2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

1 hour ago, Rixor said:

Holy shit I got waitlisted at UMn??!!?!??! I had already counted it as a rejection in my signature because my application was incomplete (missing a letter) and I felt awful about my SOP. Ahh!!!!! I feel so so so grateful and fortunate. 

Congrats to everyone for their acceptances/waitlists!!!!

I realize this is totally off-topic and the answer is likely "no" but do any of you play League of Legends? It's been keeping me sane during this waiting period.

congrats!!!!!

yes......... im addicted to tft

5 hours ago, lemmmein said:

Y'ALL!!!! I just missed a call from Belle Boggs at NCSU. Surely, surely, surely that means good news? I've texted her and we have another time set up to talk, but I'm actually going to dissolve in anticipation before then.... I'm in Durham but from Texas, so NCSU and Michener are my top 2 programs. How do I distract myself until she calls?????

oh congratulations. she's fantastic. 

22 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Wow, UBC!!! Wonderful!!! Congratulations!! What made you decide to apply there? Looking it up, it seems like a stellar university and program!! 

Thank you!!!

It was in part logistical (I'm based in Canada and already navigated a lot of stupid immigration things to get here). Mainly it was their focus on cross-genre practices. I'm primarily a poet but I find working in other forms pushes my work in unexpected directions. And the fact that the university takes other, less recognised genres seriously (like writing for children & video game writing) is really exciting to me ☺️

I'm out of reactions, but I'm sending imaginary hearts to everyone. Love to see so much movement today!

10 minutes ago, Scribe said:

oh congratulations. she's fantastic. 

Thank you! Really excited to work with her.

Congrats to everyone on your acceptances and waitlists!!! Rooting for everybody on this board to get good news soon. 

I applied to five programs for CNF, and I've only heard back from one. It was an interview and I've gotten good signs from the professors, but I won't know if I got accepted until March. The radio silence from the other programs is driving me crazy!

I'm trying not to get too defeated until I start seeing acceptances for CNF from the schools I applied to. Last week, there were two poetry acceptances for the University of Montana. It's one of my top programs, so I'm freaking out a little bit since I haven't heard back. Did anyone else apply there? I'm hoping they stagger their acceptances, and there's still a chance. 

0a/0w/0r/5p

28 minutes ago, papercut said:

Thank you!!!

It was in part logistical (I'm based in Canada and already navigated a lot of stupid immigration things to get here). Mainly it was their focus on cross-genre practices. I'm primarily a poet but I find working in other forms pushes my work in unexpected directions. And the fact that the university takes other, less recognised genres seriously (like writing for children & video game writing) is really exciting to me ☺️

Congrats!! That program sounds really interesting, I would love to attend a program that supports game writing... if nothing works out this year, maybe I'll apply for the optional-residency program there next year (but fingers crossed for acceptances this year 🤞)

12 minutes ago, garfieldlives said:

Congrats to everyone on your acceptances and waitlists!!! Rooting for everybody on this board to get good news soon. 

I applied to five programs for CNF, and I've only heard back from one. It was an interview and I've gotten good signs from the professors, but I won't know if I got accepted until March. The radio silence from the other programs is driving me crazy!

I'm trying not to get too defeated until I start seeing acceptances for CNF from the schools I applied to. Last week, there were two poetry acceptances for the University of Montana. It's one of my top programs, so I'm freaking out a little bit since I haven't heard back. Did anyone else apply there? I'm hoping they stagger their acceptances, and there's still a chance. 

0a/0w/0r/5p

Hi @garfieldlives - I also applied to U of Montana in CNF. I have not heard back yet but seeing the poetry acceptances have definitely made me antsy too! 

7 minutes ago, fearandloathingfaith said:

Hi @garfieldlives - I also applied to U of Montana in CNF. I have not heard back yet but seeing the poetry acceptances have definitely made me antsy too! 

It's always nice to know I'm not alone in the anxiety of waiting. Hoping we both get good news soon! 

36 minutes ago, writernity said:

Congrats!! That program sounds really interesting, I would love to attend a program that supports game writing... if nothing works out this year, maybe I'll apply for the optional-residency program there next year (but fingers crossed for acceptances this year 🤞)

I hope those acceptances start rolling in for you soon! This waiting is a particular breed of torture.

