MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

Hi there, I just found out about this forum, and it feels very helpful to see everyone's timeline.

I applied to 11 MFA programs this year, all in painting/drawing. 

So far I have only heard back from Tyler on interviewing this weekend. Here is my list:

RISD

Yale

UCLA

Tyler

Hunter

Rutger

SAIC

Pratt

Boston University

Columbia U

Cranbrook

4 hours ago, kjsdhl212 said:

Has anyone heard from Wisconsin, New Mexico, or Arizona?  Just wanted to check since I have not and going by past year threads they seem to schedule interviews pretty quickly.

From the previous years threads here it looks like University of Wisconsin-Madison was contacting folks for interviews in January and sending out rejections in February.

However, when I went to the virtual info session in the Fall the grad program coordinator there told me (and here's a direct transcription from my notes i made as he spoke) "after closing date: approx 3 weeks of review. reach out 1st/2nd week of feb". I didn't take any more notes on timeline, unfortunately but I wanna say at the in-person even he said decisions should be going out in March?

So maybe they are doing it differently this year. 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, sad face said:

Hi Chelsea, based on last year's info, CMU sent out interviews on 2/8, and MICA on 1/28.

I am not sure about Cranbrook but I wouldn't start to worry about it even two weeks after the deadline passes. Hope it helps!

Yes, thank you!! This thread has def helped me ease up on checking my website analytics for geo pings from Pittsburgh like a sicko hahah 🤦🏼‍♀️

2 hours ago, ThinkAsSiren said:

Okay... So I JUST got the RISD interview email 10 mins ago

I scheduled for Jan 29 interview.

I was pretty much giving up hope when I saw ppl already got interview emails last week, but it seems that it took really long for them to send these interview emails... 

I gave up hope too but maybe there's still a chance! that's awesome you received one today, good luck! 

I had both of my interviews with Tyler and Parsons, I was extremely flustered for Tyler but all three faculty were actively trying to make me feel comfortable and asked thoughtful questions about my portfolio. The panel for Parsons was 4 people and 1 current student. They asked a lot of questions about my influences (artists, books, research) and wanted to know what concerns I could see myself having. 

Did anyone else who interviewed with Tyler remember the date for the in-person interviews for finalists? I didn't write it down...

New to the grad cafe so I think I posted this wrong yesterday, if not so sorry about the repeat! 

This is my first cycle applying and I applied to four different schools. Applying for photo. 

Yale (nothing yet) 

UNC (interview start of next week)

UNM (nothing yet) 

ASU (interview yesterday) 

Has anyone else interviewed with ASU yet or previously interviewed with UNC-Chapel Hill? ASU luckily emailed a list of questions to prepare for. But UNC I'm feeling a little nervous about. 

I got an email to schedule an interview with Parsons Photo today! First reply from any program. They are claiming that choices will be made by March 15 with interviews happening between now and then. By counting the time slots available for interviews there were 42 total slots. Obviously that doesn't mean there were 42 interviews but it seemed like an interesting figure to bring up here. 

Edited by Phynch

7 minutes ago, Copperpot said:

Yeah. Interviewed online and then called back with an offer a few days later. 

Interesting! I applied for Photo, and all I've gotten so far is an email from the chair twelve days ago that basically said that going through applications would take some time and to be patient. I'm assuming the other Photo applicants all got the same email. Maybe they're running behind?

I'm writing this for the grad cafe people who may see this in the future. UC Santa Barbara's interview today was like no interview I have ever experienced. Usually, Zoom interviews are awkward/intimidating and full of poker faces, and anxiety can be through the roof because it's like 1 vs 8 people. This one was only two people, and they were so genuine and friendly, making me feel very comfortable from the jump. There was a bunch of smiling to the point where it felt like I was just talking to two people I already knew and just having a normal conversation. The overall vibe makes me feel like they want me at their program and that if I went my art future would be in good hands. 

I have other more prestigious MFA programs on the list of schools I applied to, but if I am offered a spot at UCSB it would be tough to turn it down based on their energy alone. At the end, I expressed how much I look forward to hearing from them and one of them said "you will be hearing from us very soon"....in a tone that basically sounded like we want you and you will be accepted. Very positive experience overall, I don't believe a lot of people know about UCSB but it is fully funded and building your network in Southern California is huge for any artist. If you're reading this in 2025 or beyond, definitely apply. 

On 1/26/2024 at 6:07 PM, Anxietyismymiddlename said:

Hey there, anyone heard from RISD 3-year Graphic Design MFA?

I applied to two year and haven’t heard anything. 

anyone hear anything back from any design programs yet? 

So far I've had interview requests from:

- Northwestern (this one is making me nervous)

- Alfred

- UT Austin

Still waiting on word from:

SAIC, Yale, Rutgers, Guelph, VCU, RISD. I see RISD painters got interview requests, anyone know about sculpture? I'm assuming no luck from them if I haven't heard by now. 

Last Year Yale didn't send out interview requests until early feb if memory serves btw everyone.

