2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

1 hour ago, ssuunn said:

I think we were all kinda talking about the number of applications at the start of the cycle, and this definitely seems true for some programs, but I think I read Idaho got a record number of applications not only for their program, but their entire graduate school. Michigan said over 800, which would be slightly more than last year. And someone else said Iowa got 900 fiction apps alone? So, it's sort of interesting to wonder which programs saw more apps and which saw less. IIRC @DanielNiver mentioned a school that got far fewer apps than expected... (I guess you don't have to fess up!) I wish we had stats for the last 3-5 years, because it certainly didn't feel like, at the end of this, that there were fewer apps than last year. WAY more stats given in Draft, but also way fewer given on the GradCafe results page. (This also might be endemic to younger people tending toward social media rather than a standalone forum? Who knows?)

Hahaha my bad! I just didn't want to inflate expectations for those who applied to the specific program, but Wyoming was the program which I was told by a current MFA student that was a bit lower than normal.

I officially let my apartment know i'm not renewing my lease. I now have 59 days to either get an acceptance and move to wherever wants me, or find another apartment around here for another year while working on next years applications. As if the process couldn't be more stressful 😮‍💨

Edited by prufrock_

🕯      🕯   🕯
     🕯                          🕯
  🕯                                 🕯
🕯              ❤️ iowa         🕯
  🕯. poetry                       🕯
    🕯            summoning  🕯
        🕯            circle 🕯
            🕯   🕯  🕯  

4 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

🕯      🕯   🕯
🕯              ❤️ iowa         🕯
  🕯. poetry                       🕯
        🕯            circle 🕯
            🕯   🕯  🕯  

🕯      🕯   🕯
🕯             ❤️ brown         🕯
  🕯                poetry         🕯
        🕯            circle 🕯
            🕯   🕯  🕯  

Received an email a few hours ago informing me that I've been waitlisted for Brown Digital/Cross-disciplinary MFA. Two applicants have been accepted and two waitlisted. They said they received 1,100 applications for 12 spots across all their Lit Arts tracks. I'm so worried right now. What's the probability that someone will reject Brown's offer so I could get their spot? 😔

Edited by _redrabbit7

Congratulations to people on the Brown acceptances and waitlists, it's incredible news!

All of these Brown notifications are making me antsy. I know part of it is because I really love Brown's program, but mostly it's because it means my cycle is over and I'm coming out with all rejections. I'm unsure about what to do with my life in the next year, I also keep saying next year like I'm applying next cycle but I don't know what kind of stories I want to tell right now either, so everything is very uncertain. But it is what it is, life goes on and I'll pick up the pieces. For everyone else still waiting on more schools, I'm sending good luck your way, I hope you hear some good news! And to those who are in a similar position as me, I hope your writing strengthens and you fall in love with it even more. 

(On a more funnier note, for everyone else who is waiting on Brown, even Jess on draft said that Brown is their "white whale" so it really is one of the universe's deep dark mysteries 👀)

I got interviewed by Miami today and came away with a really excellent impression of the program there. They said they only take 3 in each genre, so my odds are still long, since I assume, based just on time slots they offered that the'yre interviewing at least ~10 per.  But if they take me I would definitely consider moving to S. Florida.

Also got a really nice waitlist notice from UVA several days ago, and they said not to post anything until the 5th. This is the only school I've seen do that, but I guess they want to wait till they can notify everyone (instead of waiting weeks like some schools). They won't say how many people are on the waitlist, though.

8 minutes ago, Scribe said:

linked in lets you know who searched you. 

Ahhh I see. I don't like thinking about these programs googling me, because one of the only things that comes up with my name is a book of short stories I wrote when I was 10 that my dad self published for me. There's no escaping it, it haunts me

19 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

I got interviewed by Miami today and came away with a really excellent impression of the program there. They said they only take 3 in each genre, so my odds are still long, since I assume, based just on time slots they offered that the'yre interviewing at least ~10 per.  But if they take me I would definitely consider moving to S. Florida.

