2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

Just now, ajcam said:

Did someone say there are 20 Oregon  notifications on draft? I couldn’t understand such a high number when they only accept 6-8 fiction seats. Can Anyone shed any light? I’m so confused 

No, I just meant that in the last 20 reported results on Draft, they've all been for fiction, and that includes a wide variety of acceptances/waitlists/rejections from various programs.

10 minutes ago, ajcam said:

Did someone say there are 20 Oregon  notifications on draft? I couldn’t understand such a high number when they only accept 6-8 fiction seats. Can Anyone shed any light? I’m so confused 

I think that includes waitlisted applicants. 

3 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

No, I just meant that in the last 20 reported results on Draft, they've all been for fiction, and that includes a wide variety of acceptances/waitlists/rejections from various programs.

Oh thank you! Makes sense. ☺️

42 minutes ago, ajcam said:

2 waitlists, 1 acceptance on draft's spreadsheet edit: oh oops, didn't update before replying!

Edited by lemmmein

3 hours ago, sunnysequoia said:

Was this post deleted?? I’m not seeing this update in Draft.

So I’ve been accepted to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio for nonfiction!! 😱😱😱 I almost missed the email because it landed in my updates and not primary inbox and the subject line read, “At Miami University, good news travels fast!” which if you ask me is a rather unsuspecting email LOL.

Considering this is a fully funded program, I guess I’m definitely not applying to the remaining NYC and SF schools on my list 😆

1a/1w/0r/11p

Whoops, I wasn't specific enough-- as Triciadawn said, the updates were in the Draft spreadsheet, not Facebook posts 😅 Congratulations on Miami!! :D

4 hours ago, sunnysequoia said:

Was this post deleted?? I’m not seeing this update in Draft.

So I’ve been accepted to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio for nonfiction!! 😱😱😱 I almost missed the email because it landed in my updates and not primary inbox and the subject line read, “At Miami University, good news travels fast!” which if you ask me is a rather unsuspecting email LOL.

Considering this is a fully funded program, I guess I’m definitely not applying to the remaining NYC and SF schools on my list 😆

1a/1w/0r/11p

Let's go!!!!!!!  I am so happy for you and congratulations, Miami is truly lucky to have you if you decide to go, and I hope you love it there.  They're one of my top choices, and I truly hope I get to join you there!  I have not heard back yet.

9 hours ago, girlgenius said:

A current student at U of Minnesota mentioned on Draft that notifications would be going out "very soon".......😵‍💫! (according to an email they received from admin on Friday)

Thank you so much for letting us know!  Much appreciated.  Wishing you the best of luck and rooting for you with Minnesota!

Also apologies for the general question, but I was just wondering if you all don't mind me asking: did anyone here applying to Pittsburgh never receive a confirmation email and/or applicant portal?  On Grad CAS, it says my application is confirmed to be submitted, and I sent in my application days before the deadline, but strangely, I never got an applicant portal, confirmation email, or anything from Pittsburgh and felt like this wasn't normal so just wanted to check.

Edited by antseverywhereallatonce
Typo

21 minutes ago, antseverywhereallatonce said:

Also apologies for the general question, but I was just wondering if you all don't mind me asking: did anyone here applying to Pittsburgh never receive a confirmation email and/or applicant portal?  On Grad CAS, it says my application is confirmed to be submitted, and I sent in my application days before the deadline, but strangely, I never got an applicant portal, confirmation email, or anything from Pittsburgh and felt like this wasn't normal so just wanted to check.

Now that you mention it, I didn't get one either 🤔 I guess Grad CAS doesn't send emails, maybe? I guess it's supposed to be the portal too?

Just now, writernity said:

Now that you mention it, I didn't get one either 🤔 I guess Grad CAS doesn't send emails, maybe? I guess it's supposed to be the portal too?

That's really odd you didn't get an email either!  Grad CAS sent emails for the other universities I applied to so I am unsure too.  Hopefully it's not something wrong, and good luck with Pittsburgh!  I am rooting for you.

