2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

1 hour ago, lemmmein said:

The cruelty!! But no! Just got off the phone again, and I'm in! Cohort of 6 for fiction, 179 applications this year. Slightly in tears!

Also yes, congrats @jadedoptimist!! Vandy is huge!!

OHHHHH MY GOODNESS!!!! Congrats on getting into NCSU that is amazing! So happy for you!!! :’) Truly a dream program.

I haven’t heard anything from them, so I assume I didn’t make the cut… alas. So happy that someone here made it in!

AND JADEDOPTIMIST ON THE VANDY WAITLIST AAAAH! 

Big morning! ❤️

hey everyone! It's my second year applying to mfa- fiction programs and I guess I'm just looking for some hope. I was waitlisted by WashU last year (ultimately turned to a rejection) and flat out rejected by them this year. I know this happens all the time and I know a waitlist one year isn't an automatic guarantee of a waitlist or acceptance the next year but it really brought me down. I feel like my application is much stronger this year than last year and I don't know, I can't believe that they would like what I submitted last year and not this year?? Part of me wonders if I was waitlisted by accident last year haha grasping for straws here. Anyway, anyone have a similar experience? Or have any thoughts in general? 

2 minutes ago, Chex said:

I'm also out of reactions, so congrats @jadedoptimist, @girlgenius, and lychees! What genre are you, @lychees

I'm creative nonfiction! I wrote fiction for almost my entire life (plus a lot of very emotional, teenage-angst poetry when I was younger), but I took one CNF class in college and it transformed my entire life path. 

1 minute ago, cashewgirl said:

hey everyone! It's my second year applying to mfa- fiction programs and I guess I'm just looking for some hope. I was waitlisted by WashU last year (ultimately turned to a rejection) and flat out rejected by them this year. I know this happens all the time and I know a waitlist one year isn't an automatic guarantee of a waitlist or acceptance the next year but it really brought me down. I feel like my application is much stronger this year than last year and I don't know, I can't believe that they would like what I submitted last year and not this year?? Part of me wonders if I was waitlisted by accident last year haha grasping for straws here. Anyway, anyone have a similar experience? Or have any thoughts in general? 

I think one of the most important things to recognize in these situations is that you’re up against an entirely different set of applicants than you were before, and possibly being read by entirely different faculty than before! The odds change so drastically from year to year, and when it comes to a rejection there’s no concrete difference between “you were equally excellent but we didn’t have the space” and “you weren’t a good fit.” It’s not remotely a reflection on your writing or your worth! ❤️

19 minutes ago, branch said:

OHHHHH MY GOODNESS!!!! Congrats on getting into NCSU that is amazing! So happy for you!!! :’) Truly a dream program.

I haven’t heard anything from them, so I assume I didn’t make the cut… alas. So happy that someone here made it in!

AND JADEDOPTIMIST ON THE VANDY WAITLIST AAAAH! 

Big morning! ❤️

Thank you!!!! Ugh I'm so sorry to hear that. Would have loved to study with a forum friend. Maybe next year though and we can still be in workshops together??

Huge morning all around. Congrats everyone!!

9 minutes ago, cashewgirl said:

So sorry to hear that! Echoing what @branchsaid: it's a whole new pool of applicants and readers, so what resonated for someone last year may not have done so this year. 

1 hour ago, girlgenius said:

holy shit I just received notice of my acceptance to the University of South Carolina (fiction) !!!! 

Congrats! Was it a phone call or email? I was waitlisted there last year so I'm hoping for some better news this time.

Congrats to all those who are waitlisted and accepted! That's awesome. It is my first year applying to writing programs and I only applied to one school so I am pretty stress free at the moment. Great to finally see the anxiety on the forum reduce a little bit with all the news. My approach to the process this year is one of learning, if I do not get in (likely), I will be much better prepared and focused for next years cycle! Remember life is very long, especially for all those in your early twenties, you have soooo much time to improve and get into that dream program!

33 minutes ago, lychees said:

I'm creative nonfiction! I wrote fiction for almost my entire life (plus a lot of very emotional, teenage-angst poetry when I was younger), but I took one CNF class in college and it transformed my entire life path. 

I love this!! So happy for you. 

31 minutes ago, branch said:

I think one of the most important things to recognize in these situations is that you’re up against an entirely different set of applicants than you were before, and possibly being read by entirely different faculty than before! The odds change so drastically from year to year, and when it comes to a rejection there’s no concrete difference between “you were equally excellent but we didn’t have the space” and “you weren’t a good fit.” It’s not remotely a reflection on your writing or your worth! ❤️

💯

24 minutes ago, lemmmein said:

Thank you!!!! Ugh I'm so sorry to hear that. Would have loved to study with a forum friend. Maybe next year though and we can still be in workshops together??

Huge morning all around. Congrats everyone!!

This; but also, it's not over until it's over, @branch. No mentions of waitlists yet. You could be on the waitlist, don't discount that! And people often get in through the waitlist. Still rooting for you! 

