2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

3 minutes ago, Camiki said:

Yeah, Duke is a bit weird. My research interest seemed to equally span the Security, Peace, and Conflict and Political Behavior subfields but I applied for SPC and was interviewed by SPC professors. 

Thank you!! Congrats again. 

5 minutes ago, barringtonmoore said:

Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is at Vanderbilt?

unlike a lot of schools they don't have published stats - petersons' has it at 7% but idk how reliable that is. A school in the top twenty is probably going to be > 10% though

I see some of people sharing results form Boston, whether it is accept, waitlist, or rejection. However, I did not get any of this email. How I think of myself to this?

Should I contact to the DGS or the department? 

8 minutes ago, SH95 said:

I see some of people sharing results form Boston, whether it is accept, waitlist, or rejection. However, I did not get any of this email. How I think of myself to this?

Should I contact to the DGS or the department? 

general advice seems to be NOT to contact and just wait 

44 minutes ago, london_boy said:

Anyone here who heard back from UChicago? I'm not sure if the posts on the main site are true if no one is claiming here.

I haven't. But I'm expecting a rejection from them. Feel like my fit there isn't great, at least comparatively speaking.

Has anyone heard from this list of schools? I swear I am going insane waiting for these decisions, and I just want to know. 

UF, FSU, USF, Texas A&M, MSU, ASU, UW-Madison, U Cincinnati, U Oregon, UNC, and U Conn 

I have heard back from UGA and UTD

Does anyone know if there is a general ddl for accepting or declining offers? Or if it depends on different programs? I got this email from OSU's admission office telling to go to the application center to accept or decline the offer but without mentioning any specific date for doing so. I hope this does not imply any time soon becasue OSU is not going to release their funding decisions until late Feb. So it is impossible to make any decisions now.

Edited by LeO886

5 hours ago, Ytc1212 said:

I may be wrong but seems like most of the acceptances from Vanderbilt (at least 2 on the results page) are from AP/Methods?

Also claiming Vanderbilt acceptance! Email from the DGS. I’m IR. 

48 minutes ago, garmit said:

I would not take the two Chicago acceptances seriously until someone claims them. This feels like the Princeton posts, where some (potential) trolls try and freak us out. Admittedly, prospective grad students might be the most neurotic group I've ever been apart of, so its working. 

It's possible they're real. This is the time of the year when Chicago admits people. I've taken the approach of assuming that every application will be a rejection until I've heard otherwise, so I'm not going to sweat it either way. But you might be right. It could well be a troll.

5 hours ago, sxrahkate said:

Has anyone heard from this list of schools? I swear I am going insane waiting for these decisions, and I just want to know. 

UF, FSU, USF, Texas A&M, MSU, ASU, UW-Madison, U Cincinnati, U Oregon, UNC, and U Conn 

I have heard back from UGA and UTD

UW-Madison sent out offers (post interview) last Friday. 

UNC we’ve seen some in the results page but I’d guess there’s more to come since it was only 2-3 (I hope at least lol)

6 hours ago, fizzan said:

UW-Madison sent out offers (post interview) last Friday. 

UNC we’ve seen some in the results page but I’d guess there’s more to come since it was only 2-3 (I hope at least lol)

If you searched unc chapel hill, there are more results (like 5-6 posts).

Got rejected from Vanderbilt after having done an interview ~2 weeks ago, and I thought it was a strong interview. I won’t lie, it stings quite a lot to get rejected from a program that you were really excited and hopeful about. I’m grateful for the current offer that I have (Rice), because I do think I’d be going a little stir crazy without having any offers. This is my first round/cycle of Ph.D. applications, but the process is proving to be quite brutal in nature. Programs are very very selective and you can do nothing wrong and get rejected. I am proud of everyone who’s applied this cycle. Applying to Ph.D. programs is very tough and I hope we all get at least one offer that we can envision ourselves being happy with. I’m sending positive vibes to all who are feeling a little down currently 

10 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

Got rejected from Vanderbilt after having done an interview ~2 weeks ago, and I thought it was a strong interview. I won’t lie, it stings quite a lot to get rejected from a program that you were really excited and hopeful about. I’m grateful for the current offer that I have (Rice), because I do think I’d be going a little stir crazy without having any offers. This is my first round/cycle of Ph.D. applications, but the process is proving to be quite brutal in nature. Programs are very very selective and you can do nothing wrong and get rejected. I am proud of everyone who’s applied this cycle. Applying to Ph.D. programs is very tough and I hope we all get at least one offer that we can envision ourselves being happy with. I’m sending positive vibes to all who are feeling a little down currently 

sorry i hear that!! rejection is the worst and i agree as a first time applicant the application process is rough. hang in there! thanks for the encouraging words<3

15 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

Rice is an amazing school, congrats! Did Vanderbilt already send their rejections?

7 minutes ago, barringtonmoore said:

Rice is an amazing school, congrats! Did Vanderbilt already send their rejections?

I sent a very carefully worded and kind email to the GDS yesterday asking about when decisions would be going out, because I saw people posting results on gradcafe, even though I had interviewed and heard nothing back. The GDS replied and told me that I was not being offered admission, and that official notices would go out in a few weeks. I got an early heads up, essentially. She mentioned less than 5% of applicants were admitted this year