2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

Did anyone else get the email from Emerson today inviting them to a creative writing program webinar on the 13th? I nearly had a heart attack seeing Emerson in my inbox again. Deeply disappointed that they just seem to want to advertise the program again -- I attended three of their webinars during the application cycle and enjoyed them all, but this one doesn't seem necessary without sending out acceptances (or rejections!) for the priority applicants first!

And to all the others waiting for news from Sarah Lawrence this week, I'm with you 😅

Edited by rco_

1 minute ago, rco_ said:

Did anyone else get the email from Emerson today inviting them to a creative writing program webinar on the 13th? I nearly had a heart attack seeing Emerson in my inbox again. Deeply disappointed that they just seem to want to advertise the program again -- I attended three of their webinars during the application cycle and enjoyed them all, but this one doesn't seem necessary without sending out acceptances (or rejections!) first. 

And to all the others waiting for news from Sarah Lawrence this week, I'm with you 😅

I got an email from Arizona today and almost had a heart attack because I thought I was finally getting some closure - but no, it was just a marketing flier for their undergrad program, lol. 

5 minutes ago, pananoprodigy said:

I got an email from Arizona today and almost had a heart attack because I thought I was finally getting some closure - but no, it was just a marketing flier for their undergrad program, lol. 

Can these marketing departments please read the room? 😭

2 hours ago, saramsarang said:

HOLY SHIT YESSSS CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you and real proud of your journey, after all those waitlists Brown finally came through!

Thank you !! yes omg, truly the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

1 hour ago, AngusWanderer said:

OMG huge congratulations! I'm so so happy for you! 

Thanks Angus :)I couldn't have done it without the support of the online writing community!!!

15 minutes ago, minivercheevy_ said:

Another poetry acceptance up on draft... I put an unhealthy amount of hope into getting into Iowa at the cost of not an insignificant amount of my sanity. This trickle-system of notifications is just plain torture. 

Same 😭😭Iowa is my last hope of an acceptance other than my waitlist and it’s been my dream school for years. Every single day I just keep waiting for a call that seems less likely by the minute.

Hi friends! I am late to the game but just spent an hour getting caught up with everyone. I'm Canadian but living in Melbourne and went through the applying process alone here. I graduated from journalism in Toronto 2 years ago and have applied to UBC, The New School, NYU, Columbia, Sarah Lawrence, University of Edinburgh, CCNY. SO far got into New School and CCNY for fiction but waiting on NYU and Columbia as they are obvi my number 1s. Any idea when columbia is sending out emails? Nervous cuz I haven't heard anything about NYU and i see some have received emails! Might have to join the summoning circle! Lol

8 minutes ago, RobbieWrites said:

Hi friends! I am late to the game but just spent an hour getting caught up with everyone. I'm Canadian but living in Melbourne and went through the applying process alone here. I graduated from journalism in Toronto 2 years ago and have applied to UBC, The New School, NYU, Columbia, Sarah Lawrence, University of Edinburgh, CCNY. SO far got into New School and CCNY for fiction but waiting on NYU and Columbia as they are obvi my number 1s. Any idea when columbia is sending out emails? Nervous cuz I haven't heard anything about NYU and i see some have received emails! Might have to join the summoning circle! Lol

I would love to know about Columbia too. I think NYU is done with acceptances (who knows there might still be a waitlist and I don't count anything out until I get the letter—looking at you, UMass) since they are having accepted students visit next week.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

42 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

Rejected from South Carolina.... where I was waitlisted last year... Very weird!

This has happened to quite a few people, they get rejected from the place they were waitlisted in the last year even though their application is stronger. It is weird, but I think it's another testament to how subjective the whole MFA process is and all you can do is your best and hope the odds are in your favour. I'm sure you already know at this point because many people have mentioned all of what I'm about to say before. But it has more to do with the cohort they're putting together this year, the themes the cohort writes about and the ways the compliment each other but don't repeat each other, and the fact that you're competing with a different pool of people from last year also weighs in! Just like you've reworked your application for this year's cycle, South Carolina has a new vision for this year's cycle. So my point is, don't overthink it! Sending you hugs ~

Edited by saramsarang

22 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

This has happened to quite a few people, they get rejected from the place they were waitlisted in the last year even though their application is stronger. It is weird, but I think it's another testament to how subjective the whole MFA process is and all you can do is your best and hope the odds are in your favour. I'm sure you already know at this point because many people have mentioned all of what I'm about to say before. But it has more to do with the cohort they're putting together this year, the themes the cohort writes about and the ways the compliment each other but don't repeat each other, and the fact that you're competing with a different pool of people from last year also weighs in! Just like you've reworked your application for this year's cycle, South Carolina has a new vision for this year's cycle. So my point is, don't overthink it! Sending you hugs ~

Thanks! I'm fine since I'm in a good spot this cycle, it's just a little perplexing regardless!

About to leave for Italy in a few hours - Sarah Lawrence and Columbia, it would be nice to get some good news before airplane mode goes on!

Also, for those of you who are local to NYC, I asked TNS if I could meet with a faculty member to discuss the program and see if it's a fit and they have been really accommodating. They're going to set me up with a faculty member and a student after Spring Break, which I thought was really nice of them. I think it's worth asking for :)

27 minutes ago, smeef420 said:

hi y'all, how do we know brown is notifying for fiction today? just wondering

i don't think we know? but sorry if you got that from my post about brown fiction notifying tomorrow (today). i was just internet summoning it. lolol 

23 minutes ago, justasmidge said:

About to leave for Italy in a few hours - Sarah Lawrence and Columbia, it would be nice to get some good news before airplane mode goes on!

Also, for those of you who are local to NYC, I asked TNS if I could meet with a faculty member to discuss the program and see if it's a fit and they have been really accommodating. They're going to set me up with a faculty member and a student after Spring Break, which I thought was really nice of them. I think it's worth asking for :)

I live in Italy. :) Just know that it might be a new and tiny torture to have most of this mfa stuff silent for the first good half of the day, then slowly begin to trickle out around 3/4 p.m. On the other hand, you'll wake up in the morning with a good couple inches added to the google sheet.

You would think that quiet mornings with no news might be peaceful, and to that I would say: for you I hope they are. ❤️ 

Safe travels! 

Edited by dasiena
grmmrz

20 minutes ago, dasiena said:

i don't think we know? but sorry if you got that from my post about brown fiction notifying tomorrow (today). i was just internet summoning it. lolol 

hehe all good! just wondering how anxious I should be today 

15 minutes ago, dasiena said:

I live in Italy. :) Just know that it might be a new and tiny torture to have most of this mfa stuff silent for the first good half of the day, then slowly begin to trickle out around 3/4 p.m. On the other hand, you'll wake up in the morning with a good couple inches added to the google sheet.

You would think that quiet mornings with no news might be peaceful, and to that I would say: for you I hope they are. ❤️ 

Safe travels! 

Oh, that's awesome!!! My father is from Sicily but grew up around Milan after an earthquake devastated his hometown of Partanna. We are going to Milan first and then we will be flying down to Sicily :)

Thank you so much for the tips - I was wondering how the waiting game was going to sort out with being 6 hours ahead :) The best of luck to you :)

🕯      🕯   🕯
     🕯                          🕯
  🕯                                 🕯
🕯     ❤️NYU/Brown         🕯
  🕯            fiction              🕯
    🕯           summoning   🕯
        🕯           circle    🕯
            🕯      🕯  🕯