Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
3 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Same.  So people got Michener rejections already? I still haven't received rejections from Michener, Vanderbilt, or UMass Amherst. If it's not happening I want to cross them off the list.

Nope, no Michener rejections yet, we just know that poetry and fiction a/w are both out based on Draft. I believe Vandy hasn't sent rejections either. I wonder why they do it this way, rather than all at once. 

@triciadawnOmg, this is great! I know you were feeling discouraged after Umich, but look at you now!! hoping it works out finance-wise. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

Got into Minnesota State Mankato for fiction! No word on funding yet, but I’m SO EXCITED! 
 

1a/0w/3r/8p

Congratulations!!! I'm excited for you and hope everything works out re funding! You absolutely deserve this. Also, one of my favourite writers, Lesley Nneka Arimah, went to MS Mankato for her MFA in fiction; so double yay for you! 

4 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Same.  So people got Michener rejections already? I still haven't received rejections from Michener, Vanderbilt, or UMass Amherst. If it's not happening I want to cross them off the list.

Official rejections from Michener usually come 1 to 2 weeks after the acceptances and waitlists have gone out. Same for Vandy. In some years, Michener rejections appear in the application portal before any form email. If you haven't received an acceptance or waitlist by now, I'm afraid it's most likely a rejection. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

Got into Minnesota State Mankato for fiction! No word on funding yet, but I’m SO EXCITED! 
 

1a/0w/3r/8p

Congratulations!

Posted

Got my Syracuse rejection 😔 ah well. Brown and Hunter are my only fully funded hopes left (assuming rejection from JHU and Pitt), and the ones I feel are the best fit for me, so I'm holding out hope 🙏

0a/0w/2r/11p

Posted

Yeah I’m also on the Syracuse R list. If we assume Michener, Michigan, Vandy rejections I’m at: 0a/0w/8r/4p

 

and I’m getting so smoked at work, would love an eject button right about now

Posted

Congrats to the recent victories 😊 I always get a flash of envy when it comes to these things but it’s hard to last long when I see how excited y’all get. Truly an endearing sort of joy that is nice to see and sense. 
 

meanwhile I have yet to hear from UCI or Iowa but it’s cool it’s cool 😩😩 the news will come when it comes and I can’t do anything to control ittt aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted
1 hour ago, jadedoptimist said:

Oh my god guys. Oh my god. I'm on the Syracuse waitlist!!!!!!!!!

Listen, you're making it into at least one of these programs! Congratulations!!! 

11 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Groom all your email folders people. I’m waitlisted at UTK!

Yay!!! Congratulations! 

Posted (edited)

Also got waitlisted at Tennessee. It's a huge relief to get that for me. At least now I can tell myself that I'm not wholly inadequate.

Anyone have any idea how big the waitlist is? I saw someone say that last year the waitlist was over 80(!) people, which is insane (and tempers my excitement just a bit).

0a/1w/11r/5p

Edited by Southron
Posted (edited)

@wmly Yo, 3 waitlist club!! Personally I'm letting myself believe our odds are good!

@pomelo ahhhhh! It's happening. although the draft post was a little weird the way he phrased it, was anyone else confused why he was hedging whether he got in?

Edited by jadedoptimist
Posted
2 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

was anyone else confused why he was hedging whether he got in?

It read to me (through a screen and without knowing the person) like it might not have been a top choice for the person. Like a sort of whatever attitude. 

Posted

I'm out of reactions, but congratulations to all of you with good news to share!!!!! I'm so happy for you all!! And I hope some of those w's turn into a's for everyone:) 

Everyone struggling with uncertainty--I wish I had something worthwhile to say. I'm holding out hope that you all hear good news soon. This process is difficult--both on our wallets and our psyches. Many of us spent hundreds on application fees alone. Everyone here seems so kind and talented; I'm hoping we all get into programs this cycle, if only to spare us from doing this process again in the future.  

Since learning there's a possibility my 'a' program might be cancelled, I've been thinking a lot about how to cope if I have to go through a cycle again next year (and maybe the year after that... And after that...)... Upon research, it seems like a lot of excellent writers--many of whom are authors/professors/etc--were rejected across the board the first time around. It's just that so much about the recruitment process is up purely to chance. I have no doubt that every person here would thrive in an MFA program. 

I keep telling myself that, if I do have to go another cycle, I'll be coming out of this with experience, drive, and connections. I now know about new programs to apply for. I now know not to accidentally apply for unfunded programs. I now know talented, skilled, kind people like you all who I could probably bug to read over my SOP and sample. I've got a plan lined out to submit more, write more, etc.

I'm really, really hoping none of us have to go through this process again--because clearly, it is rough--but I think that, if we have to, we'll all be in a really good spot. 

I'm really hoping the best for everyone. 

Posted
Just now, electricstardust said:

have iowa results for fiction and poetry historically come out at the same time? 

yes, but not exactly the same time. same 2-week, period, I'd say? Do u guys agree?

Posted

any news on UC Riverside for fiction? or should I count it as another unofficial rejection 😅

i’m heading towards another year of 0 offers, so I’m trying to manage my expectations lol

Posted (edited)

Very well said, @Rixor.

I’m proud of all of us. No one understands this process, and how tough it is, better than the people who are living through it. I’m so thankful for this little community. We are writers!! MFA or not. Rejection stings but we have years of growth and change ahead of us and can re-apply if we choose to. I finally sat down and wrote a paragraph of a new short story today. First thing I’ve written since I started submitting apps. I like where it’s going. Funnily enough, it’s not something I would or could have written 3-6 months ago to include in my writing samples. 

Anywho. There is a really strong, comprehensive list of MFA resources on Winniebell Zong’s website in case anyone finds it helpful now or in the future:

winniebellxzong[dot]com/mfa

 

 

Edited by pomelo

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use