hope everything goes well for you in the US! 

4 hours ago, murmur said:

Still crickets from Rutgers? Should I reach out and clarify if there's been a technical error. I should have gotten either an interview or a rejection by now surely?

Honestly have been disappointed in the Rutgers grad admissions. I've reached out twice before the admissions deadline about removing a partial transcript that got uploaded and have not heard back at all.

Edited by coolgirl

3 minutes ago, coolgirl said:

Honestly have been disappointed in the Rutgers grad admissions. I've reached out twice before the admissions deadline about removing a partial transcript that got uploaded and have not heard back at all.

I got a similar treatment from Stanford for one of my documents. I also still haven't heard from them even though the application deadline was December 1. Brutal.

Did you hear back from Rutgers? I am trying to figure out whether this was intentional or not.

10 hours ago, cinnamoroll8 said:

nothing from VCU sculpture yet. I have an interview with UCLA sculpture tomorrow, which I think is likely their last day from sculpture bc they originally proposed only monday times

Thanks and good luck with your interview! guess I should forget abt UCLA *sigh*

3 hours ago, awed said:

Hi guys, has anyone applied to programs outside of the US? I applied to the Staedelschule. 

hi! i applied to staedelschule and got the rejection email yesterday.

i also applied to the royal academy schools programme and got interviewed a few weeks ago. definitely one of my top options!

15 hours ago, Abandonsleep said:

hi first time posting!!

just wanted to give info and ask if anyone has heard from the schools im waiting for! 

most of the programs are sculpture, unless i specify otherwise 

Yale - rejected 

Hunter - nothing yet 

RISD - nothing yet (assuming rejection)

Columbia - nothing yet 

Pratt (interactive arts)- nothing yet 

SVA- interviewed 1/31

MICA Mount Royal- interviewed 2/7

MICA Rinehart - interview tmrw! 

Alfred- accepted yesterday! 

Mostly hoping to hear from Hunter soon, good luck everyone! 

Hey I got in Alfred too! congratulations!
But I'm still waiting for other schools so I can decide

10 minutes ago, Jill the lass said:

Hey I got in Alfred too! congratulations!
But I'm still waiting for other schools so I can decide

Omg congrats!! Did they also tell you that you had 5 days to accept? I asked for an extension because im still waiting for a bunch of other schools!