2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

3 hours ago, infiniteplane said:

i'm under the assumption that acceptances get sent out all at once, but is that not always the case? to me it doesn't make sense to stagger them like you would with acceptances, rejections, waitlists, etc. 🤔

and yeah that was probably a smart decision on your part. i was definitely rushing to throw together a critical writing sample because i wanted to apply there so badly...wouldn't be surprised if that brought down the overall quality of my app

I'm not sure about other schools but I do know the University of South Carolina doesn't send them out all at once. On their FAQ page they say: "We typically email first-round acceptances by late February and send out additional acceptances on a rolling basis through April. Once the entire admissions process is complete (usually late April), our university notifies applicants who were not admitted"

I'm not sure how many other schools do this but that's all the information I have. 

Ahh hello everyone, after all that worrying about a silent rejection two weeks ago, I finally did receive a form rejection from UIUC today. I wasn't upset about it when I first figured it out two weeks ago and I'm not really upset about it now either. Deep down I think I know since I'm a first-time applicant and also straight out of undergraduate, I'm going to be seeing 12/12 rejections. I come from a country where the opportunities and resources for writing are really low or are available only to people who have money, and there's a lot of stigma in choosing the Arts. I've been fighting my parents six years now, just to get to apply for writing. So I'm actually more worried about explaining the rejection to my parents since they're waiting for an "I told you so moment". Well, it is what it is and in any case, I'm glad UIUC didn't leave me hanging. Silent rejections are the worst arghh. 

This is my first rejection and maybe it is for some other people too. I just wanted to say that you're not alone and life will eventually work itself out. Six years ago, hell even two years ago, I didn't even think I would be allowed to write. So just keep hanging on. Onwards to February, I suppose!

0a/0w/1r/11p

Edited by saramsarang

5 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

Ahh hello everyone, after all that worrying about a silent rejection two weeks ago, I finally did receive a form rejection from UIUC today. I wasn't upset about it when I first figured it out two weeks ago and I'm not really upset about it now either. Deep down I think I know since I'm a first-time applicant and also straight out of undergraduate, I'm going to be seeing 12/12 rejections. I come from a country where the opportunities and resources for writing are really low or are available only to people who have money, and there's a lot of stigma in choosing the Arts. I've been fighting my parents six years now, just to get to apply for writing. So I'm actually more worried about explaining the rejection to my parents since they're waiting for an "I told you so moment". Well, it is what it is and in any case, I'm glad UIUC didn't leave me hanging. Silent rejections are the worst arghh. 

This is my first rejection and maybe it is for some other people too. I just wanted to say that you're not alone and life will eventually work itself out. Six years ago, hell even two years ago, I didn't even think I would be allowed to write. So just keep hanging on. Onwards to February, I suppose!

i’m so sorry about your rejection!!! I’m wishing you luck for the other apps and am hoping you get acceptances!!!

3 minutes ago, catsaregood.pdf said:

i’m so sorry about your rejection!!! I’m wishing you luck for the other apps and am hoping you get acceptances!!!

Thank you so much! I wish this season works out well for you as well ~

1 hour ago, saramsarang said:

0a/0w/1r/11p

Hoping you receive better news in February! The radio silence has been brutal! I’ll even take rejections at this point. 

I just had a realization... When listing colleges attended, I've just put my alma mater which is the only school I actually attended, but I have 3 credits from a college-level course I took in high school on my transcript that's marked as being from the college the course was done through. Should I have been putting that school in the system on apps? I really hope that won't affect my chances but now I'm concerned 😰

1 minute ago, writernity said:

I just had a realization... When listing colleges attended, I've just put my alma mater which is the only school I actually attended, but I have 3 credits from a college-level course I took in high school on my transcript that's marked as being from the college the course was done through. Should I have been putting that school in the system on apps? I really hope that won't affect my chances but now I'm concerned 😰

I put my high school dual credits on all my applications just in case, but I sincerely doubt it'll affect your chances. The instructions for that section of apps is so vague in the first place. 

4 hours ago, saramsarang said:

0a/0w/1r/11p

I’m so sorry about your rejection! *hugs* I’m glad to hear that you are remaining level-headed even though things may be disappointing. You are still young, and you will have more opportunities if this cycle doesn’t work out for you. No matter what, never give up on your writing, despite all the tribulations you’ve endured. 12 years ago, I had lost all confidence in my writing because my mother told me I shouldn’t waste my time doing something I held no potential in. If you had told my 15-year-old self that one day, she would go on to major in English with a Creative Writing Emphasis, defying her mother who told her she would never have a happy and successful life with a Bachelor’s degree in English, and later pursue an MFA at 27 years old, she would never have believed that could ever be possible. Dreams do come true, and so long as you believe in yourself, continue to write for yourself, and never give up, one day when the time is right, the right opportunity will come along for you, too.

