2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

2 minutes ago, messindistress said:

lol I would have sold my soul to get accepted into NYU

Same.

Has anyone else not been waitlisted or accepted anywhere yet? I’m a bit more than halfway through hearing from my schools and feeling so discouraged right now. So happy for everyone who’s heard good news, and I know many people have to apply many times to have success, I just feel as though I put all my resources towards this try and don’t know what the next year will look like if I don’t get in. (Sorry for the negativity, but hoping maybe someone else is feeling this way and this intense vulnerability may be helpful lol) 

Just now, nataliezimm said:

Same.

Has anyone else not been waitlisted or accepted anywhere yet? I’m a bit more than halfway through hearing from my schools and feeling so discouraged right now. So happy for everyone who’s heard good news, and I know many people have to apply many times to have success, I just feel as though I put all my resources towards this try and don’t know what the next year will look like if I don’t get in. (Sorry for the negativity, but hoping maybe someone else is feeling this way and this intense vulnerability may be helpful lol) 

I’m in the same boat as you and kind of foolishly assumed I would *probably* get an NYU spot because I live in NYC and wrote about it in my sample and SOP. It’s not over but it’s not looking great. I have 7 rejections (including the Michener and Vandy soft Rs) and am waiting on NYU, Iowa, Brown, UVA. Torture. The not knowing and thinking my phone might ring is likely worse than how I’ll feel with my full slate of rejections? Idk. Solidarity. 

22 minutes ago, nataliezimm said:

Same.

I, for one, am stress eating right now and panicking over my decision to have gone through this whole process at all. (I know I have one acceptance listed but apparently the program's at risk of canceLlaTIon? the heck, and because I feel like there wasn't much competition at all.) That on top of the general worthlessness I feel toward my writing is . . . well . . . let's just say it's not a good combination.

Edited by messindistress

2 hours ago, jka0124 said:

I believe Minnesota is done notifying. They made all their calls before the 21st and already invited prospies to recruitment events. 

That’s wild, since there aren’t any poetry acceptances listed on Draft or grad cafe

I haven't heard back from any of my schools yet and too feel as though I put all my resources into pursuing my dream. It's been incredibly challenging to imagine what the next year of my life will look like if I don't get in. The fear of not entering an academic institution next year has inhibited my ability to write through the anxiety, to continue to develop my prose and learn independently (something I was vehement about mere months ago). I don't think this is negative. I think many people are experiencing a similar realm of emotion and it's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one struggling. Thank you for being vulnerable. The best writers and artists are. Hoping you hear good news soon!

8 hours ago, pananoprodigy said:

900 just in fiction is CRAZY, I hope you're getting yourself a little or not-so-little treat today to celebrate! CONGRATS!

Thank you!

6 hours ago, jka0124 said:

The highest I’ve seen just for fiction is 1500. Iowa competition is nuts. 

To be fair, some of those applicants are obvious no’s—people who aren’t on draft or gradcafe or have never taken a workshop or even read much. They hear about Iowa, they think, “I can write a novel!” and apply. Not to knock their efforts, it’s just not…Iowa level, if that makes sense. 

For sure, the competition is intense, but I do think the relative size of their cohort gives them the ability to accept some people who are good writers but who other programs wouldn't take a risk on.

4 hours ago, rhiannonna said:

Huge congratulations!

Did she mention anything about funding/fellowships?

Funding is the same for everyone--$26,000 a year. I know that wasn't always the case but it is now!

5 hours ago, prufrock_ said:

I don't know if 'theo' or 'getty' from the draft spreadsheet are here, but they're a great example of what we're always talking about: they have many rejections -- and then an Iowa acceptance! I love this roller coaster of admissions, it's so cool we crowd source all this information and can follow along.

(also, grats if yall are here!)

I am Getty lol

Congratulations to those of you who got into NYU--a great achievement!

2 hours ago, Chex said:

Friends, Romans, GradCafe Compatriots, 

I have received what looks to be a tentative acceptance email from NYU! I cannot confirm it until I see the official acceptance email but I may be finishing this application season with something positive after all! 

Congratulations! Looks like we are building up a small NYU community here! 

5 hours ago, Karmazinov said:

ahhh. thank you.  😒

I mean UMass Boston actually.  Just assuming rejections anyway

A reliable source says they will send out acceptance on 1 March. 

12 minutes ago, nataliezimm said:

Same.

I've been waitlist in three places but hard rejected in 5. Then there's Vandy, NC, and now NYU. It doesn't look good for a bunch of others for a few reasons, the least of which is recommender failure. None of the school's i've been waitlisted at offer livable, or even close to livable money. And the big deal is, i have 18 schools left to hear from and do not feel confident at all. 