30 minutes ago, antseverywhereallatonce said:

Let's go!!!!!!!  I am so happy for you and congratulations, Miami is truly lucky to have you if you decide to go, and I hope you love it there.  They're one of my top choices, and I truly hope I get to join you there!  I have not heard back yet.

Thank you so much for letting us know!  Much appreciated.  Wishing you the best of luck and rooting for you with Minnesota!

Thank you (and to everyone else!) for the congratulations! 🥰

I received a confirmation email from GradCAS after submitting my application, and my application status is “complete.” Did you pay the application fee? I’ve noticed all these programs consider your program submitted after you hit the submit button, but only after paying the fee afterward is it considered complete.

3 minutes ago, sunnysequoia said:

Thank you (and to everyone else!) for the congratulations! 🥰

I received a confirmation email from GradCAS after submitting my application, and my application status is “complete.” Did you pay the application fee? I’ve noticed all these programs consider your program submitted after you hit the submit button, but only after paying the fee afterward is it considered complete.

Agreed, congrats to everyone who got into Miami Nonfiction!

Good to hear you got a confirmation email!  I also paid my application fee, and my application status is "complete,"  but I never got an email from GradCAS or Pitt, and I'm unsure why.  I'm thinking I might email them soon just to double check

Edited by antseverywhereallatonce

15 minutes ago, antseverywhereallatonce said:

That's really odd you didn't get an email either!  Grad CAS sent emails for the other universities I applied to so I am unsure too.  Hopefully it's not something wrong, and good luck with Pittsburgh!  I am rooting for you.

I think that was the only one that went through Grad CAS for me, so I wasn't sure 😅 I'm sure it's fine as long as it says it was submitted. If we don't hear anything in half a month or so we can always contact them and make sure they went through lol. Same to you, best of luck!! 🙏🙏💜

EDIT: I just double checked and I DID get a gradcas submission confirmation email, it just doesn't specify which school. Check to see if you got anything like that maybe?

Edited by writernity
Missing info

48 minutes ago, writernity said:

I think that was the only one that went through Grad CAS for me, so I wasn't sure 😅 I'm sure it's fine as long as it says it was submitted. If we don't hear anything in half a month or so we can always contact them and make sure they went through lol. Same to you, best of luck!! 🙏🙏💜

EDIT: I just double checked and I DID get a gradcas submission confirmation email, it just doesn't specify which school. Check to see if you got anything like that maybe?

Hey, thank you so much for checking!  I truly appreciate that and your kind wishes.  I also have Grad CAS submission confirmation emails, but they were unfortunately only around the submission of my other schools and not Pitt.  I really appreciate you letting me know, though, thank you so much!  I will probably reach out to Pitt tomorrow just to double check.

Good luck to everybody today with the new decisions coming out, rooting for you all!

There's a new report here on gradcafe. An acceptance from Northwestern Litowitz, CNF. You'd have to search with 'MFA' or 'Litowitz' as the key word, not 'creative writing'. Anyone else hear from them? 

Also, there's an interview report for playwriting from UT Austin. I'm thinking this is the program that's outside Michener and NWP because those typically don't request interviews. 

Also, for people who're not on Draft, a poetry applicant to Florida State University (FSU) reported getting an email informing them to expect an official offer of admission soon. 

It seems this week has a lot more news in store, so good luck to every one of us! 

T

2 hours ago, Chex said:

There's a new report here on gradcafe. An acceptance from Northwestern Litowitz, CNF. You'd have to search with 'MFA' or 'Litowitz' as the key word, not 'creative writing'. Anyone else hear from them? 

Also, there's an interview report for playwriting from UT Austin. I'm thinking this is the program that's outside Michener and NWP because those typically don't request interviews. 

Also, for people who're not on Draft, a poetry applicant to Florida State University (FSU) reported getting an email informing them to expect an official offer of admission soon. 

It seems this week has a lot more news in store, so good luck to every one of us! 

thanks for this. I was pretty disheartened by that UT result. 
There’s still hope!

