2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

30 minutes ago, polisci119 said:

Northwestern rejected, not a good fit at all, so not surprised. congrats to those who made it!

Btw, my sample is not quantitative (but related to a few target schools), and I do lack enough related background (only several basic quant courses, and I just mentioned my intentions to do quant research by listing two ideas in my statement), would that be a mistake given the fact that quant is quite essential in the US? Thx in advance!

I have basically no quant background and I got into UW-M! I picked programmes that didn't need the GRE and emphasise mixed-method research. It's obviously had mixed results haha but I'm super excited about the program I got into.

ETA: I do think it probably doesn't help with some programs though, but it doesn't make it impossible for sure. My subfield is American which is a quant heavy field

You can also learn quant methods once you're in, which is what I intend to do!

Edited by fizzan

5 minutes ago, fizzan said:

I have basically no quant background and I got into UW-M! I picked programmes that didn't need the GRE and emphasise mixed-method research. It's obviously had missed results haha but I'm super excited about the program I got into.

ETA: I do think it probably doesn't help with some programs though, but it doesn't make it impossible for sure. My subfield is American which is a quant heavy field

You can also learn quant methods once you're in, which is what I intend to do!

"learn to code" - that's what biden told coal miners, and that's how i conclude my sop 

45 minutes ago, polisci119 said:

Northwestern rejected, not a good fit at all, so not surprised. congrats to those who made it!

Btw, my sample is not quantitative (but related to a few target schools), and I do lack enough related background (only several basic quant courses, and I just mentioned my intentions to do quant research by listing two ideas in my statement), would that be a mistake given the fact that quant is quite essential in the US? Thx in advance!

I think having quant skills is really important if you're applying for phd programs in the U.S. (at least thats what my professors repeatedly emphasized after knowing that I am interested in applying to grad school). That said, I think you can still get into great programs if you know its importance and show that you're willing to learn quantitative skills if admitted. 

2 hours ago, polisci119 said:

My sample is also qualitative and I was told by a faculty member at one of the schools I applied to that the only reason I wasn't the best fit for their program was because they were looking for more quant. He said there are schools that place less of an emphasis on quant, but that it's more of an uphill battle for applicants with less quant experience. The emphasis placed on quant also varies between subfields even within the same department. I could be wrong (I am by no means an expert or authority on the subject), but I also think that certain subfields, like theory, present more opportunities for qualitative analysis than other fields. But honestly I don't know 🤷‍♀️

9 minutes ago, amp2324 said:

My sample is also qualitative and I was told by a faculty member at one of the schools I applied to that the only reason I wasn't the best fit for their program was because they were looking for more quant. He said there are schools that place less of an emphasis on quant, but that it's more of an uphill battle for applicants with less quant experience. The emphasis placed on quant also varies between subfields even within the same department. I could be wrong (I am by no means an expert or authority on the subject), but I also think that certain subfields, like theory, present more opportunities for qualitative analysis than other fields. But honestly I don't know 🤷‍♀️

only a handful of schools, e.g., Cornell, Harvard, Michigan, UT-Austin, Princeton, have qualitative-focused subfields ("APD" or American Political Development, Public Law, Law and Courts, etc.) besides theory. theory has been moribund for some time now.

2 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

I’m just curious.. did anyone get accepted to northwestern? Everyone has posted rejections so far

I believe the acceptances came in batches a few days ago. You can find some on the results page.

6 minutes ago, miss-walker said:

I believe the acceptances came in batches a few days ago. You can find some on the results page.

7 minutes ago, fizzan said:

there were a bunch last week weren't there?

That’s right! I forgot about those

15 minutes ago, miss-walker said:

It looked like 5-6 acceptances came in a few days back. I am stressed here non-stop checking my email and Northwestern portal hoping for an update. 😕  I feel like an impending rejection is coming based on such strong profiles getting turned away. 

9 minutes ago, WWCand said:

It looked like 5-6 acceptances came in a few days back. I am stressed here non-stop checking my email and Northwestern portal hoping for an update. 😕  I feel like an impending rejection is coming based on such strong profiles getting turned away. 

Just remember its not a rejection until they say so! Strong applicants also get rejected if they're not a good fit.

27 minutes ago, Cagmadhige said:

Any news from Georgetown? Do their offers or rejection come in batches just like northwestern?

Georgetown had interviews a little while back. I asked about their timeline during mine and I think they said decisions by mid February 

35 minutes ago, feijoada said:

first cycle applying, just received rejections from brown and northwestern

not gonna lie, feels brutal

chiming in to say that any rejection should not be seen as a negative reflection of your ability or your potential. the application process (and academia writ large) is a game where arbitrariness is a built-in element, and manufactured scarcity a dreadful constancy. a rejection is just a confluence that fails to materialize. hope you feel better.

1 minute ago, barthestow said:

chiming in to say that any rejection should not be seen as a negative reflection of your ability or your potential. the application process (and academia writ large) is a game where arbitrariness is a built-in element, and manufactured scarcity a dreadful constancy. a rejection is just a confluence that fails to materialize. hope you feel better.

This is so true. Getting rejected does not mean you did anything wrong or aren’t capable of succeeding in a PhD program. There’s a lot that goes on behind closed doors, and as outsiders we don’t know precisely how these decisions are made

35 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

This is so true. Getting rejected does not mean you did anything wrong or aren’t capable of succeeding in a PhD program. There’s a lot that goes on behind closed doors, and as outsiders we don’t know precisely how these decisions are made

Yup. With my decisions likely to come over the next few weeks, I've been trying to mentally prepare myself for rejection. Having been through idiosyncratic processes like this before, it's tough. And it really hurt when I let myself get overconfident in the past. Trying not to do that this time. Hope for the best; prepare for the worst.

5 minutes ago, OrlandHistorian said:

Did anyone apply to the University of Washington at Seattle? Haven't heard anything or seen anyone claiming acceptance. 

Cheers 

i did; knew someone who got an interview with the POI a while back. but decisions are not yet out.