2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

12 hours ago, cowboifairy said:

Hey! I was accepted for fiction and just had a call with Andrew Bourelle to learn a bit more. I can share a bit about what I learned but feel free to ask any specific qs! I'm meeting the current students on Thursday so can also forward any questions along. Basically, the TLDR is that the program is small but seems to focus on giving students as wide a range of experiences as possible. They encourage students to take cross-genre workshops and classes in the largest English department, have a lot of professional course options, and make working with Blue Mesa/their reading series super accessible. The total cohort is six per year for the MFA, but there is a larger 15-20 per year in the entire English department. Again, happy to share more and maybe meet you in the fall!

Omgggg cowboifairy congratulations on your acceptance! And thank you for sharing this info! UNM is one of my top choices and the program sounds amazing. but I know they only have 2 spots per genre so I’m feeling a little hopeless at the possibility of waitlist movement for me. Do you have any idea about how long the waitlist is or if they tend to move people off the waitlist? 

trying to cling to a little bit of hope if I can! Congrats to you for your fiction acceptance- I hope you have a great time meeting with currently accepted students! And I’m eager to hear more if you’re willing to share! Thank you for being so kind ☺️

5 hours ago, lychees said:

Hi everyone — in need of some advice. I was asked to formally respond to an acceptance by March 15, and while I'm absolutely thrilled at the acceptance, I'm stressed about the rest of my decisions, as I don't know which ones will be out by then. I'd ideally like to know what doors will be open or closed by that date, as I would feel awful accepting an offer without knowing my other admissions decisions. Coincidentally, I'll also be traveling internationally on March 15, so I'd like to have at least one extra day nevertheless.

Does anyone have experience with requesting an extension on a deadline to respond to an offer of admission? Is there a particular way I should go about it? This landscape is entirely foreign to me, and I'm not sure what to write or request specifically. 

5 hours ago, electricstardust said:

look up the council of grad schools april 15 resolution and see if the school is listed. if they are, then i believe they have to give you until april 15

I posted a link to the site on page 62

Anyone know more info on the debt issue at Arizona/ is it possible they may cancel the program or is it just going to take a while to release their decisions.

currently waiting to hear from Idaho, Wyoming, Iowa and Arizona 

Continued luck and well wishes to those still waiting!! 🤞🏻🙏

14 hours ago, cowboifairy said:

Hey! I was accepted for fiction and just had a call with Andrew Bourelle to learn a bit more. I can share a bit about what I learned but feel free to ask any specific qs! I'm meeting the current students on Thursday so can also forward any questions along. Basically, the TLDR is that the program is small but seems to focus on giving students as wide a range of experiences as possible. They encourage students to take cross-genre workshops and classes in the largest English department, have a lot of professional course options, and make working with Blue Mesa/their reading series super accessible. The total cohort is six per year for the MFA, but there is a larger 15-20 per year in the entire English department. Again, happy to share more and maybe meet you in the fall!

I applied there as well and have heard zip. I’m fiction so I’m still a little hopeful. And for a CNF I’m not sure you would do better somewhere else. I’m going from memory here but they are one of the handful of schools who push the business side a bit. They value the whole life. 

Another one bites the dust! Officially rejected from New Writers Project (Fiction). A bummer because both UT programs were tied for my #1 choice. 

edit: how common is it to end the season with 1a and 0w? Idk why but I feel silly having gotten no waitlist notifications at this point. (Still waiting to hear from four more programs, to be fair.) 

Edited by pomelo

12 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

I'm mildly bummed that the NWP and Michener acceptances don't seem to really be on here or Draft meaning i can't stalk them and read their work😂

I’m guessing you mean poetry? Hopefully someone will reveal themselves soon! I have to admit I’ve done the same for all the fiction acceptances. A lot of talent out there!

@pomelo ahahaha yes the poets ! such a mood. I love seeing other people's work cuz it's a little taste of what being in the program could be like. Btw i do feel like it's strange that you haven't gotten a wl, watch your last four schools all be wl 😂

I had an interview with Pitt like two weeks ago (CNF) that went...just okay on my end lol

But last night at 3am I got an email (because of course I was refreshing my mailbox) instructing me to make an account and that would be how the university would be "communicating regarding your application." I made an account but there's nothing there as far as I can tell. By chance anyone else receive the same email? I know it's not *bad* news, but maybe it's just one of those automated things for Pitt's system and I shouldn't read too much into it?