1 hour ago, sunnysequoia said:

I’m so sorry about your rejection! *hugs* I’m glad to hear that you are remaining level-headed even though things may be disappointing. You are still young, and you will have more opportunities if this cycle doesn’t work out for you. No matter what, never give up on your writing, despite all the tribulations you’ve endured. 12 years ago, I had lost all confidence in my writing because my mother told me I shouldn’t waste my time doing something I held no potential in. If you had told my 15-year-old self that one day, she would go on to major in English with a Creative Writing Emphasis, defying her mother who told her she would never have a happy and successful life with a Bachelor’s degree in English, and later pursue an MFA at 27 years old, she would never have believed that could ever be possible. Dreams do come true, and so long as you believe in yourself, continue to write for yourself, and never give up, one day when the time is right, the right opportunity will come along for you, too.

Thank you so much for sharing this. It means a lot to me and gives me hope for the future. Like many others, I've put my whole being into the MFA and I'm trying to figure out who I am as a person without writing or English, so it's very comforting and inspiring to read this and know that eventually it'll be okay. Thank you. 

12 hours ago, Rixor said:

I put my high school dual credits on all my applications just in case, but I sincerely doubt it'll affect your chances. The instructions for that section of apps is so vague in the first place. 

I'm sure you're right, I'm just getting paranoid in the waiting 😅 well, at least if I get rejected from everywhere I applied, I can blame it on that instead! Surely my app is perfect otherwise LOL 🤣

I’m having a strange horrible feeling. I applied to a lot of programs. I simply thought it would improve my chances and seemed like a good idea. Now I’m thinking if I don’t get in anywhere it’s deep confirmation that I suck. 
I’ve also never taken an IQ test. Similar reasons. 

On 1/31/2024 at 3:39 AM, Chex said:

There's a new report here on gradcafe. An acceptance from Northwestern Litowitz, CNF. You'd have to search with 'MFA' or 'Litowitz' as the key word, not 'creative writing'. Anyone else hear from them? 

forgot about this forum until I got my Northwestern rejection today LOL

I just checked my personal spreadsheet and being reminded that they only accept 2 people really puts this rejection in perspective. hope we start seeing lots more good news on here soon!!

Edited by brdiget

7 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I’m having a strange horrible feeling. I applied to a lot of programs. I simply thought it would improve my chances and seemed like a good idea. Now I’m thinking if I don’t get in anywhere it’s deep confirmation that I suck. 

There's three outcomes that I've thought of, that I'll likely be pursuing.

1) you get accepted somewhere, anywhere, to one or more programs. Victory! Doesn't mean you're great but it does mean you got lucky and you need to spend the next 2-4 years wisely using the time to make the best work you can + make the best connections. Getting in is just the start.

2) you get wait listed to one or more programs, but no acceptances. Time passes, April comes and goes, and you don't get in from the wait list. This proves you have the chops, but the system is very subjective. Maybe you can write something a bit better, work on your sop some more, and reapply to the wait listed schools + different ones next round, and hope that whoever reads your submissions this time vibes just that 10% more that you needed to get in. If you don't get in on the second round, move on to actions below.

3) denials all across the board. Again, the process is subjective. This doesn't mean you suck but it does probably mean that your writing/sop/academic history isn't suited for what the MFA's are looking for. Time to pivot. Get/maintain a day job that's disposable, join a writing group, finish a novel, find an agent, publish some work, enjoy the process. Writing will likely never even be the day job for those who got into the MFA's, so don't expect it to be yours.

I use second person here, but I'm really talking about myself and how I'm going into this whole process. The acceptance rate of all the schools i applied to are 1-5%. I'm preparing for the most statistically likely outcome: all denials. That doesn't mean my work stinks, it just means I applied to a very unlikely subjective lottery.

3 minutes ago, Scribe said:

IQ tests are a terrible measure of intelligence. They're an apt measure of how well you can recognize and identify patterns, but certainly not of how smart you are.

Grad school admissions are similarly a terrible measure of your worth as an artist. Someone on Draft made this point, but if you, for example, wrote a stunning piece about, e.g., your experiences living in an impoverished country overseas, you could still get passed on simply because the admissions committee doesn't 'connect' with it the same way they might with a story about middle class life in Small Town USA. People are biased--it's unavoidable. People have different preferences in prose, plot, setting, characters... Even if you did get all rejections, it wouldn't necessarily indicate anything about your skill as a writer. 