Also got a really nice waitlist notice from UVA several days ago, and they said not to post anything until the 5th. This is the only school I've seen do that, but I guess they want to wait till they can notify everyone (instead of waiting weeks like some schools). They won't say how many people are on the waitlist, though.

I didn’t go to UM, but I did go to FIU for undergrad and most all the CRW professors are friends. I’ve heard great things about their program so fingers crossed for you!! If you want any info about Miami, or South Florida, let me know—I was born and raised here! 

22 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Also got a really nice waitlist notice from UVA several days ago, and they said not to post anything until the 5th. This is the only school I've seen do that, but I guess they want to wait till they can notify everyone (instead of waiting weeks like some schools). They won't say how many people are on the waitlist, though.congratulations. And sorry, you’re which genre and when were you notified of an interview?

10 minutes ago, goldentulip said:

I didn’t go to UM, but I did go to FIU for undergrad and most all the CRW professors are friends. I’ve heard great things about their program so fingers crossed for you!! If you want any info about Miami, or South Florida, let me know—I was born and raised here! 

Wow thanks! I hope I hear back from them in a week or so. I'll definitely hit you up for Miami advice.

Kind of random, but still literary! Since Miami has been mentioned, and its 305 day (our area code, it’s a big celebration), I must share about our city! Aside from what you all may have heard about this city (and the state it resides in), it’s an awesome literary city! If you ever want to visit, we have an amazing poetry festival (O,Miami) every April (national poetry month) that “aims to have every person in Miami-Dade County encounter a poem during the month of April.” (I’ve seen Kaveh Akbar, Paige Lewis, and Hanif Abdurraqib here!) They do a lot of great community work! Then in November, we have a really well rounded, week long book fair. Both events get incredible writers into the city (in previous years I’ve seen poets like Ross Gay, Major Jackson, Sam Sax, Chen Chen, Mahogany L. Browne, Nicole Sealey, Sandra Cisneros [got to interview her!!!], Fatimah Asghar)! 

And finally: our local, independent bookstore—Books & Books, just recently started a literary foundation to help continue its community building and help fight against a lot of the book bans and restrictive legislation we’re facing in the state! 

Okay, sorry for my ramble, but I do love this city, and hope you all can come one day and visit (maybe during these special events)! 

Edited by goldentulip
mistakes

8 hours ago, DanielNiver said:

Hahaha my bad! I just didn't want to inflate expectations for those who applied to the specific program, but Wyoming was the program which I was told by a current MFA student that was a bit lower than normal.

This makes me feel a little ~bad~ bc they rejected me, and in their email they told me the whole spiel about “we had a significantly larger number of applicants this year” 😭

10 hours ago, itsbeensnowing said:

Ahhh I see. I don't like thinking about these programs googling me, because one of the only things that comes up with my name is a book of short stories I wrote when I was 10 that my dad self published for me. There's no escaping it, it haunts me

how is there not a lmao emoji here?

3 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

I have been listening to Carrie & Lowell by Sufjan Stevens to prepare for my Oregon trip... not sure it's the right move, because it's so depressing lmao

Ha! As we speak, I'm googling california songs. 

Y’all, I emailed one of my schools that waitlisted me with a follow up email asking about the waitlist size and if it’s ranked or not. I emailed them on Friday last week and I haven’t gotten a reply back yet. Do you guys think this is a bad sign?  I’m stressing out 😭

22 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

Y’all, I emailed one of my schools that waitlisted me with a follow up email asking about the waitlist size and if it’s ranked or not. I emailed them on Friday last week and I haven’t gotten a reply back yet. Do you guys think this is a bad sign?  I’m stressing out 😭

I don't think it's a bad sign. I don't think it's wrong to ask, either, unless the initial email specifically says not to ask. Things are just busy, I'm sure.