2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

It feels like this week has been so quiet!

Question for those of you who have gotten an acceptance -- I got one through a phone call on Friday but my app portal isn't showing a status for my app and I also haven't received anything in writing. Has anyone else still not gotten anything about their acceptance in writing yet? How long did you have to wait? I know it's silly but it's making me so anxious.

I don't think rejections have gone out yet for this school so that could have something to do with it.

29 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

I missed a call from an unknown number today... this shit has me frantically googling area codes like never before. I know speculation like this is silly and useless but it's got me thinking – does the area code even tell you anything? I'm assuming that there's not usually some kind of Designated Landline in the admissions office to inform admitted students, instead the department faculty probably just volunteers on a case-by case basis– don't they probably just use their cell phones anyway? I've been more curious about admissions procedures than ever before lately. It's a different vibe than waiting for a call about a job offer, or getting into undergrad. It really feels like the decision means something about the quality of my work. Idk. Just spouting thoughts on a Wednesday

When I got a call about an acceptance, it was from a faculty member's cell phone with a completely different area code than the school itself! I almost didn't pick up

51 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

I missed a call from an unknown number today... this shit has me frantically googling area codes like never before. I know speculation like this is silly and useless but it's got me thinking – does the area code even tell you anything? I'm assuming that there's not usually some kind of Designated Landline in the admissions office to inform admitted students, instead the department faculty probably just volunteers on a case-by case basis– don't they probably just use their cell phones anyway? I've been more curious about admissions procedures than ever before lately. It's a different vibe than waiting for a call about a job offer, or getting into undergrad. It really feels like the decision means something about the quality of my work. Idk. Just spouting thoughts on a Wednesday

I saw in MFA draft ‘23 that bots get ahold of our numbers through our apps as well so you might start getting tons of spam from Iowa, etc. So just brace for it. I thought Vandy was calling me from TN and it was just “student loan forgiveness” spam

27 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

I saw in MFA draft ‘23 that bots get ahold of our numbers through our apps as well so you might start getting tons of spam from Iowa, etc. So just brace for it. I thought Vandy was calling me from TN and it was just “student loan forgiveness” spam

that's wild! I got a spam call today for the first time in like a year (and of course I thought it was the call.)

Just got what seems like a generic email from Stony Brook that they're reading applications now and they will soon be setting up interviews. They ended it with, "stay tuned. You'll be hearing from us soon." And then I got a generic e-mail from Sarah Lawrence saying that they're at AWP.

Ahhhhhh the anxiety is killlllling me

no one laugh at me. 
what does this mean?

“Dear applicant,

An update: The Admissions Committee for the MFA program in Creative Writing and Literature—Southampton, New York City, and Stony Brook in between—is reading your application now. The readers on the Lichtenstein Center committee are poets, fiction writers, and nonfiction writers and we are impressed with the quality of writing samples in the works we have read. To keep you apprised of the process, we will soon be setting up interviews. As we continue the admissions process we want to make sure that you have a supportive cohort. We want to be certain that the workshops we offer will support you in the best ways possible during your literary quest.

Stay tuned. You’ll be hearing from us soon.

Best wishes,

XXX XXX XXXXXX

Admissions Director”

18 minutes ago, Scribe said:

no one laugh at me. 
what does this mean?

“Dear applicant,

An update: The Admissions Committee for the MFA program in Creative Writing and Literature—Southampton, New York City, and Stony Brook in between—is reading your application now. The readers on the Lichtenstein Center committee are poets, fiction writers, and nonfiction writers and we are impressed with the quality of writing samples in the works we have read. To keep you apprised of the process, we will soon be setting up interviews. As we continue the admissions process we want to make sure that you have a supportive cohort. We want to be certain that the workshops we offer will support you in the best ways possible during your literary quest.

Best wishes,

XXX XXX XXXXXX

Admissions Director”

I received the same e-mail! I also have no idea what to make of it - from what I saw on Draft last year, I don't believe that Stony Brook had interviews but maybe I'm wrong and last year's applicants didn't report that there were interviews?

