2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

2 hours ago, Saints_ said:

Lmao waiting on Minnesota as well. Nothing yet; gotta be this week tho

I believe Minnesota is done notifying. They made all their calls before the 21st and already invited prospies to recruitment events. 

6 minutes ago, Chex said:

Friends, Romans, GradCafe Compatriots, 

I have received what looks to be a tentative acceptance email from NYU! I cannot confirm it until I see the official acceptance email but I may be finishing this application season with something positive after all! 

Congrats! I hope they give you tons of money XD

14 minutes ago, Chex said:

I have received what looks to be a tentative acceptance email from NYU! I cannot confirm it until I see the official acceptance email but I may be finishing this application season with something positive after all! 

CHEX, OMG!!!!!!! This is so wonderful! Congratulations! 

16 minutes ago, Chex said:

Friend/Roman/Compatriot--wow!!!! What excellent news!! I'm so, so happy for you! 

4 minutes ago, prufrock_ said:

GRATS! Heck ya!!!

That school wasn't on my radar; I just checked the faculty and it's STACKED. That would be an amazing school! I hope the best for you (and i'm definitely applying there next year if I don't get anywhere this year!).

Thank you!! 

This may sound a little foolish but it was actually the first school on my radar because of their flashy faculty. I knew little about the MFA process then or what other schools had to offer, and I applied on the off-chance that I got in and got full funding (can't attend otherwise). I've been berating myself since for that silly gamble, but it seems NYU wants to give me a reason to smile. 

3 minutes ago, 3feetofsnow said:

Congrats! I hope they give you tons of money XD

Thank you!! I really truly dearly hope so! 

Thank you so much, @branch and @Rixor!!! I'm out of reactions but I am so grateful right now :)

21 minutes ago, Chex said:

YESSSS!!!! 

congratulations! this makes me super happy.

also, i hate you. 

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

YESSSS!!!! 

congratulations! this makes me super happy.

also, i hate you. 

LOL, thank you!!!

And please why, why, why do you hate me? :D

43 minutes ago, Chex said:

yayyyyy congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i also got in😳i can’t believe it

8 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Joyce Carol Oates and Ocean Vuong are why. 

I know! Their faculty is awesome. :)

2 minutes ago, electricstardust said:

yayyyyy congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i also got in😳i can’t believe it

Congratulations to you, too!!!!! Fingers crossed we both get full funding🤞🏾 

50 minutes ago, Chex said:

I also got this email! They called a friend of mine last week so I thought I had been soft rejected. If you are waiting, keep your head up. You never know when things will change. 

Watched a video from @alethewriter on TikTok (a fellow GradCafe user gave me his user)& he said that ~450 people applied for Fiction at Michener. He is a "reader" so he read them, and sent 60 applications that he thought were good back to Michener (with "19 phenomenal ones"). From there, the people at Michener go through those and pick the best 4. I think that's why the rejections are being sent out in phases (because "readers" do the initial rejections, so those who were declined first are getting the first rejections). *** at least this is what I am speculating

2 minutes ago, Jackedup said:

I also got this email! They called a friend of mine last week so I thought I had been soft rejected. If you are waiting, keep your head up. You never know when things will change. 

aaaa congratulations!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Chex said:

I know! Their faculty is awesome. :)

Congratulations to you, too!!!!! Fingers crossed we both get full funding🤞🏾 

good luck to all of us!! i don’t think i’ll be able to attend without funding so i really shot my shot lol

1 hour ago, Chex said:

Congrats!! May you all receive the best funding!

18 minutes ago, Jackedup said:

Congratulations! And welcome to the thread :)

11 minutes ago, electricstardust said:

aaaa congratulations!!!!!!!!

good luck to all of us!! i don’t think i’ll be able to attend without funding so i really shot my shot lol

Same. I hope everything works out perfectly for us. 

8 minutes ago, sylviaplathtears said:

Congrats!! May you all receive the best funding!

Thank you!! And may it be so! 

2 minutes ago, fathersuckle420 said:

Are the NYU emails tonight for poetry, fiction, CN, or all three? 

Mine was for fiction but I've seen similar reports from poetry applicants. Can't say about CN. 

17 minutes ago, fathersuckle420 said:

Are the NYU emails tonight for poetry, fiction, CN, or all three? 

I believe all three, but I could be wrong. The email is addressed to admits of the "creative writing program."

I applied for fiction

22 minutes ago, Chex said:

Congratulations! And welcome to the thread :)

Same. I hope everything works out perfectly for us. 

Thank you!! And may it be so! 

Mine was for fiction but I've seen similar reports from poetry applicants. Can't say about CN. 

Thank you! NYU is the second program I've heard back from, with a JHU rejection coming in two weeks ago. I am a longtime lurker on this thread, and have been watching it closely with a sinking feeling in my stomach. So if you are reading this right now with that same feeling, I see you. Take some time for yourself. Put your phone down/ computer away and go for a walk. It'll all work out just fine. You will survive and thrive no matter what happens within this process. 

4 hours ago, writercl said:

did anyone apply to UH (university of Houston)? and do we know how competitive the program is?

4 hours ago, ssuunn said:

I applied there and I have no idea how competitive it is. I know that it's more known for its PhD Creative Writing program. There was someone last year who got in off the waitlist who was active in Draft; but I'm not sure in terms of acceptance rate, how big the waitlist was, etc. From last year's list, someone said there were 5 fiction admits, but then someone else said 4-6 total for both poetry and fiction. Shrug

I think that someone was me! Our cohort has 8 MFAs - 5 fiction, 3 poetry, and there are I think 4 PhDs (1 fiction, 3 poetry). The second year cohort is bigger - 19 admits across MFA and PhD. The website says ~20 admitted per year across both genres, but that accounts for both MFA and PhD. I think it also says somewhere that acceptance rate is 3-5%, but I'm guessing that's also across both MFA and PhD. 

Edit to answer more questions lol: I think there were originally 5-6 MFA spots, but a PhD admit last minute pulled from the program and some additional funding opened up. I was told the waitlist was short, but didn't get a number.

Edited by sylviaplate
more thoughts

4 hours ago, writercl said:

did anyone apply to UH (university of Houston)? and do we know how competitive the program is?

I applied but have no idea about anything. 

like, at all. 

26 minutes ago, sylviaplate said:

I think that someone was me! Our cohort has 8 MFAs - 5 fiction, 3 poetry, and there are I think 4 PhDs (1 fiction, 3 poetry). The second year cohort is bigger - 19 admits across MFA and PhD. The website says ~20 admitted per year across both genres, but that accounts for both MFA and PhD. I think it also says somewhere that acceptance rate is 3-5%, but I'm guessing that's also across both MFA and PhD. 

Edit to answer more questions lol: I think there were originally 5-6 MFA spots, but a PhD admit last minute pulled from the program and some additional funding opened up. I was told the waitlist was short, but didn't get a number.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully I hear good news from them soon.