2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

15 minutes ago, trenchywrench said:

on the note of Rutgers (Camden)...i applied for fiction and haven't heard anything, the latter of which seems to apply to a lot of us. is it true that R (C) has notified people of rejections in the past beyond the April 15 "D-day" deadline?

Yes, tis true. My rejection last year was on April 18th, and I think that's true of everyone. They were also quite late in 2022, albeit a few days before April 15. Based on the results page, it seems like they used to be a lot more prompt about it (mid-March). I don't know if the past two years have been fluke years or if the late notifications is the new norm. (Based on the fact we haven't heard anything yet this year, I'm guessing it's the latter.)

16 minutes ago, itsbeensnowing said:

Yes, tis true. My rejection last year was on April 18th, and I think that's true of everyone. They were also quite late in 2022, albeit a few days before April 15. Based on the results page, it seems like they used to be a lot more prompt about it (mid-March). I don't know if the past two years have been fluke years or if the late notifications is the new norm. (Based on the fact we haven't heard anything yet this year, I'm guessing it's the latter.)

even though we're calling their choices based on the data they're giving us, there's no way the program officials don't know how bad these very late rejections make them look. i hope they get it together in years to come.

hi people! 

anyone have any info on the Pitt waitlist? size or if it’s ranked or not? 

I emailed asking about it but haven’t heard back yet

any info would be great!! 

TIA 🫶🏻🫶🏻🫶🏻

Hey people

Does anyone have any intel on the waitlist movement at Arkansas for fiction? Also, does anyone have any intel on acceptaces for fiction at Arkansas? Couldn’t find anything regarding this either here or draft. 

Kinda stressed with D-Day approaching lmao. 

I feel silly goofy even asking this but has anyone worked with an MFA consultant or something similar during the app process? I'm pretty skeptical about that kind of thing but now that I'm thinking about next year I can kinda see the value in having someone help with the SOP in particular (I feel like that may have been the weakest part of my application; it's at least the part I put the least effort into😬). Idk, just fishing for thoughts. 

I'm kinda in a state of uncertainty--one of my acceptances might be cancelled, the other hasn't given me funding info, and the rest of the good news I have are waitlists. I'm hoping I get to attend a program this year, but I've accepted it might not happen. 

Since I've been staying off this forum, I wanted to drop in and thank you all for being here and for all the wonderful advice and camaraderie. Thanks to you all, I've managed to survive this process with some sanity intact.

Hoping the best for all of you! 

5 hours ago, trenchywrench said:

even though we're calling their choices based on the data they're giving us, there's no way the program officials don't know how bad these very late rejections make them look. i hope they get it together in years to come.

This.

1 hour ago, pananoprodigy said:

I feel silly goofy even asking this but has anyone worked with an MFA consultant or something similar during the app process? I'm pretty skeptical about that kind of thing but now that I'm thinking about next year I can kinda see the value in having someone help with the SOP in particular (I feel like that may have been the weakest part of my application; it's at least the part I put the least effort into😬). Idk, just fishing for thoughts. 

Look into Jess Silfa. They are an admin on Draft and offer workshops JUST for the admissions process. They've been on Jared McCormack's 'MFA Writer's Podcast' twice, once for just being an MFA expert.

2 hours ago, prufrock_ said:

Anyone else waiting on LSU or heard back? I saw one 'waitlist' on march 1st at draft, but seems like radio silence otherwise.

i also applied—nothing yet for me!

also, @camwithquestions, fiancée got her NYU Paris low-residency rejection for fiction today. not sure if that information helps you as i don’t know to which program, or for which genre(s), you applied. but data is data and i thought of you.

Edited by trenchywrench

Hey all,

Has anyone ever received a full tuition waiver from Emerson? Any insight into what financial aid usually looks like? Any thoughts or advice on what to do to get more aid? Currently foundering in the idea that I may be paying off debt for the rest of my life

1 hour ago, picklesaa said:

Hey all,

Has anyone ever received a full tuition waiver from Emerson? Any insight into what financial aid usually looks like? Any thoughts or advice on what to do to get more aid? Currently foundering in the idea that I may be paying off debt for the rest of my life

Emerson is a private institution. i’m not sure how exactly the M.F.A. is funded or how thoroughly, but my younger sister’s there for her undergrad with a 60% scholarship. she started as a Sophomore because she had enough credits from community college to waive her Freshman year, and she’s living on campus. let’s just say i’m one of her loan guarantors—because i love her—but i was skeptical about doing that because i would NEVER, EVER put myself into the amount of debt she’s going into, nor did i recommend she do the same. be wise. if your only option is to take out more debt than you’re comfortable with, consider applying next year. i’m in a similar boat with one waitlist to NYU right now and having not heard back from a lesser-known, newer program as for some reason they choose to notify just before the April 15 deadline.

This is truly the most excruciating stage of the season. Waitlists, uncertain funding, presumed rejections without any official notification, and a couple random stragglers that seemingly haven't even sent acceptances yet. It's a strange limbo to be in: Pretty much done, yet can't finalize any plans yet because there's still technically a chance of something happening. Hoping the finish line is near!

9 hours ago, pananoprodigy said:

*waves* @Scribe already mentioned me (thank you!) but I can tell you what I’ve got coming up. If anyone feels weird about me talking about what I’ve got going on, sorry! I can delete.