17 hours ago, decayingballads21 said:

Thank you for sharing this info! Any word on how many people they are accepting for each genre??

[Wyoming's] program used to do that thing where one year it was 5 fiction and 5 nonfiction, and the next year was 3 and 3, for whatever reason, but I heard they're moving away from that to a more standard number each year. So, at minimum, it's 3 fiction admits and 3 nonfiction.

Edit: Also heard their applications were low this year as some other programs have reported, like 200 or something, so that bodes well.

Edited by MernaHanson

1 hour ago, jadedoptimist said:

@pomelo ahahaha yes the poets ! such a mood. I love seeing other people's work cuz it's a little taste of what being in the program could be like. Btw i do feel like it's strange that you haven't gotten a wl, watch your last four schools all be wl 😂

We’ll just have to wait and see! 

1 hour ago, ssuunn said:

I'm not sure how to go back to my job every M-F for the next 4-5 months without being like "Wow This Doesn't Matter Now! I Will Be Leaving!"

I’ve been telling my friends it’s like having “senioritis” all over again. Except this time, I don’t have to worry about passing any classes. I am resigning from my job in June though. Can’t. Wait. 

39 minutes ago, iamreallyabigskeletonirl said:

Any chance for more iowa fiction acceptances? I'm holding out hope but I'm not sure. The application size is intense this year after all

I’m still hopeful too. I think if I don’t hear back by end of the week, maybe I’ll be less hopeful lol. 

17 hours ago, sunnysequoia said:

It definitely seems like programs tend to be biased toward younger writers, but it's not impossible to get admitted even if one is older. When I visited Miami University in Ohio recently, I audited a prose workshop in which there was a significantly older woman; she was probably in retirement age, maybe in her late 60s or 70s. That day, the class happened to be workshopping her story, and I greatly admired her courage in sharing her work with a population generations younger than her and the class for their generous feedback and inclusivity. So it's never too late to pursue an MFA, and I would say don't sell yourself short. Take a chance on yourself and don't tell yourself "no," because then the only thing preventing you from pursuing an MFA is not rejections from the programs, but you yourself. 

Speaking as someone who returned to university as an undergrad at 32; applied to graduate school closer to 40; and have now taught undergraduates myself as a fresh instructor, well into my 40s; mature students are not at a disadvantage when applying to programs at any level. If anything, most schools will give them closer consideration. It’s important to remember that every program, regardless of the discipline, is looking for dedicated candidates who they feel are likely to thrive and complete their degree successfully. That’s the bias the rules a review committee, and not an ageist attitude. Mature students bring a level of dedication that younger candidates can lack, or will fall out of with a rapid change in circumstances. Without fail, every mature student I have been to school with, as well as taught, are present, motivated, and determined to get the most out of their education experience — simply because they are absolutely sure they want to be there. It’s not an easy thing to step into — or return to — higher education as a more mature adult. I can say from experience that it’s easy, and normal, to feel conspicuous during early days, each school year; but professors and instructors love having someone who is motivated to participate, and bring different levels of perspective into classroom — especially in more communicative disciplines. I would never try to dissuade anyone from applying to go back to school, and pursue something they’re passionate about, later in life — if a review committee sees your potential, the school will be happy to have you. 

Edited by ie.impensive

Do you think contacting a program about when they will notify acceptances/rejections can possibly hurt your chances in any way? 

...I'm thinking of contacting Brown about fiction because that's just how impatient I am. 

Would it be better to lay off? 

9 minutes ago, dasiena said:

Do you think contacting a program about when they will notify acceptances/rejections can possibly hurt your chances in any way? 

...I'm thinking of contacting Brown about fiction because that's just how impatient I am. 

It likely wouldn't hurt your chances (unless you kept nagging them), but you're not likely to get any concrete answers either. Brown usually sends stuff out in early-mid March, I'm expecting we'll hear from them in the next 2-3 weeks

1 hour ago, DanielNiver said:

I had an interview with Pitt like two weeks ago (CNF) that went...just okay on my end lol

But last night at 3am I got an email (because of course I was refreshing my mailbox) instructing me to make an account and that would be how the university would be "communicating regarding your application." I made an account but there's nothing there as far as I can tell. By chance anyone else receive the same email? I know it's not *bad* news, but maybe it's just one of those automated things for Pitt's system and I shouldn't read too much into it?