So despite the waitlists, I feel as you do. I applied to 27 schools because i want this so badly. and i'll take anywhere. I'm running out of time. i think this year, this first year of applying is it for me. i've been really happy for everyone and i REFUSE to shit on anybody's tomatoes. I think encouraging others helps a lot but sometimes i feel like a fraud. i'm telling the truth to everyone else but i cannot convince myself. 

and maybe we have something else in common; maybe how we feel comes from somewhere else inside and not because of the scoreboard under our names. 

20 minutes ago, bmac0927 said:

I haven't heard back from any of my schools yet and too feel as though I put all my resources into pursuing my dream. It's been incredibly challenging to imagine what the next year of my life will look like if I don't get in. The fear of not entering an academic institution next year has inhibited my ability to write through the anxiety, to continue to develop my prose and learn independently (something I was vehement about mere months ago). I don't think this is negative. I think many people are experiencing a similar realm of emotion and it's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one struggling. Thank you for being vulnerable. The best writers and artists are. Hoping you hear good news soon!

exactly this. 

I've been a ditchdigger for almost 25 years. i went to school at night and on weekends so I'd have a degree when i retire this summer. i was a laborer and a college student. what will i be now? i was going to be a grad student. 

35 minutes ago, nataliezimm said:

Same.

Yeah I got nothin so far. 2 rejections.

19 minutes ago, AngusWanderer said:

Congratulations! Looks like we are building up a small NYU community here! 

A reliable source says they will send out acceptance on 1 March. 

thank you!

36 minutes ago, darr1 said:

That’s wild, since there aren’t any poetry acceptances listed on Draft or grad cafe

I know. But sometimes people really just aren’t in any of these places. 

Vanderbilt is also done and already getting their acceptances together for recruitment. I wish they would just send out rejections too but 🤷🏾‍♀️

@Hjanep I’m also from NYC and did the same, so I’m with you. I think it felt like a slightly more likely option given it not being fully funded and accepting more people per year than some programs, but obviously still a long shot with that insane faculty. Doesn’t make me feel optimistic about the ones I’m waiting on. 

@messindistress that sounds so stressful, I’m sorry. I’m not sure which program it is, and I’m sure you’ve heard this a million times by now, but I think any acceptance to any of these programs means you were chosen out of a pool of talented writers, and there was something the faculty felt was truly special in your writing. So while I’m sure this moment is incredibly frustrating, I think it’s an amazing indication of your writing that you have an acceptance so far. But this process definitely creates a lot of doubt in your writing, it has for me too. 

@bmac0927 I’m feeling every bit of this with you. Thank you for saying that though - your words are a real comfort. I hope you also hear good news very soon! 

@Scribe I don’t know how you did 27 schools, that’s amazing - I did 17 and it took all of me. But I completely understand how you’re feeling, and I truly hope that one of your remaining 18 turns into an acceptance somewhere you can see yourself taking. (And also, as I’ve been a lurker for awhile, I have to say thank you for injecting a little humor into this otherwise painful process with your posts/comments here) 

I’m sorry you’re all feeling the same as I am (not a good feeling) but thank you for the solidarity. I think part of the tough part is this process can feel so isolating when part of the reason I’m applying is for a community of writers I don’t currently have - so it is nice to know I’m not alone in it. I really hope you all get some good news soon! 

Edited by nataliezimm

6 minutes ago, nataliezimm said:

@Hjanep I’m also from NYC and did the same, so I’m with you. I think it felt like a slightly more likely option given it being not fully funded and accepting more people per year, but obviously still a long shot with that insane faculty. Doesn’t make me feel optimistic about the ones I’m waiting on. 

@messindistress that sounds so stressful, I’m sorry. I’m not sure which program it is, and I’m sure you’ve heard this a million times by now, but I think any acceptance to any of these programs means you were chosen out of a pool of talented writers, and there was something the faculty felt was truly special in your writing. So while I’m sure this moment is incredibly frustrating, I think it’s an amazing indication of your writing that you have an acceptance so far. But this process definitely creates a lot of doubt in your writing, it has for me too. 

@bmac0927 I’m feeling every bit of this with you. Thank you for saying that though - your words are a real comfort. I hope you also hear good news very soon! 

@Scribe I don’t know how you did 27 schools, that’s amazing - I did 17 and it took all of me. But I completely understand how you’re feeling, and I truly hope that one of your remaining 18 turns into an acceptance somewhere you can see yourself taking. (And also, as I’ve been a lurker for awhile, I have to say thank you for injecting a little humor into this otherwise painful process with your posts/comments here) 

I’m sorry you’re all feeling the same as I am (not a good feeling) but thank you for the solidarity. I think part of the tough part is this process can feel so isolating when part of the reason I’m applying is for a community of writers I don’t currently have - so it is nice to know I’m not alone in it. I really hope you all get some good news soon! 

