2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

I'm really happy for people, it's great to see people get acceptances and waitlists, especially since all of us were stressed and trying to get through the silence. This little rant isn't meant to take away from anyone's news in any way but I can't really talk to my friends or parents about this right now since I'm managing their emotions a little bit and it's complicated, so I just wanted to let it out here, sorry about this. Again, I don't want to take away from anyone's win, I'm really genuinely so happy for everyone!

I'm sitting on four 'unofficial official's rejections and I don't know what to do with myself. I wake up every day thinking this is the day I'll finally see the rejection email in my inbox...but the day never comes. I can't even take it positively like 'no news is still good news' because more schools release decisions and it just keeps adding to the pile. Like even for UIUC I think I was the last of people to receive the rejection. I understand I'm an international applicant and my surname begins with one of the very last letters in the alphabet and all of the factors that go into it, but at this point the radio silence in my inbox is just killing me. Anyone have any advice to offer? I'm just gritting my teeth and hanging in there because I'm waiting on rejections rather than acceptances and I feel kind like I'm slowly losing my mind. 

3 hours ago, cnaomi said:

Congratulations!! What an amazing achievement!!

Out of curiosity, did you get a sense of whether all the calls went out already? Since you posted this 3 hours ago I'd have to imagine I'm out of luck - but if you do happen to have any insight, that would be much appreciated :) Congrats again!!! Hope you're able to celebrate tonight.

Thank you so much! She called me at 1:55pm ET. She let me know that there were close to 350 applications for 6 spots. I didn’t have a good sense of how many calls she’d made before me or would have to make after me. I’m sorry! I wouldn’t count yourself out until you hear from them directly, though. Hang in there. And if not Madison, I hope you receive good news very soon. 

Edited by pomelo

24 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

I'm really happy for people, it's great to see people get acceptances and waitlists, especially since all of us were stressed and trying to get through the silence. This little rant isn't meant to take away from anyone's news in any way but I can't really talk to my friends or parents about this right now since I'm managing their emotions a little bit and it's complicated, so I just wanted to let it out here, sorry about this. Again, I don't want to take away from anyone's win, I'm really genuinely so happy for everyone!

I'm sitting on four 'unofficial official's rejections and I don't know what to do with myself. I wake up every day thinking this is the day I'll finally see the rejection email in my inbox...but the day never comes. I can't even take it positively like 'no news is still good news' because more schools release decisions and it just keeps adding to the pile. Like even for UIUC I think I was the last of people to receive the rejection. I understand I'm an international applicant and my surname begins with one of the very last letters in the alphabet and all of the factors that go into it, but at this point the radio silence in my inbox is just killing me. Anyone have any advice to offer? I'm just gritting my teeth and hanging in there because I'm waiting on rejections rather than acceptances and I feel kind like I'm slowly losing my mind. 

I definitely understand you! Believe me, I do! And I know this is just some online forum that feels distant at times but we all are experiencing this together. I know for me I do currently have 4-6 unofficial rejections, half my schools are basically gone. And it does bother me, that I can't even say with 100% finality that those schools are done. Still though, I can say with 90% that they are. I would encourage you to focus on the schools you have left, if any, and not the schools that are likely to pass way. Remember too, writing is something no one can take away from you, from any of us. It isn't a job or a career. It's us on the page. It's a life long dedication to the craft. No program or rejection can take that away. 

I'll also share something. I'll be in Nashville for a conference in about a week and half. I haven't gotten a firm rejection from Vandy yet but an unofficial one (I did a poetry application). Before I go, I'll be contacting them and asking for one. I should be gifted that as I'll literally be in their neighborhood. If there's a school you really want to be sure has rejected you, maybe ask them? Someone earlier, weeks ago, mentioned it as a bold thing to do. But I'd much rather muster up the courage, let the dream fully die, rather than not know for another few weeks and be upset over it. So, no push, but something to consider if there's one or two schools specifically you want clarity on. 

Edited by GoldenTree

3 hours ago, cnaomi said:

Congratulations!! What an amazing achievement!!

Out of curiosity, did you get a sense of whether all the calls went out already? Since you posted this 3 hours ago I'd have to imagine I'm out of luck - but if you do happen to have any insight, that would be much appreciated :) Congrats again!!! Hope you're able to celebrate tonight.

