MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

Does anyone know whether Yale interviews are done on a rolling basis? I read in a different forum that someone had been invited for an interview but the Yale website says that interview invites will be sent out in early feb. Does this mean that people who apply early have an advantage? 

20 hours ago, yesmaam said:

Does anyone know whether Yale interviews are done on a rolling basis? I read in a different forum that someone had been invited for an interview but the Yale website says that interview invites will be sent out in early feb. Does this mean that people who apply early have an advantage? 

did you see this on reddit?

I think this forum is so quiet this year because grad cafe makes you authenticate with google and the site is just super glitchy when loading. Anyway, here is my updated list:

Tyler sculpture (semi finalist interview 1/17)

Pratt integrated practices

Yale painting/print

Yale sculpture 

UCLA new genres 

Rutgers

Bard low res 

MECA&D

10 hours ago, Copperpot said:

I think this forum is so quiet this year because grad cafe makes you authenticate with google and the site is just super glitchy when loading. Anyway, here is my updated list:

Tyler sculpture (semi finalist interview 1/17)

Pratt integrated practices

Yale painting/print

Yale sculpture 

UCLA new genres 

Rutgers

Bard low res 

MECA&D

do you think that accounts for over 1,000 less replies tho?

2 hours ago, Moses09 said:

do you think that accounts for over 1,000 less replies tho?

Maybe. 1000 replies is usually just thirtyish people talking back-and-forth. I hope it means less people are applying this cycle. 

3 hours ago, Copperpot said:

Maybe. 1000 replies is usually just thirtyish people talking back-and-forth. I hope it means less people are applying this cycle. 

This is so true, it surprises me how each year it's probably only around 30 people in grad cafe and it seems like multiple people in here always get Yale interviews. 

//////

Also, this is for the people who have interviews with Tyler. I was thinking about applying but talked to a current student who said this: 

"Funding has kind of gone down the deep end since the graduate workers union strike (TUGSA) that Temple University had last spring. They recently cut a big funding opportunity for most students to complete their thesis semester. Since Temple has done this, I cannot in good faith recommend Tyler to you. It may be better to wait a year or so if you are committed to the program. I wish I could recommend the program to you because I do truly believe that the curriculum is doing a lot of the work of unpacking how damaging the art world and academia can be for artists. "

Tyler is a great program, I would just make sure I ask about the current state of the program if I were you. 

3 minutes ago, btwnthetides said:

Did they give you a timeframe for the length of interview or any questions in advance? Still waiting on an invite for Photo. 

Yeah - 20 minute time slots on Saturday and Sunday. I am sure it varies from one department to another - it seems like sculpture has multiple interviews potentially from what someone said?? but they gave me no indication of if that is true for Painting. 

The email was just an automated email from the department head to book a time via a calendar application. It actually kind of came off as unprofessional because the email subject line was, "Book time with me without back-and-forth discussions" and then it was just a kind of nonsensical paragraph that had clearly been distorted through whatever app he was using. So if I hadn't recognized the name of the department head, it would've seemed like a scam. And then to make it even more confusing, the calendar wasn't updated to actually book a time until this morning. Overall weird - lol. 

From the description in the email, I get the impression that the Tyler interviews are really trying to see what you would bring to the program, why you are motivated to get an MFA and why specifically at Tyler. The tone was really quite different from what RISD sent me. 

1 minute ago, meatjoy said:

Yeah - 20 minute time slots on Saturday and Sunday. I am sure it varies from one department to another - it seems like sculpture has multiple interviews potentially from what someone said?? but they gave me no indication of if that is true for Painting. 

The email was just an automated email from the department head to book a time via a calendar application. It actually kind of came off as unprofessional because the email subject line was, "Book time with me without back-and-forth discussions" and then it was just a kind of nonsensical paragraph that had clearly been distorted through whatever app he was using. So if I hadn't recognized the name of the department head, it would've seemed like a scam. And then to make it even more confusing, the calendar wasn't updated to actually book a time until this morning. Overall weird - lol. 

From the description in the email, I get the impression that the Tyler interviews are really trying to see what you would bring to the program, why you are motivated to get an MFA and why specifically at Tyler. The tone was really quite different from what RISD sent me. 

Huh. Thank you so much! Super helpful.