I only joined GradCafe tonight, during a moment of extreme isolation like what you're referring to. In the past hour and a half of hearing everyone's updates, wisdom, emotions, guidance, etc, I've found a great sense of comfort. It IS nice to know we aren't alone. Looking forward to listening and learning more:)

@Chex BIG BIG CONGRATS OMG I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! NYU is a dream if you can get the funding, so that's really amazing. I hope you thrive!! (And this small NYU cohort we have going on here is so nice, personally this is what I'm jealous of, that all of you guys get to meet and work with each other in the program! But I hope all of you have the time of your lives in New York!!)

@nataliezimm I'm in the same boat! It's my first time applying and I applied to only 12 schools because I'm an international applicant and didn't qualify for waivers in many of them. I do wish I'd been able to apply for more because currently I have 5 rejections, 4 soft rejections and only 3 schools left, but it was all I could afford, so I'm not blaming myself for it. That said, I haven't received a single waitlist, much less an acceptance and I'm staring down a barrel of rejections, even with the three schools left (it's Iowa, Brown and NYU so I'm not holding onto hope for it). Even though I did my very best and I put everything and more that I had into this, I have come to realise my writing sample might have sounded very immature compared to others in the application pool and it's very unlikely that my cycle is going to end with an acceptance. The truth is, I think the sooner you come to terms with it, the sooner you'll start figuring out what to do with your life the next year. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I don't mean to offend in any way, but I thought I was going to change my whole life this year with the MFA too and now that life threatens to stagnate, I'm scrambling to make sure I don't drown. Still daydreaming about an acceptance working out was not ideal for me because reality was threatening to swallow me whole. So I had to get my shit together you know?

I don't know how many schools you have left, but if you'd like to slowly start thinking about the next application cycle it might help? Not just in terms of giving yourself something to do as you wait anxiously for your remaining schools, but your call on whether you plan to apply again next cycle or you'll skip the next one and try next year instead is going to change the work style of your life. Because your life is once again going to be built around that choice for the next year or two. I don't think you have to start grilling yourself on it right away because you're probably burnt out and exhausted from the effort you put into this cycle, so rest, process everything and just idly consider it for a bit. That said, I really hope you can get into one of the remaining schools on your list and you get to live the life you envisioned for yourself in the next year. But know that you're definitely not alone and I'm super proud of you for applying, the first time is probably the hardest since you're trying to figure out everything by yourself! So sending you lots of hugs. 

48 minutes ago, nataliezimm said:

@Hjanep I’m also from NYC and did the same, so I’m with you. I think it felt like a slightly more likely option given it not being fully funded and accepting more people per year than some programs, but obviously still a long shot with that insane faculty. Doesn’t make me feel optimistic about the ones I’m waiting on. 

Yeah, all the schools I applied to are in NYC and not getting the email was a downer because I had my workshop instructor, who is an alum of the NYU Creative Writing Program, write my letter of recommendation and I went to a couple of the readings last fall to get a feel for the program and really felt it would be somewhere I'd thrive. 

But I'm giving myself some grace. I only made the decision to apply to MFA programs last April after taking a couple of workshops in the beginning of 2023.  Before then, I never considered this as a path for me. If it takes another year to polish off my pieces, then that makes sense. 

Also, framing it this way has really helped me and maybe it may help someone else: I'm willing to bet that we all applied because someone believed in us and our work. Some of us may have had work that was extremely well-received in writing workshops. We're just up against people who are also very talented. Some of them may be applying for the first time, some of them may have gone through this process before and learned what they had to work on to get accepted for the next round. 

If it's a no or waiting list spot from NYU, there are six more schools to go. And if it's a no across the board, I'm going to regroup for next year and take heart in this passage by Mary Oliver in "A Poetry Handbook."

"Many of my students would spend almost all of their time writing and very little of it reading the poems of other poets, if they and not I were setting the assignments. Sometimes I don't blame them. There are so many poets!

But, to write well it is entirely necessary to read widely and deeply. Good poems are the best teachers. Perhaps they are the only teachers. I would go so far as to say that, if one must make the choice between reading or taking part in a workshop, one should read."

Hi everyone! I have been reading this forum (literally every single page) since late January and only made an account now because I finally have information to share. First, I have gotten so many rejections which was hard to deal with. I applied to 9 programs and got 4 rejections so far and 1 soft rejection (Vanderbilt lol). But tonight, shortly after getting my fourth rejection (which was expected--thanks Michener portal for updating), I heard from UT-Austin NWP's program that I was accepted onto a "very short waitlist"! Still have no idea how many, or what my odds are of getting off (especially with them only accepting 3 poets), but I am feeling hope again! So grateful to have made it onto their waitlist because I love their program. I am poetry by the way, so this info does not apply to fiction people. Anyway, I wanted to share this because someone here was asking about NWP, and in the email they said they completed their admissions selection process. Since someone on draft was accepted a few days ago, I think it is safe to say they are done with acceptances. Not sure how many got waitlisted for it to be very short, but I imagine one should expect to hear from them soon if you are waitlisted. Wishing you all the best of luck out there!

Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance email from NYU!!! 🎉🎈🎊🍾 You should all be very proud of yourselves 😊 I didn't receive an email, but I'm confident I'll be happy pursuing my MFA elsewhere and can live out my writerly New York dreams at another time in my life LOL. I hope you all get tons of funding!!! 🤑🤑🤑

3 hours ago, Tuxedocat said:

But tonight, shortly after getting my fourth rejection (which was expected--thanks Michener portal for updating), I heard from UT-Austin NWP's program that I was accepted onto a "very short waitlist"! Still have no idea how many, or what my odds are of getting off (especially with them only accepting 3 poets), but I am feeling hope again! So grateful to have made it onto their waitlist because I love their program. I am poetry by the way, so this info does not apply to fiction people. 

Congratulations, this is great news!

I'm still out of reactions, so thank you @AngusWanderer, @saramsarang and everyone! Angus, I love that we're meeting here first. If the funding package works out I'm going to be really happy. I'm an international applicant who's never been to the US so the idea of NYC lowkey/highkey scares me but I'm also cautiously optimistic/excited.

@nataliezimm, @messindistress, @Hjanep, @bmac0927, and @Scribe, I know how you feel and I'm sending you every ounce of good luck for your remaining applications. This time yesterday I was at 7 straight Rs and no positive news at all, not even a waitlist. Yesterday evening, I allowed myself to start making concrete non-MFA plans for the year because it didn't look like anything better would turn up. And then the NYU email came; and even though it's still unclear I'll be able to attend until I learn more about funding, I feel gratified that somebody somewhere connected with my writing and it was not all a waste (no art or impassioned effort ever is, tbh). I'm deeply rooting for every one of you to get good news soon. I'm still waiting to hear from NWP, Iowa, Brown, and UVA (all fiction programs). I cannot wait to celebrate with you all.

@Tuxedocat big congratulations to you!! I hope you get in. @_redrabbit7 Brown notifications will likely arrive by mid March. @justasmidge that's a great quote and great mindset. I know NYU schools tend to notify late, usually in March. I'm rooting for you to get wonderful offers. 

I'm so proud of us all and encouraged by everything we've put into this. It's not over yet. 

Edited by Chex

6 hours ago, _redrabbit7 said:

Has anyone heard from Brown?

Not yet!

Just checked my portal for Michener and I was rejected. That makes 1a/0w/4r/5p. I’m assuming 3 soft rejections though (NWP, Iowa, and UMass Amherst.) Still waiting to hear from Brown and Sarah Lawrence. It’s not over til it’s over! 

Congrats to everyone who’s gotten an acceptance or waitlist notification! I’m so proud of you and I hope you get a chance to celebrate very soon. 

I hope that most of you go into these programs with an attempt to speak to the truth of our current context, for so often, what ends up happening is the folks that get the degree end up becoming petit-bourgeoisie adjunct professors somewhere. We all know the academy does not produce material change for those in the mud in the States and throughout the diaspora. I humbly ask that when you enter these institutions, the liberation struggles being fought right now are at the forefront of your mind as you write. We need more writers engaging in our current context, not just sitting around waxing about form that does nothing to improve the material conditions of those who feel the most weight from the state.
Free Sudan, Palestine, and all political prisoners.

Edited by a moor
improper grammer

7 hours ago, _redrabbit7 said:

Has anyone heard from Brown?

Someone (I forgot who) on this thread said they emailed Brown about the playwriting track and were told notifications would go out next week. I'm not sure whether to assume this is also true of fiction/poetry but hopefully?

Historically it looks like Brown sends acceptances as early as March 7th and as late as March 18th ~

I have another q about Iowa ~ if one lives outside of the U.S., will Iowa allow them to (slightly) keep (one little piece of) their dignity and NOT send a rejection via snail mail? I.e. just reject via email/portal? 

If so, that would comfort me greatly. 

(I'd rather not dread going to my mailbox for the month of March lolz.) 

----

Also I want to share a quote by Federico Fellini that feels relevant (!):

"One of the greatest handicaps is to fear a mistake. You have stopped yourself. You have to move freely into the arena, not just to wait for the perfect situation, the perfect moment... If you have to make a mistake, it's better to make a mistake of action than one of inaction."

Applying to MFA programs is taking a risk on yourself and your art. If you don't get into any programs this year, you should still be proud of yourself for stepping into the arena and making a mistake of action. Some people stay on the sidelines and never step in. ❤️ PLUS this is only one risk of hundreds/thousands (millionz?) that we will take as writers. ~ Keep taking risks love u all