Edited by Chex

30 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

Congrats! Was it a phone call or email? I was waitlisted there last year so I'm hoping for some better news this time.

it was an email! fingers crossed 4 u!

Edited by girlgenius

Holy shit I got waitlisted at UMn??!!?!??! I had already counted it as a rejection in my signature because my application was incomplete (missing a letter) and I felt awful about my SOP. Ahh!!!!! I feel so so so grateful and fortunate. 

Congrats to everyone for their acceptances/waitlists!!!!

I realize this is totally off-topic and the answer is likely "no" but do any of you play League of Legends? It's been keeping me sane during this waiting period.

Last night I told my boyfriend I didn’t think the MFA was in the cards this year and I meant it. I started my application for an English teaching program abroad and bookmarked a bunch of job postings. 

I just got off the phone with Beth Nguyen. Y’all. I got an acceptance to UW Madison. 😭

5 minutes ago, pomelo said:

Last night I told my boyfriend I didn’t think the MFA was in the cards this year and I meant it. I started my application for an English teaching program abroad and bookmarked a bunch of job postings. 

I just got off the phone with Beth Nguyen. Y’all. I got an acceptance to UW Madison. 😭

Oh my goodness!! Congratulations!!! UW-Madison is a wonderful school with a great program--especially after all that anticipation, I'm so happy for you!!

5 minutes ago, pomelo said:

yoooooooo!!!!!! that's massive!!! congrats! Was that your top choice??

10 minutes ago, pomelo said:

Hell, yeah! Let the good news roll!! Congratulations!!! 

I also applied to Madison, so I'm gonna keep my eyes and ears peeled. 

13 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Holy shit I got waitlisted at UMn??!!?!??! I had already counted it as a rejection in my signature because my application was incomplete (missing a letter) and I felt awful about my SOP. Ahh!!!!! I feel so so so grateful and fortunate. 

Congrats to everyone for their acceptances/waitlists!!!!

I realize this is totally off-topic and the answer is likely "no" but do any of you play League of Legends? It's been keeping me sane during this waiting period.

Congrats, Rixor. I'm really glad for your success. I hope these waitlists turn into acceptances for you. What are your top programs? 

19 minutes ago, pomelo said:

omg congrats!!! I had the same convo with my bf last night -- what genre did you apply in?? UW Madison is one of my top choices

7 minutes ago, Chex said:

Congrats, Rixor. I'm really glad for your success. I hope these waitlists turn into acceptances for you. What are your top programs? 

Thank you so much! I hope you get a call from UW-Madison soon, and that those pendings of yours start turning into a's and w's. I understand how difficult this waiting period is. I'm very excited about all the schools I've applied for, but my top choice is tentatively UofWashington, so I'm really hoping I hear good news from them soon! I get all worried even mentioning that--like proclaiming it will jinx me.

14 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Oh my goodness!! Congratulations!!! UW-Madison is a wonderful school with a great program--especially after all that anticipation, I'm so happy for you!!

Thank you! And congrats to YOU as well! 

24 minutes ago, prufrock_ said:

yoooooooo!!!!!! that's massive!!! congrats! Was that your top choice??

Thank you!! Out of the 10 programs it was within my top 5. I truly would be happy with whatever program takes me but there’s a lot about Madison’s that excited me.

20 minutes ago, Chex said:

Hell, yeah! Let the good news roll!! Congratulations!!! 

I also applied to Madison, so I'm gonna keep my eyes and ears peeled. 

Thank you so much! Best of luck, I’m rooting for you!!

14 minutes ago, girlgenius said:

omg congrats!!! I had the same convo with my bf last night -- what genre did you apply in?? UW Madison is one of my top choices

Thank you!!! Fiction :) Wishing you luck! I hope everyone hears back soon. My faith was hanging by a string yesterday but this phone call really turned it around 

8 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

@Rixor Congratulations on the waitlist, hopefully it will get turned into an acceptance!! Moreover I hope U of Washington works out for you. Sending good luck your way! @pomeloCongratulations on your acceptance, so happy for you!! It's amazing to see a wave of good news, here's to more of it!

Thank you!!! Ahh. So excited to hear about everyone’s offers. I finally feel like I can let out a sigh of relief while I wait to hear from these 8 programs. Fingers crossed for everyone!

44 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Thank you so much! I hope you get a call from UW-Madison soon, and that those pendings of yours start turning into a's and w's. I understand how difficult this waiting period is. I'm very excited about all the schools I've applied for, but my top choice is tentatively UofWashington, so I'm really hoping I hear good news from them soon! I get all worried even mentioning that--like proclaiming it will jinx me.

Thank you. I'll be sending you extra positive vibes and good luck for U Washington🕯️

5 minutes ago, papercut said:

Eeeee I just got accepted into UBC (British Columbia) 😭😭😭. WHAT A DAY. 

Wow, UBC!!! Wonderful!!! Congratulations!! What made you decide to apply there? Looking it up, it seems like a stellar university and program!!