Didn't you already receive a waitlist from Bloomington, or am I mistaken? It seems to me that you've already 'proven' yourself by your own metrics. Waitlists are a very, very good thing to receive! 

15 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Heyy! I'm probably not the most qualified to give advice on this but I just want to say that, that is absolutely not true. It's pretty standard in MFA programs to apply for ten programs on average, so that should tell you about how competitive they are. Also, you have to remember that there are a lot of people with diverse backgrounds and various experiences applying, there is no norm in the MFA. Generally speaking, there are a lot of things that go behind the scenes on decisions and acceptances/waitlists/rejections. Unfortunately, the process isn't transparent and personalised/individual feedback is not possible so it may leave you in the dark about where to improve. Writing much like any other art is subjective so it's possible you weren't a good fit in the overall cohort of this year or a particular faculty didn't connect with your story this time around etc. There are so many factors, even just minor ones that play into decisions. If there's one thing that both applicants and veterans in the MFA have said over and over, it's that "the MFA is a crapshoot". So many writers who have succeeded, and are considered to be immensely talented do not hold MFAs, some of them were even rejected. The whole process is so unpredictable. So please please know that the MFA decisions are not a reflection of your writing. While you may look back on your writing sample and find areas you could have written better, know that time always helps in improving your writing. We're always constantly evolving as people and our writing evolves with us. So don't stop writing no matter what. If nothing, please know that we are all proud of you just for submitting to so many schools. It takes a lot of courage to apply and put your work out there. You worked really hard on these applications and you did your best, so now just hang in there. If you get in, cheers; if you don't, it's not the end of the world, the words will find you again and you will find it. 

13 minutes ago, saramsarang said:So many writers who have succeeded, and are considered to be immensely talented do not hold MFAs, some of them were even rejected. The whole process is so unpredictable. So please please know that the MFA decisions are not a reflection of your writing. While you may look back on your writing sample and find areas you could have written better, know that time always helps in improving your writing. We're always constantly evolving as people and our writing evolves with us. So don't stop writing no matter what. If nothing, please know that we are all proud of you just for submitting to so many schools. It takes a lot of courage to apply and put your work out there. You worked really hard on these applications and you did your best, so now just hang in there. If you get in, cheers; if you don't, it's not the end of the world, the words will find you again and you will find it. 

Where are the current literary fiction writers that don’t hold MFAs or PhDs, have non Ivy education, no connections, no residencies/conferences/workshops, no journalistic or writing/publishing  background of any kind, and don’t live in NYC? Respectfully, depending on what sort of circles you want to be in, you may need an MFA. But for genre fiction, and even upmarket fiction, by all means you don’t “need” an MFA. In my rural area, getting plucked from the slush seems unlikely. I know we like to think the game is fair, but an overwhelming majority of literary fiction authors publishing today, especially debut authors, have some sort of fancy credential. Even the bios I read of current MFA students reek of privilege. I’m not sure if it’s because those are in a position to pursue an MFA or even know what it is in the first place already have some degree of privilege (ie. Able to stop work, relocate, etc).  

I do wonder how much of it is playing the game versus talent/hard work and getting plucked from the slush. 

MFA programs are wild. You either go into debt for one or you luck into a fully funded program (but will still likely struggle because they will give you just enough to survive). Because most of us don’t want to go into debt, we will apply for the fully funded programs, making them wildly, stupidly competitive. We will apply anywhere from 5 to 25 programs. Considering the odds, most of us won’t get accepted to our top choice(s). It doesn’t mean we didn’t deserve it or that we’re incompetent or that our writing sucks. While it’s natural to dwell and agonize and think the worst of ourselves, it’s impossible to know exactly why we weren’t selected.  

I hope this doesn’t come off as negative or cynical. I didn’t get into Northwestern and I’m feeling doubtful about Amherst since I didn’t get an interview. I cried last night because I knew a rejection from Northwestern was coming but, in retrospect, no institution is worthy of our tears. Hang in there, y’all. 

Edited by pomelo

2 minutes ago, pomelo said:

I cried last night because I knew a rejection from Northwestern was coming but, in retrospect, no institution is worthy of our tears.

i saw someone say each rejection comes with its own full grief process, which seems true. We put a lot of work into a dream that dies mildly with each one.

