Is it worth to study out of state for an undergraduate course

Heisenburg

Question

I am in high school and applying to colleges in my state as well as out of state. In Florida where I live, University of Florida is a good school for the undergrad courses and I may get full scholarship due to the state programs. I am also planning to apply University of Berkeley and other out of state universities where the annual fee can be close to 60K per year. My question is for undergraduate course is it worth to study in a highly ranked university and spend almost a quarter million, whereas I can study almost free of cost in any universities in my state. 

I am planning to do a PhD after the undergrad course, in that case does it matter where I did my undergrad course for any future job interviews.? or it matters only where I did Ph.D.? 

Please advise.

1 answer to this question

On 11/19/2023 at 10:02 PM, Heisenburg said:

I am in high school and applying to colleges in my state as well as out of state. In Florida where I live, University of Florida is a good school for the undergrad courses and I may get full scholarship due to the state programs. I am also planning to apply University of Berkeley and other out of state universities where the annual fee can be close to 60K per year. My question is for undergraduate course is it worth to study in a highly ranked university and spend almost a quarter million, whereas I can study almost free of cost in any universities in my state. 

I am planning to do a PhD after the undergrad course, in that case does it matter where I did my undergrad course for any future job interviews.? or it matters only where I did Ph.D.? 

Please advise.

Your undergraduate degree program only matters to your graduate program. After that, your graduate degree program will only matter to your first few years into the job market. Usually your first job only. After that, usually only the degree itself only matters - not where you received it. There are a few exceptions (i.e. research connections helping out your company), but that's incredibly rare.

In short, save your money. Your frugalness and going to a solid university will help your narrative more as being pragmatic and future thinking. In addition to set you up for financial success in your personal life.