36 minutes ago, justasmidge said:

Just got what seems like a generic email from Stony Brook that they're reading applications now and they will soon be setting up interviews. They ended it with, "stay tuned. You'll be hearing from us soon." And then I got a generic e-mail from Sarah Lawrence saying that they're at AWP.

Ahhhhhh the anxiety is killlllling me

24 minutes ago, Scribe said:

no one laugh at me. 
what does this mean?

“Dear applicant,

Best wishes,

XXX XXX XXXXXX

Admissions Director”

3 minutes ago, justasmidge said:

I received the same e-mail! I also have no idea what to make of it - from what I saw on Draft last year, I don't believe that Stony Brook had interviews but maybe I'm wrong and last year's applicants didn't report that there were interviews?

I got the same email as yall! After careful scrutiny it does seem to be implying they're planning to set up interviews soon (and that we'll be getting one). There isn't much data for past years at all for Stony Brook, it might be that people didn't report interviews or it could be they've just added them this year. Hard to say.

5 minutes ago, justasmidge said:

Someone on draft posted an interview notification but I don’t feel comfortable doing that yet. This sounds like I should just be happy for the committee that they’re enjoying the application review.

Just now, jadedoptimist said:

IM ON THE WAITLIST FOR JOHNS HOPKINS AHDJFJFJDJDJDHFHFKKGKF IM SO HAPPY 

that is incredibly impressive! congrats!  genre?

35 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Someone on draft posted an interview notification but I don’t feel comfortable doing that yet. This sounds like I should just be happy for the committee that they’re enjoying the application review.

Yeah I might have jumped the gun there after seeing someone else do it 😅 well, guess we'll see what comes of it soon enough.

8 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

IM ON THE WAITLIST FOR JOHNS HOPKINS AHDJFJFJDJDJDHFHFKKGKF IM SO HAPPY 

CONGRATS!!! :D

Just now, writernity said:

Yeah I might have jumped the gun there after seeing someone else do it 😅 well, guess we'll see what comes of it soon enough.

CONGRATS!!! :D

ah, that was you. 

in other news, a question for the hive: 11 people on draft have been waitlisted for fiction at Bloomington. i saw a great number of waitlisted for poetry as well. however, i've seen no acceptances. 

does this seem weird to anyone else?

5 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

Poetry! :) they said they had ~200 apps to choose from. No waitlist ranking.

grats! wow that's really low, did they mean 200 apps for poetry only or total including fiction? JH had the best looking program and I was going to apply but I didn't last minute cause my undergrad grades are rough lol.

23 minutes ago, Scribe said:

ah, that was you. 

in other news, a question for the hive: 11 people on draft have been waitlisted for fiction at Bloomington. i saw a great number of waitlisted for poetry as well. however, i've seen no acceptances. 

does this seem weird to anyone else?

Someone else did it first, but I jumped on board 😅 I'm using the same pseudonym for the draft spreadsheet.

Idk how many people Bloomington accepts usually- a quote from 2016 says 8 accepted, 4 from each genre, not sure if that's still true. It's 11 fiction and 8 poetry applicants currently reporting waitlists, some even quoting being told they're "near the top of a very short waitlist." It does feel like a weirdly high amount of reports especially since the waitlist is supposedly "very short" and there weren't nearly as much last year, but maybe we've just got a fun statistical anomaly where the majority of Indiana waitlisters are on Draft but no one accepted is lol. It's definitely not impossible!

Edit: there's one Bloomington poetry acceptance on gradcafe!

Edited by writernity

I saw one poetry acceptance for IU Bloomington on gradcafe, but all the other IU results are waitlisted/rejections. Can anyone close to the prgm confirm that IU has actually sent acceptances out or is someone on gradcafe messing with us?

(update) just saw the previous post about this, so sorry for creating a new post instead of replying to that thread, I’m new here 😕

Edited by BowserNintendo

1 hour ago, pananoprodigy said:

There's an Iowa fiction acceptance on the results board>?????? Congrats to whoever that is holy shit! Now I'm spiraling.

I also can’t help but wonder if it’s another Vandy situation where someone is just trolling us