23 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

Where are the current literary fiction writers that don’t hold MFAs or PhDs, have non Ivy education, no connections, no residencies/conferences/workshops, no journalistic or writing/publishing  background of any kind, and don’t live in NYC? Respectfully, depending on what sort of circles you want to be in, you may need an MFA. But for genre fiction, and even upmarket fiction, by all means you don’t “need” an MFA. In my rural area, getting plucked from the slush seems unlikely. I know we like to think the game is fair, but an overwhelming majority of literary fiction authors publishing today, especially debut authors, have some sort of fancy credential. Even the bios I read of current MFA students reek of privilege. I’m not sure if it’s because those are in a position to pursue an MFA or even know what it is in the first place already have some degree of privilege (ie. Able to stop work, relocate, etc).  

I do wonder how much of it is playing the game versus talent/hard work and getting plucked from the slush. 

No, I completely get what you mean but at the same time, that's not really what I was addressing. I think you may have misunderstood my message a little or maybe I'm misunderstanding you. All of us here are applying for the MFA because we need it in one way or the other. It is true some of us have more privilege than others. As an international applicant, I completely understand, trust me. You don't know the number of times I've cried looking at how I can't find my people on the MFA pages of all of these prestigious programs and when I do, they're inevitably part American or hold other white country passports. So yes you're correct, artists from the rural as you put it, rarely make it unless they are allowed into these circles. Hell some of us applying as international students can only get started on our writing journey if we get into the MFA because we lack the privilege and resources that you previously mentioned.

All of that is completely true. But when I meant there are successful writers without the MFA, I did not mean OP/Scribe did not need an MFA but that it's unhealthy to hinge one's entire writing worth solely on the MFA acceptances. Rather than thinking they suck because they didn't get into any schools (supposedly), I'd rather have them try again one day, and regardless, keep writing (as long as it makes them happy), because more often than not applicants stop writing for a while at least since we tie our entire being into the MFA and it feels like the universe is collapsing around us. And like you've pointed out, in the end the system itself is rigged in many ways, so there's only so much we can do. I do not want them to blame themselves and think that the decisions are an accurate or complete reflection of their writing ability. Sometimes they might not be a part of the slush pile. Also, we're only at the beginning of the cycle, we have all the way until April to go and they're already having a rough time, so I just wanted to comfort them and make sure they didn't lose all hope. I'm sorry if my message offended you in any way, but that really wasn't my intention!

Edited by saramsarang

8 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

No, I completely get what you mean but at the same time, that's not really what I was addressing. I think you may have misunderstood my message a little or maybe I'm misunderstanding you. All of us here are applying for the MFA because we need it in one way or the other. It is true some of us have more privilege than others. As an international applicant, I completely understand, trust me. You don't know the number of times I've cried looking at how I can't find my people on the MFA pages of all of these prestigious programs and when I do, they're inevitably part American or hold other white country passports. So yes you're correct, artists from the rural as you put it, rarely make it unless they are allowed into these circles. Hell some of us applying as international students can only get started on our writing journey if we get into the MFA because we lack the privilege and resources that you previously mentioned.

All of that is completely true. But when I meant there are successful writers without the MFA, I did not mean OP/Scribe did not need an MFA but that it's unhealthy to hinge one's entire writing worth solely on the MFA acceptances. Rather than thinking they suck because they didn't get into any schools (supposedly), I'd rather have them try again one day, and regardless, keep writing (as long as it makes them happy), because more often than not applicants stop writing for a while at least since we tie our entire being into the MFA and it feels like the universe is collapsing around us. And like you've pointed out, in the end the system itself is rigged in many ways, so there's only so much we can do. I do not want them to blame themselves and think that the decisions are an accurate or complete reflection of their writing ability. Sometimes they might not be a part of the slush pile. Also, we're only at the beginning of the cycle, we have all the way until April to go and they're already having a rough time, so I just wanted to comfort them and make sure they didn't lose all hope. I'm sorry if my message offended you in any way, but that really wasn't my intention!

No worries! I guess what I meant is that maybe we give these institutions too much power when the power dynamic of this process is skewed enough as it is. This idea of being “chosen,” when many of us, the other, are continuously counted out of the industry in the first place. Maybe someone more intelligent than me can back me up here 😂

Edited by triciadawn

12 minutes ago, TPike said:

Does anyone know what should be the next couple of programs to release results? 

Maybe WUSTL or Vanderbilt or George Mason. I am hoping that the second round notifications for Arkansas and Mississippi come out soon. Does anyone know how many they accept for the second round of apps? Is it as many as UTK?