I think it’s over tbh but I hope I’m wrong. I remember Dantiel Moniz from our Draft ‘16 days so this one especially stings :( 

edit: just got my rejection letter 

Edited by triciadawn

Hmmm, there's like 12 University of Minnesota results on Draft over the past few days and they're all "Waitlist," no acceptances or rejections as far as I saw. Does anyone know if they process their apps a little differenyt and process waitlists first? Can't be a coincidence that only waitlists are on the Draft spreadsheet. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong? 🤔

39 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Same re: Madison. Unofficial rejection from USF, too, for me. Very happy to those who got w's and a's from them though!! Congratulations!

Also same about running out of reactions... I've left a little heart on every post in spirit.

@ brdiget I'm terrible at TFT but I appreciate that there's another League-addicted MFA hopeful here:)

why do you think it's an unnofficial rejection? what happened? I felt the same way last week but got waitlisted today.

12 minutes ago, DanielNiver said:

Hmmm, there's like 12 University of Minnesota results on Draft over the past few days and they're all "Waitlist," no acceptances or rejections as far as I saw. Does anyone know if they process their apps a little differenyt and process waitlists first? Can't be a coincidence that only waitlists are on the Draft spreadsheet. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong? 🤔

there was an acceptance in Draft (the FB group not the spreadsheet) a couple weeks ago

3 minutes ago, girlgenius said:

there was an acceptance in Draft (the FB group not the spreadsheet) a couple weeks ago

Oh, I see it. Thanks! I just missed it. Then I got in my head about it, thinking there was further hope, like they send out waitlists then pull acceptance from those or something weird...🤦 Been a long day of refreshing pages lol

15 minutes ago, Scribe said:

why do you think it's an unnofficial rejection? what happened? I felt the same way last week but got waitlisted today.

Just have a feeling when a bunch of waitlists/acceptances go out, it's easier for me to cope with them if I assume it's a rejection. I got pleasantly surprised today with a UMn waitlist after I'd counted it out. (Congrats on your waitlist!!)

Just got my official Madison rejection, too! Time to update the signature.

17 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Just have a feeling when a bunch of waitlists/acceptances go out, it's easier for me to cope with them if I assume it's a rejection. I got pleasantly surprised today with a UMn waitlist after I'd counted it out. (Congrats on your waitlist!!)

Just got my official Madison rejection, too! Time to update the signature.

Ah. I hear you. I’m doing the same thing with NCSU. and I’m trying to be encouraging, not set you up for disappointment. 
Good things. 

2 hours ago, BarryDairy said:

This is a more unusual case of choosing a deferred enrollment. The program, Bennington, is asking for all people who choose a deferred start last fall to make final decisions by March 1 so they know the slots they have available to offer the people who are applying during their current period. 

So it's not a pressure but an ask. 

Oh in that case, I would totally reach out the admissions office in the other school, explain the situation and see if they know when they'll have a decision. Then you can at least have some info and if necessary ask for more time from Bennington.

6 hours ago, papercut said:

Thank you!!!

It was in part logistical (I'm based in Canada and already navigated a lot of stupid immigration things to get here). Mainly it was their focus on cross-genre practices. I'm primarily a poet but I find working in other forms pushes my work in unexpected directions. And the fact that the university takes other, less recognised genres seriously (like writing for children & video game writing) is really exciting to me ☺️

hi! congratulations on the acceptance! I also got accepted to UBC today and it seems like they have a pretty early deadline for deciding on the offer. it would be a dream to go there but i'm still figuring out some funding logistics...may I ask how are you planning to approach it?

Y'all, I'm on three straight Rs at the moment and... ('panicking' is too dramatic a word for what I'm feeling, so I'm going to go with 'congealing') congealing in spirits. 😭😭 I'm surprisingly not feeling too terrible about it. I think all who got accepted or waitlisted eminently deserved it and your joy gives me joy. My writing/application is good but maybe not so good enough yet, so I appreciate the feedback. 

I know it's still really early and anything can change at a moment's notice (I certainly hope it does!), but I'm also seriously considering the very real possibility that I get in nowhere. What a bummer. Bummer. Bummer. I'd still be super proud of myself, though. I bet on myself. Despite everything going on in my life, I believed I deserved to get a spot in one of the most elusive and exclusive graduate programmes in the world, and I fought for myself! Love that for me and I'm not stopping! I'm going to keep writing my heart out and someday someone will hear me!! 

Good luck to us all as the rest of the season unfolds. Bring on the decisions, ye MFA lordlings!!! 

