2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

12 minutes ago, brdiget said:

I JUST GOT A CALL FROM CORNELL ;ASLDKFJ;AKLSDJFKJFKLASJD;FKLA IM SCREAMING THEY SAID THEY WERE LITERALLY READING MY APPLICATION YESTERDAY AND DECIDED TO CALL ME TODAY IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

WHAAAAT!!!!! WHAT GENRE? CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Edit: Just seen it's poetry. Love it for you, congratulations!! 🎊🎉🎊

Edited by Chex

28 minutes ago, brdiget said:

I JUST GOT A CALL FROM CORNELL ;ASLDKFJ;AKLSDJFKJFKLASJD;FKLA IM SCREAMING THEY SAID THEY WERE LITERALLY READING MY APPLICATION YESTERDAY AND DECIDED TO CALL ME TODAY IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

OMG HUGE CONGRATS!!! 🎉🎈🍾🎊 

Out of curiosity, when the schools call, does the institution's name show up on the caller ID? Haha, I figure with all of these spam calls I get with bogus caller ID names, it would be nice to see a name that I actually want to call me.

14 minutes ago, justasmidge said:

Out of curiosity, when the schools call, does the institution's name show up on the caller ID? Haha, I figure with all of these spam calls I get with bogus caller ID names, it would be nice to see a name that I actually want to call me.

It didn't for mine. It had a first name of the professor under their number and that was it. I didn't recognize the name but I happened to recognize the area code. I understand if folks don't wanna answer random calls but I'd highly recommend looking up phone area codes that include the schools where you applied!! It might help with avoiding spam calls. 

58 minutes ago, justasmidge said:

no it didn't! it just showed up as an international number (i'm canadian) so i literally just stared at my phone without picking up not daring to think it could be an acceptance......but then they left a minute long voicemail so i ended up calling them back! 

1 hour ago, brdiget said:

CONGRATULATIONS! 

2 hours ago, brdiget said:

THIS we love this!!!

Omg I'm a lurker and I made an account today bc things are heating up. Hearing that Cornell has started accepting poets has got me literally shaking in my boots. I applied to Cornell, Iowa, Michener, UVA, VA tech, JHU, Michigan, Brown, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern for poetry. Anyone else have a similar list? Another post on this forum made me think maybe Vandy is next. 

4 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

Omg I'm a lurker and I made an account today bc things are heating up. Hearing that Cornell has started accepting poets has got me literally shaking in my boots. I applied to Cornell, Iowa, Michener, UVA, VA tech, JHU, Michigan, Brown, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern for poetry. Anyone else have a similar list? Another post on this forum made me think maybe Vandy is next. 

This year, I've got Michigan and Michener on my list (poetry as well). In the past, I've also applied to Cornell, Iowa, Brown, and Vandy.

2 hours ago, brdiget said:

YOOOOO CONGRATULATIONS AAAHHHUAOINOVNPAIDNPISNDO

5 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

Literally same! I had to join after today!! I applied to Iowa, Brown, JHU, UA, and UMass Amherst. 

3 minutes ago, orangee said:

This year, I've got Michigan and Michener on my list (poetry as well). In the past, I've also applied to Cornell, Iowa, Brown, and Vandy.

YOOOOO CONGRATULATIONS AAAHHHUAOINOVNPAIDNPISNDO

Good luck! U got this! Maybe there's a world where we end up together at Michener. I actually didn't have it on my list but one of my recommenders had gone there and told me I must apply, apparently he had a really good experience.

1 hour ago, jadedoptimist said:

I've also been a lurker for the last week or so! I'm fiction, but I applied to both Michener and NWP, Oregon (waitlisted there!), Brown, Cornell, Vandy, UVA, JHU, Houston, Oxford (Mst, not MFA, interview next week), Hunter and NC State. All fully funded other than Hunter and Oxford, and I've been obsessively checking when programs told people last year. I just need the month to be over please!!

Brown, Boston, UMass Amherst, Indiana-Bloomington, and Vanderbilt were my list! 

I also applied (for fiction) to Cornell, JHU, Brown, and Syracuse, plus Hunter, Pittsburgh, and a handful of NYC-based non-guaranteed-funding schools. Hoping for the best for us both! 🙏 the nerves are really kicking in now that more schools are making moves, but the bulk of results for most of them will likely be late Feb-mid March

1 hour ago, ssuunn said:

There's one poetry acceptance for Vanderbilt reported on the GradCafe results.

Here’s some tea. one of my best friends goes to vanderbilt for poetry and she talked to one of the people who decides (didi) and she said they hadn’t made a decision yet so…i guess people lie on some forums? for fun? 😭😭

8 minutes ago, ee921488 said:

Here’s some tea. one of my best friends goes to vanderbilt for poetry and she talked to one of the people who decides (didi) and she said they hadn’t made a decision yet so…i guess people lie on some forums? for fun? 😭😭

I have heard of that happening before 😅 stat outliers should always be taken with a grain of salt

10 minutes ago, ee921488 said:

Did Didi know when decisions are rolling out?

18 minutes ago, ee921488 said:

Omg. This is why u gotta be on the forums.... for the unverified tea 😂