Spanish PhD Fall 2024

I am not applying this cycle, as I am just starting this journey in Spanish, but I will be pursuing a PhD eventually, and noticed that there was not a topic for this yet. So, who's applying where? :)

• 3 months later...

(that was me when I was having account issues)

I am not currently in a Masters program, but have just gone back to school at UArk for a post-bac BA in Spanish. How about you?

I graduated with my BA in Spanish December 2022 from Arizona State University and applied for Spanish PhD (Hispanic Linguistics) for fall 2023 admission at Georgetown, ASU, and Temple.  Last year I got rejections from Georgetown and ASU in late February with no interviews.  I did have an interview with Temple on February 2nd and got accepted without funding February 22nd.  They were upfront about not having funding for that admission year during the interview. I was offered a chance to adjunct teach some classes, but both in the fall and spring semester this didn't happen due to low enrollment.

Because I do not have funding and didn't receive any classes to teach this academic year as an adjunct, I decided to apply to more programs in the hopes of getting funding.  This is my second year applying to Spanish PhD (Hispanic Linguistics).  I applied to Georgetown, Ohio State, Indiana-Bloomington, Rutgers, and Temple (for reconsideration).

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any news from their universities?  I saw that someone got accepted to University of California on the results page.  I recall not being interviewed until the first week of February during last year's cycle.

hello all!

I just received an email earlier this morning at 6:03am PST for an offer of admission to the University of Michigan! The offer letter included funding for 6 years. Can't believe I was admitted I'm still in shock. I received an email from admissions last Wednesday from the university of chicago saying that they've already made decisions for admission, so im assuming they're already starting to send out acceptance emails. Im currently a masters student at UCLA and I know professors in the spanish and portuguese department and I was informed decisions will most likely be made around middle of February. Good luck to anyone else who is still waiting to hear back!

3 minutes ago, Ozibuna said:

@Imperator Totius Hispaniae Congratulations! Did you have any interviews before you got accepted?

Thanks! No, I didn’t have any interviews before I was accepted at Michigan. I also know that UCLA does not conduct interviews either.

Which schools have you applied to and have you heard back from any?

also what are your research interests? 

Edited by Imperator Totius Hispaniae

Thanks for information :)

I applied for 4 grad schools(UC Davis, UNM, PennState and Indiana Bloomington). Yesterday I got a rejection from UNM(with no interview), and don't have any official letters from the rest of three schools... still waiting for news.

And my research interest is Spanish linguistics.

9 hours ago, Ecriture feminine said:

Hello you all. I had my interview with Wisconsin and they said I can assume acceptance with full funding!!! Also I have an interview with Stony Brook this week! So exciting!!! How are you guys doing with your applications?! 

huge congrats! that's so exciting! What do you research?

As I said earlier I was admitted to the University of Michigan in the spanish literature phd program with full funding for 6 years. I will be attending their open house march 4-5. 

Still waiting to hear back from the university of chicago and ucla. I think at this point it's same to assume I didnt get into chicago, but my contact in the department at ucla said they should send out acceptances mid February. 

Hi everyone! This is my second cycle applying for programs, and it has definitely been a very anxious process. I applied to a variety of programs ( seven applications spread across Spanish, English, Comparative Literature programs). So far, this is the information I can relay:

1. I also got an offer for Michigan (pretty much the same as the other person: no interview, direct acceptance sent).

2. I was interviewed for the Chicago Spanish program around the 11th of January, still waiting for an answer.

the other Spanish programs I applied to are from Princeton and NYU, so far I haven’t heard anything back (but I think those tend to answer much later)

Best of luck to all! If there’s anything that I can be of use, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Currently haven't heard from any of the schools that I applied to (Georgetown, Rutgers, Indiana-Bloomington, and Ohio State).  I am hopeful that my current school Temple University that accepted me last year for the MA/PhD is able to offer me funding that wasn't available to give last year.  Fingers crossed!  I do think my mediocre undergraduate GPA from a long time ago is hurting me.  Even when combined with my more recent success at Arizona State where I graduated Summa Cum Laude with my BA in Spanish, the cumGPA doesn't look competetive until you look at how far I came.  If nothing good happens this year, I may try again next year once I have my MA and can show a 4.0 graduate GPA.  Good luck to everyone! :)

7 minutes ago, Ecriture feminine said:

Hi, I got a mail from Wisconsin last Friday with acceptance, official letter will arrive in a couple of weeks. Still waiting to hear from Stony Brooke, Princeton, Rutgers, and CUNY. Has anyone heard anything about these last three? 

Congratulations!

I also applied to Rutgers and have not heard anything.  I don't see very much information on here related to their Spanish program here on grad cafe like acceptance or interview results. 😕 Perhaps we'll hear back by the end of the month.

i applied to u chi (rejected), brown (rejected), cornell (rejected), UW, UCLA, UC Davis (accepted), unc chapel hill + princeton (haven't heard anything) for a lit focused phd. currently at uw for the MA. 

Question: what does it mean when UCLA has set up an invite for me to come to the graduate student open house at the end of the month. they have booked my hotel and also have informed me i can be reimbursed for the flight.... no final decision is up on the UCLA portal but at this point can I assume I've been accepted? 

Also to the person who is currently at UCLA, do you like it and what is the vibe? 

@anonymous clown

Hello! Congratulations on your acceptance in UC Davis!

So, I received the same invitation to UCLA's Open House, but decided to participate via Zoom.

As far as I understand it, they said not to take the invitation as an official acceptance - the letters would be sent by February 16th. However, it also seems very strange to me that they could spend money on reimbursement (flight, accommodation) if the person hadn't been accepted for the program. It wouldn't make much sense, would it?

So I think we have a good chance of being accepted. Let's hope so!! 🙂 

15 hours ago, anonymous clown said:

i applied to u chi (rejected), brown (rejected), cornell (rejected), UW, UCLA, UC Davis (accepted), unc chapel hill + princeton (haven't heard anything) for a lit focused phd. currently at uw for the MA. 

Question: what does it mean when UCLA has set up an invite for me to come to the graduate student open house at the end of the month. they have booked my hotel and also have informed me i can be reimbursed for the flight.... no final decision is up on the UCLA portal but at this point can I assume I've been accepted? 

Also to the person who is currently at UCLA, do you like it and what is the vibe? 

Hello! I am a bit overwhelmed because I don't have the official offer of UW. Can you tell me what do you think about living there? Do you like it? 

I also got accepted to Stony Brook, official letter was supposed to be sent last week but didn't happen so I'm just waiting and anxious trying to decide what to do with my life haha. 

I also applied to Princeton and I know that they had their interviews last weekend so I am assuming rejection, same as CUNY. I still have some hope on Rutgers, tho.