5 minutes ago, pomelo said:

I applied to Northwestern and have not received an update yet (just checked my email and the application portal). How do I go about my day knowing a decision is coming lol? 😬

I haven't received any update either. There's also no word on Draft. That being said, I'm poetry (not CNF) and it seems poetry notifications are coming after other genres this year. 

Northwestern is my top choice so I'm hoping maybe they just haven't notified all acceptances or waitlists! Waiting is the hardest part. Best of luck to you! 

12 minutes ago, CorneliusBreadicus said:

I haven't received any update either. There's also no word on Draft. That being said, I'm poetry (not CNF) and it seems poetry notifications are coming after other genres this year. 

Northwestern is my top choice so I'm hoping maybe they just haven't notified all acceptances or waitlists! Waiting is the hardest part. Best of luck to you! 

Good luck to you too! At the very least I hope decisions come out swiftly, whatever the outcome may be

Just got rejected for a position because I gave an honest weakness during the job interview 😔 I thought the whole 'strengths disguised as weaknesses' thing was frowned upon! Oh well. 

I keep having very silly nightmares about the Draft notification sheet, except my potential schools and employers are filling it out and listing all of my flaws and failures in the notes section 😅

Anyways, congrats to those who are seeing acceptances and waitlists! Rooting for everyone! I'm hoping we hear more news the rest of this week! 

6 hours ago, Chex said:

1 hour ago, pomelo said:

I applied to Northwestern and have not received an update yet (just checked my email and the application portal). How do I go about my day knowing a decision is coming lol? 😬

4 hours ago, Scribe said:

T

thanks for this. I was pretty disheartened by that UT result. 
There’s still hope!

1 hour ago, CorneliusBreadicus said:

Really rooting for you all, good luck with Northwestern and UT!

7 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Just got rejected for a position because I gave an honest weakness during the job interview 😔 I thought the whole 'strengths disguised as weaknesses' thing was frowned upon! Oh well. 

I keep having very silly nightmares about the Draft notification sheet, except my potential schools and employers are filling it out and listing all of my flaws and failures in the notes section 😅

Anyways, congrats to those who are seeing acceptances and waitlists! Rooting for everyone! I'm hoping we hear more news the rest of this week! 

And I am so sorry to hear about the rejection, that's a rough place to be in, and I am wishing you the best with the other positions you applied for!  Rooting for you.

10 hours ago, antseverywhereallatonce said:

Hey, thank you so much for checking!  I truly appreciate that and your kind wishes.  I also have Grad CAS submission confirmation emails, but they were unfortunately only around the submission of my other schools and not Pitt.  I really appreciate you letting me know, though, thank you so much!  I will probably reach out to Pitt tomorrow just to double check.

Good luck to everybody today with the new decisions coming out, rooting for you all!

I also never received an email confirming my submission to Pitt from gradcas. I talked to gradcas this morning though, and they said that it had been submitted, so I've no idea why there wasn't an email sent.

11 hours ago, Chex said:

I applied to Northwestern for CNF and haven't heard anything, pretty sure that means a rejection. ngl feels pretty terrible because that was my top choice, I figured it was a long shot but damn the rejection still stings 🥲

Edited by infiniteplane

2 minutes ago, infiniteplane said:

I applied to Northwestern for CNF and haven't heard anything, pretty sure that means a rejection. ngl feels pretty terrible because that was my top choice, I figured it was a long shot but damn the rejection still stings 🥲

i wouldn't give up all hope until you hear one way or another.

That is a tough rejection though if it does happen since they only accept specific genres every other year. They were one of my top choices but I didn't apply because I didn't have a critical writing sample ready.

On 1/29/2024 at 10:31 AM, Rixor said:

I actually almost completed my application to CU boulder... Until I realized about their funding system! A shame; both CU Boulder and CSU seem like they have lovely programs but I likely wouldn't be able to afford either. Interesting to know we're in the same boat. 

Hey folks I'm resurrecting this...because I applied to Boulder this cycle and was wondering if anyone had insight into whether the program's reference to "opportunities for funding via GA/TA-ships" was in any way substantial? I haven't been able to find any number$ online as to funding amounts. Insights appreciated!