Nevermind y'all, I received a letter of acceptance this morning (Woot, woot!) May others receive equally great news today! 🥹

Just now, writernity said:

It likely wouldn't hurt your chances (unless you kept nagging them), but you're not likely to get any concrete answers either. Brown usually sends stuff out in early-mid March, I'm expecting we'll hear from them in the next 2-3 weeks

Yeah you're probably right. A response like this is what they would most likely send me anyway.

Just feeling anxious, like everyone else in this time. 

50 minutes ago, ie.impensive said:

Speaking as someone who returned to university as an undergrad at 32; applied to graduate school closer to 40; and have now taught undergraduates myself as a fresh instructor, well into my 40s; mature students are not at a disadvantage when applying to programs at any level. If anything, most schools will give them closer consideration. It’s important to remember that every program, regardless of the discipline, is looking for dedicated candidates who they feel are likely to thrive and complete their degree successfully. That’s the bias the rules a review committee, and not an ageist attitude. Mature students bring a level of dedication that younger candidates can lack, or will fall out of with a rapid change in circumstances. Without fail, every mature student I have been to school with, as well as taught, are present, motivated, and determined to get the most out of their education experience — simply because they are absolutely sure they want to be there. It’s not an easy thing to step into — or return to — higher education as a more mature adult. I can say from experience that it’s easy, and normal, to feel conspicuous during early days, each school year; but professors and instructors love having someone who is motivated to participate, and bring different levels of perspective into classroom — especially in more communicative disciplines. I would never try to dissuade anyone from applying to go back to school, and pursue something they’re passionate about, later in life — if a review committee sees your potential, the school will be happy to have you. 

A few folks in my undergrad class and who audited some of my classes across subject matters were middle aged or post-retirement and tbh a lot of them were more engaged than the rest of us. In my post-college online writing classes I’m usually the youngest or close to the youngest in the room by a decade (or several decades normally) and I’m in my late 20’s lol.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of that skew against older applicants in the numbers is due to folks who haven’t really written before or haven’t been edited before submitting applications to fully funded program because it seems like an easy next step, while being totally unaware of how awful the competition really is. And then self selecting out of next year’s cycle when it doesn’t work out and going towards other avenues like self publishing, directly soliciting agents rather than waiting for an MFA, or applying to different low residency and writing retreat options instead. 

My recommenders last year were really upfront that it’s normal to take 3 or more rounds of applications to get any acceptances, and flagged my first round waitlist as a win. Not everyone, especially folks with kids or other family responsibilities, wants to or can pay for three cycles or more, let alone prolong this much stress over several years. (I have a feeling that I’m not making it this round and its hard to decide if I want to do it another time, its a fuckton of money.)

1 minute ago, dasiena said:

Yeah you're probably right. A response like this is what they would most likely send me anyway.

I completely feel you. Some of us just want all the decisions out at this point so we can rip off the band aids, stop being in a state of limbo and move on with our lives, but unfortunately we're only at the end of February, so we have to hang in there for a month more at least! Sending you lots of luck and patience, let's get through this together!

19 minutes ago, dasiena said:

I contacted Iowa last week about when they would be sending out responses for fiction and they gave me an estimated time frame of end of February to early March. It's completely fine to check in, but they will likely only provide a time frame and nothing more. It also would be good to ask how acceptances are contacted/informed, but don't expect anything super concrete 

23 minutes ago, dasiena said:

I would recommend not contacting personally. I know the professors fairly well, and I get the vibe that they prefer to be 'left alone' somewhat for the decisions process. That said, they're all incredibly kind, so I don't think it would be a point against you by any means. However, I think waiting until mid-March since they stress mid-March might be wiser. Also, I am happy to answer Brown question people have since I know it's a bit mysterious over there! 

10 minutes ago, dasiena said:

I got my fiction rejection from Brown on 3/17 last year if that helps give you a target date for panicking. Assuming acceptances and waitlists go out a week or so before, as seems to be the norm with programs that don’t sit on rejections, I would guess the range is 3/9-3/16 for fiction. Poetry was all like one week before fiction.