Edited by Gkrenz

38 minutes ago, Gkrenz said:

So far I've had interview requests from:

- Northwestern (this one is making me nervous)

- Alfred

- UT Austin

Still waiting on word from:

SAIC, Yale, Rutgers, Guelph, VCU, RISD. I see RISD painters got interview requests, anyone know about sculpture? I'm assuming no luck from them if I haven't heard by now. 

Last Year Yale didn't send out interview requests until early feb if memory serves btw everyone.

Congrats on all the interview invites!! I am surprised UT Austin reached out already; I was expecting them to send invites next week. (maybe they are doing sculpture first and painting will be next week, but I am now assuming I must be rejected)

But from my experience last year with Northwestern, it was like 8 people in the interview on Zoom, the main Professors like Caroline Kent, Rakowitz, Mike Cloud, and others, plus one or two were students. They asked about specific artworks in my portfolio, and I recall one question being like what have you read recently. But they may change their approach and it may be different if you are going in person. If I were you, I would choose the in-person option. It's unfortunate that the interviews with them are so far from the invite, I think it gives people too much time to sit with their nerves and over-prepare. Regardless, try not to be nervous, I'm sure you will do great! 

9 hours ago, Gaara said:

Congrats on all the interview invites!! I am surprised UT Austin reached out already; I was expecting them to send invites next week. (maybe they are doing sculpture first and painting will be next week, but I am now assuming I must be rejected)

But from my experience last year with Northwestern, it was like 8 people in the interview on Zoom, the main Professors like Caroline Kent, Rakowitz, Mike Cloud, and others, plus one or two were students. They asked about specific artworks in my portfolio, and I recall one question being like what have you read recently. But they may change their approach and it may be different if you are going in person. If I were you, I would choose the in-person option. It's unfortunate that the interviews with them are so far from the invite, I think it gives people too much time to sit with their nerves and over-prepare. Regardless, try not to be nervous, I'm sure you will do great! 

I really wanted to go in person, I just can't afford the trip, I'm a 13 hour drive or 500$ flight from there, and then need to consider room and board. 

I really would rather go in person!

I like that Yale doesn't allow in-person interviews, I wish other schools would follow that route

2 hours ago, Gkrenz said:

I really wanted to go in person, I just can't afford the trip, I'm a 13 hour drive or 500$ flight from there, and then need to consider room and board. 

I really would rather go in person!

I like that Yale doesn't allow in-person interviews, I wish other schools would follow that route

Same, I think it is kinda weird to offer the options of in-person or Zoom. Everyone who is a finalist should receive the same interview experience, it's only fair. But last year I talked to someone who went in-person and they said Northwestern paid for their flight and room. I assumed I would have to pay so I chose Zoom, was surprised to learn that they covered the cost of everything. Maybe they are still doing it, wouldn't hurt to ask 

5 minutes ago, Gaara said:

Same, I think it is kinda weird to offer the options of in-person or Zoom. Everyone who is a finalist should receive the same interview experience, it's only fair. But last year I talked to someone who went in-person and they said Northwestern paid for their flight and room. I assumed I would have to pay so I chose Zoom, was surprised to learn that they covered the cost of everything. Maybe they are still doing it, wouldn't hurt to ask 

That never occurred to me. I just emailed them to ask!

I had my Tyler Painting MFA interview this weekend -- sharing some info for future applicants:

- The interview was 20 minutes, about 15 minutes for interview questions and then the last 5 minutes I could ask questions.

- There were 6 people, and it was on zoom. Some of the professors were in a room together looking at a screen and the others were on their own individual devices in different places.

- For the interview itself...The first question was "why grad school at this time" and then most of the interview centered around why I wanted to go to Tyler, how likely I would be to go if they made me an offer, and what I would bring to the program. It was a friendly interview, but I didn't get to talk about the specifics of my practice or me as an artist really. It was pretty purely focused on me as a potential "grad student". I am sure the questions very person to person, but yeah, not sure what to make of it. Very grateful to be interviewed nonetheless!

I'm curious to hear what the interviews are like in the other Tyler departments. 

8 minutes ago, meatjoy said:

I had my Tyler Painting MFA interview this weekend -- sharing some info for future applicants:

- The interview was 20 minutes, about 15 minutes for interview questions and then the last 5 minutes I could ask questions.

- There were 6 people, and it was on zoom. Some of the professors were in a room together looking at a screen and the others were on their own individual devices in different places.

- For the interview itself...The first question was "why grad school at this time" and then most of the interview centered around why I wanted to go to Tyler, how likely I would be to go if they made me an offer, and what I would bring to the program. It was a friendly interview, but I didn't get to talk about the specifics of my practice or me as an artist really. It was pretty purely focused on me as a potential "grad student". I am sure the questions very person to person, but yeah, not sure what to make of it. Very grateful to be interviewed nonetheless!

I'm curious to hear what the interviews are like in the other Tyler departments. 

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! For photo, they already told me to expect the interview to be around 45 minutes! I've already talked to the chair extensively at an info session and he's really nice, so I'm not too worried.