2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

1 hour ago, cbsag123 said:

do you know if they received the news via phone call, email, portal update, etc.?

email to check portal, as described in the results page. it actually makes you think it is a rejection at first glance, usually departments contact you in a more personal way first

4 minutes ago, fizzan said:

not accepting UIUC at this point, but I'm surprised we haven't heard the remaining decisions yet?

I was just about to post about this. I'm glad you haven't heard anything either, keeps my hopes up that it just didn't get done. It is one of my top choices 🙃

I want to take a moment to remind you all to reject the offers from the universities you are sure you won't attend... to get things moving on the waitlist.

No pressure, though; just if you are entirely sure you are not going to accept a particular offer, reject it formally. Don't leave it to the last minute.

Let's help each other.

Just now, RegimeObserver said:

I want to take a moment to remind you all to reject the offers from the universities you are sure you won't attend... to get things moving on the waitlist.

No pressure, though; just if you are entirely sure you are not going to accept a particular offer, reject it formally. Don't leave it to the last minute.

Let's help each other.

I'm not making any decisions until I've seen funding, but I'd only *possibly* reject Wisconsin for Michigan (out of my personal list). 

It is also worth noting that not all programmes waitlist - e.g. I believe Wisconsin don't

7 minutes ago, fizzan said:

I'm not making any decisions until I've seen funding, but I'd only *possibly* reject Wisconsin for Michigan (out of my personal list). 

It is also worth noting that not all programmes waitlist - e.g. I believe Wisconsin don't

I'm not talking about you, personally 🙄—just a general recommendation, if you wish.

There is no need to explain anything; we are all grown-ups, and everyone knows exactly what they do, how they do it, and the decisions they make. 🤷‍♂️

Also, I know not all programs have a waitlist, so there is no need to clarify what is known.

6 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

I'm not talking about you, personally 🙄—just a general recommendation, if you wish.

There is no need to explain anything; we are all grown-ups, and everyone knows exactly what they do, how they do it, and the decisions they make. 🤷‍♂️

Also, I know not all programs have a waitlist, so there is no need to clarify what is known.

oh okay! I'm sorry - I wasn't trying to be funny or anything? I hope you get in where you want to go!

eta: I also think it's really valid for people to want to compare offers of funding, offers that often come a bit later! e.g. wisconsin funding details come late feb.

Edited by fizzan

31 minutes ago, RegimeObserver said:

Let's help each other.

This is a great point and I think it should be considered by everyone with standing offers. I personally don't want to accept or reject any of my offers until I've heard back from most of my applications. I spent a lot of time and money on this application cycle to just discard the possibility of attending a school that I went through the effort of contacting faculty and submitting an application for. Good luck everyone, have a relaxing weekend.  

1 hour ago, RegimeObserver said:

Let's help each other.

Someone rejecting an offer ≠ someone getting off the waitlist. Programs accept more students than they know will attend, so there's really no point in pressuring people to reject offers. Let folks get all of their offers, consider funding, even go on visits to places they aren't sure about. Rejecting an offer does not guarantee a waitlist, and programs are very, very unlikely to admit people off the waitlist until AFTER their first waves of admits have had to give a decision.

This comes up every year, and every year people here try to say to decline offers asap. It's just wrong, and it's also not fair to folks who might be on the fence or not totally sure. I'm sorry to say that at most programs, maybe 1 or 2 students get admitted from the waitlist. MAYBE. 

1 minute ago, PolPsychGal11 said:

Someone rejecting an offer ≠ someone getting off the waitlist. Programs accept more students than they know will attend, so there's really no point in pressuring people to reject offers. Let folks get all of their offers, consider funding, even go on visits to places they aren't sure about. Rejecting an offer does not guarantee a waitlist, and programs are very, very unlikely to admit people off the waitlist until AFTER their first waves of admits have had to give a decision.

This comes up every year, and every year people here try to say to decline offers asap. It's just wrong, and it's also not fair to folks who might be on the fence or not totally sure. I'm sorry to say that at most programs, maybe 1 or 2 students get admitted from the waitlist. MAYBE. 

I second that; some people got into their top program first and the withdrawal is a no brainer- but many of us will get admits in several similarly ranked programs with differing levels of desirability in location, cohort size, faculty fit. That’s really not a quick decision to make and it is unfair for them to rush into any life decision that defines at least their next 5-7 years when they very much earned the chance to be hesitant. 

7 minutes ago, PolPsychGal11 said:

1 minute ago, Anonymous8_8 said:

I second that; some people got into their top program first and the withdrawal is a no brainer- but many of us will get admits in several similarly ranked programs with differing levels of desirability in location, cohort size, faculty fit. That’s really not a quick decision to make and it is unfair for them to rush into any life decision that defines at least their next 5-7 years when they very much earned the chance to be hesitant. 

Also, some schools ask about competitive offers and make specific funding adjustments based on that (Wisconsin did).