1) I’m holding a masterclass via Cleaver Magazine on applying to MFAs.

2) I’m also holding a six-week summer class specifically for people reapplying in fiction. Several of my students last year got into Iowa, Michigan, Vanderbilt, etc.

3) I also do consultations on a sliding scale. Cleaver set the price of the masterclass, but I generally take a “pay what you can” approach for everything else, down to doing it for free. I’m just trying to get everyone into grad school 😂

Hi everyone. It feels opportunistic to jump in right now with doubts but I wanted to try and ask for help regardless. First off Congratulations to all of us for making it this far. I think it’s ridiculous this entire process and I think it’s made us closer to being writers or whatever- considering this feels alot like self inflicted torture too. 

I wanted to understand the implication of doing a TA job on a 1:1 load which requires 15 hours a week of work. I’m an international student with no teaching experience and at present not much inclination (public speaking). The idea of putting the time toward this while also doing 2 more courses in a week scares me—does this leave enough time to write? Am I panicking and is this actually an ok amount of time? 

Also If anyone knows anything about Notre dame in terms of personally knowing the program/faculty/opportunities please do also comment.

This is what I can offer in return: I have a black tongue that sometimes makes wishes come true. 

Right. Have a great day everyone. And let's keep writing! 

8 minutes ago, ALittleConfused said:

Hi everyone. It feels opportunistic to jump in right now with doubts but I wanted to try and ask for help regardless. First off Congratulations to all of us for making it this far. I think it’s ridiculous this entire process and I think it’s made us closer to being writers or whatever- considering this feels alot like self inflicted torture too. 

I wanted to understand the implication of doing a TA job on a 1:1 load which requires 15 hours a week of work. I’m an international student with no teaching experience and at present not much inclination (public speaking). The idea of putting the time toward this while also doing 2 more courses in a week scares me—does this leave enough time to write? Am I panicking and is this actually an ok amount of time? 

Also If anyone knows anything about Notre dame in terms of personally knowing the program/faculty/opportunities please do also comment.

This is what I can offer in return: I have a black tongue that sometimes makes wishes come true. 

Right. Have a great day everyone. And let's keep writing! 

I can tell you very little but I’ll do what I can. 
I recently found out I’ll be expected to put 20 hours a week into teaching a single class. I was also told to absolutely set that as an upper limit. So if you’re doing 15 I would say that’s pretty good but also set that as your upper. Limit. 
in my program it seems other students do find ways to make money on the side without compromising their writing time. 
BUT we also only take one class, not two. The remaining credits are comprised of the workshop element which is demanding but seems to have at least some of the writing time built in to the credit load. I’ve heard this about other programs as well. 
finally, my director has told me that it’s “bad” to spend too much time writing. I think what’s going to happen is my writing time will be more scheduled, directed, and disciplined. As such it will be more efficient. 
I hope this for both of us. 

Thank you so much @Scribe this is helpful. Also a bit unnerving because one of the programs that has made me a offer has stipend tied to fellowship duties for year 1 giving me more time to write. The other is the teaching one. It's been weird navigating all of this from afar I wish I had the resources to come visit but that's not an option. I don't think either are wrong or right but making a decision that upends my life as it is I feel like I need to go in with maximum clarity. 

4 minutes ago, ALittleConfused said:

Thank you so much @Scribe this is helpful. Also a bit unnerving because one of the programs that has made me an offer has stipend tied to fellowship duties for year 1 giving me more time to write. The other is the teaching one. It's been weird navigating all of this from afar I wish I had the resources to come visit but that's not an option. I don't think either are wrong or right but making a decision that upends my life as it is I feel like I need to go in with maximum clarity. 

Either program should be willing to put you in touch with current students. They can tell you real specifics and they will. 
you’re totally right about maximum clarity. Fellowship duties could be more hours than teaching and they certainly may not allow for as much flexibility. But then u may be assisting someone who asks for very little. 

8 hours ago, RobbieWrites said:

Anyone else hear back from Columbia and NYU today. I have and I'm wondering if a few went out?

What kind of notification did you get, and for what genre? Fiancée got her NYU Paris low-residency rejection yesterday, but i don’t know about the full-residency or Columbia sending out any notifications.

11 hours ago, jka0124 said:

*waves* @Scribe already mentioned me (thank you!) but I can tell you what I’ve got coming up. If anyone feels weird about me talking about what I’ve got going on, sorry! I can delete.

1) I’m holding a masterclass via Cleaver Magazine on applying to MFAs.

2) I’m also holding a six-week summer class specifically for people reapplying in fiction. Several of my students last year got into Iowa, Michigan, Vanderbilt, etc.

3) I also do consultations on a sliding scale. Cleaver set the price of the masterclass, but I generally take a “pay what you can” approach for everything else, down to doing it for free. I’m just trying to get everyone into grad school 😂

do you have a website/place i can look into this summer class, and is it online? even if i go where i think i may be going this year, i’ll still want to apply for transfer in the 2025 cycle and i would love to look into your seminar.

37 minutes ago, trenchywrench said:

do you have a website/place i can look into this summer class, and is it online? even if i go where i think i may be going this year, i’ll still want to apply for transfer in the 2025 cycle and i would love to look into your seminar.

Also wondering this, I’d definitely love to apply for the summer class!