3 hours ago, pomelo said:

Last night I told my boyfriend I didn’t think the MFA was in the cards this year and I meant it. I started my application for an English teaching program abroad and bookmarked a bunch of job postings. 

I just got off the phone with Beth Nguyen. Y’all. I got an acceptance to UW Madison. 😭

Congratulations!! What an amazing achievement!!

Out of curiosity, did you get a sense of whether all the calls went out already? Since you posted this 3 hours ago I'd have to imagine I'm out of luck - but if you do happen to have any insight, that would be much appreciated :) Congrats again!!! Hope you're able to celebrate tonight.

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted or waitlisted somewhere!

Question for the pack, I've gotten an email from the school I've been accepted to letting me know I have till March 1st to let them know if I'll be attending. I am tempted to reach out to the other school I'm waiting to hear from to let them know of my decision deadline, but am afraid it may be in bad form or something. Idk maybe I'm over thinking this lol 😅🤷🏿‍♀️

Has anyone nudged a school in order to meet another's decision deadline? What's the etiquette here??

Edited by BarryDairy

1 hour ago, BarryDairy said:

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted or waitlisted somewhere!

Question for the pack, I've gotten an email from the school I've been accepted to letting me know I have till March 1st to let them know if I'll be attending. I am tempted to reach out to the other school I'm waiting to hear from to let them know of my decision deadline, but am afraid it may be in bad form or something. Idk maybe I'm over thinking this lol 😅🤷🏿‍♀️

Has anyone nudged a school in order to meet another's decision deadline? What's the etiquette here??

April 15 is the universally accepted deadline in the US for accepting or rejecting an offer for grad school admission and funding. Any program trying to pressure you into accepting an offer before that date sounds suspect to me.

2 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

April 15 is the universally accepted deadline in the US for accepting or rejecting an offer for grad school admission and funding. Any program trying to pressure you into accepting an offer before that date sounds suspect to me

It's not universally accepted; not every university has to follow it. It also probably wouldn't apply if it was a low-res program or an unfunded program.

51 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

It's been a long day, of many schools replying to many strong, persistent writers, both here and Draft, but yet.... as the day draws to a close, and the sun sets, my mind returns to Iowa... still silent, looming like a gas giant ...

Yeah I know! I’m sitting over here with 2 rejections thinking but maaaaybe Iowa? It’s so unlikely but just imagine…

I was reading NF today about slot machines and technology and all the things that play off our lizard brain and MFA admissions absolutely fall squarely in that basket. Here’s hoping for some calls…

6 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

It's not universally accepted; not every university has to follow it. It also probably wouldn't apply if it was a low-res program or an unfunded program.

okay. true. thanks for the correction. still,  those are the rules nearly everybody is playing by, even if they're not required to. 

3 minutes ago, prufrock_ said:

Looks like most acceptances/waitlists have gone out for UW Madison; i'm going to assume I'm rejected there at this point. That means i'm 'unoffically offically' rejected from:

UW Madison

alabama

u of oregon

WE MARCH ON!

Yeah I’m in the same boat. Indiana, JHU, and now UW Madison. 9 to go

34 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

April 15 is the universally accepted deadline in the US for accepting or rejecting an offer for grad school admission and funding. Any program trying to pressure you into accepting an offer before that date sounds suspect to me.

This is a more unusual case of choosing a deferred enrollment. The program, Bennington, is asking for all people who choose a deferred start last fall to make final decisions by March 1 so they know the slots they have available to offer the people who are applying during their current period. 

So it's not a pressure but an ask. 

41 minutes ago, prufrock_ said:

Looks like most acceptances/waitlists have gone out for UW Madison; i'm going to assume I'm rejected there at this point. That means i'm 'unoffically offically' rejected from:

UW Madison

alabama

u of oregon

WE MARCH ON!

Same. Re: uw Madison. 

congrats to everyone with waitlists and acceptances!!!!

Same re: Madison. Unofficial rejection from USF, too, for me. Very happy to those who got w's and a's from them though!! Congratulations!

Also same about running out of reactions... I've left a little heart on every post in spirit.

@ brdiget I'm terrible at TFT but I appreciate that there's another League-addicted MFA hopeful here:)