@Chex @saramsarang + anyone else  who may be feeling discouraged from rejections: You are worthy. You are interesting. You are unique. I'm sorry that the adcoms haven't seen it yet, but that doesn't mean it's not true. You got this, I'll be thinking of you and manifesting an acceptance soon!

happy Friday everybody. Let's do something nice for ourselves this weekend :)

8 hours ago, bluebikeyikes said:

hi! congratulations on the acceptance! I also got accepted to UBC today and it seems like they have a pretty early deadline for deciding on the offer. it would be a dream to go there but i'm still figuring out some funding logistics...may I ask how are you planning to approach it?

Congrats!!! So exciting. The acceptance date is really early though, you're right. We pretty much have 2 weeks to decide. I'm hoping that some of the other schools I'm waiting on come in soon so I'll at best have some funding bargaining power and at least have some closure. But I'm not going to turn down a definite thing that works for me for a dream maybe 😅 Are you applying domestically? 

3 hours ago, jadedoptimist said:

@Chex @saramsarang + anyone else  who may be feeling discouraged from rejections: You are worthy. You are interesting. You are unique. I'm sorry that the adcoms haven't seen it yet, but that doesn't mean it's not true. You got this, I'll be thinking of you and manifesting an acceptance soon!

happy Friday everybody. Let's do something nice for ourselves this weekend :)

Thank you! 🫂

2 hours ago, papercut said:

Congrats!!! So exciting. The acceptance date is really early though, you're right. We pretty much have 2 weeks to decide. I'm hoping that some of the other schools I'm waiting on come in soon so I'll at best have some funding bargaining power and at least have some closure. But I'm not going to turn down a definite thing that works for me for a dream maybe 😅 Are you applying domestically? 

Same, fingers crossed for us! Manifesting that you will get another yes soon. I'm really hoping for a fully funded acceptance. I'm international; to be honest, the only non-fully funded programs I applied are in Canada since I am interested in relocating there...the US doesn't feel safe political-wise, especially where I live. What about you? 

24 minutes ago, mudpuddle1 said:

1a/0w/0r/4p

Ahh!! It's so hard being patient. Still waiting to hear from these schools (for fiction!): 

University of Tennessee

Oregon State

University of Michigan

University of Kentucky

Anyone else?

I applied to UMich for poetry; I don't believe there's been any news reported so far. 

0a/2w/2r/8p

I’ve been lurking here for a few days after getting rejections from two schools and looking for other people in the same boat.

26 minutes ago, mudpuddle1 said:

1a/0w/0r/4p

Ahh!! It's so hard being patient. Still waiting to hear from these schools (for fiction!): 

University of Tennessee

Oregon State

University of Michigan

University of Kentucky

Anyone else?

May I ask which school you were accepted to? If it’s one of the schools I’m waiting on it’d be nice to know to expect something.

I applied to Michigan for fiction but haven’t heard anything.

Edited by 3feetofsnow

7 minutes ago, 3feetofsnow said:

0a/2w/2r/8p

I’ve been lurking here for a few days after getting rejections from two schools and looking for other people in the same boat.

May I ask which school you were accepted to? If it’s one of the schools I’m waiting on it’d be nice to know to expect something.

I applied to Michigan for fiction but haven’t heard anything.

The one acceptance I've received was from the University of Oregon!

7 hours ago, Chex said:

Y'all, I'm on three straight Rs at the moment and... ('panicking' is too dramatic a word for what I'm feeling, so I'm going to go with 'congealing') congealing in spirits. 😭😭 I'm surprisingly not feeling too terrible about it. I think all who got accepted or waitlisted eminently deserved it and your joy gives me joy. My writing/application is good but maybe not so good enough yet, so I appreciate the feedback. 

I know it's still really early and anything can change at a moment's notice (I certainly hope it does!), but I'm also seriously considering the very real possibility that I get in nowhere. What a bummer. Bummer. Bummer. I'd still be super proud of myself, though. I bet on myself. Despite everything going on in my life, I believed I deserved to get a spot in one of the most elusive and exclusive graduate programmes in the world, and I fought for myself! Love that for me and I'm not stopping! I'm going to keep writing my heart out and someday someone will hear me!! 

Good luck to us all as the rest of the season unfolds. Bring on the decisions, ye MFA lordlings!!! 

I feel all this. All of it. I’m as worried as you. Keep making art.