2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

59 minutes ago, prufrock_ said:

i wouldn't give up all hope until you hear one way or another.

That is a tough rejection though if it does happen since they only accept specific genres every other year. They were one of my top choices but I didn't apply because I didn't have a critical writing sample ready.

i'm under the assumption that acceptances get sent out all at once, but is that not always the case? to me it doesn't make sense to stagger them like you would with acceptances, rejections, waitlists, etc. 🤔

and yeah that was probably a smart decision on your part. i was definitely rushing to throw together a critical writing sample because i wanted to apply there so badly...wouldn't be surprised if that brought down the overall quality of my app

53 minutes ago, seeleimraum said:

Hey folks I'm resurrecting this...because I applied to Boulder this cycle and was wondering if anyone had insight into whether the program's reference to "opportunities for funding via GA/TA-ships" was in any way substantial? I haven't been able to find any number$ online as to funding amounts. Insights appreciated! 

i did some quick math a few months ago and even under the BEST SCENARIO where you get everything they offer every year (not exactly likely), you'd still be in about 15-20k worth of debt after their MFA.

edit: this is assuming there's not some secret funding they don't have listed on their programs website; i don't have any insider info.

Edited by prufrock_
context

I just got an email from Columbia about a separate financial aid form that's due tomorrow that I don't remember seeing before 😭 And it requires you to list out your financial plan to fund your education... the basic truth is, if I don't get near-full funding, I cannot afford to go to Columbia. But I can't exactly put that, can I? I'm not sure what to tell them... I probably shouldn't have bothered applying there at all, since it's so ridiculously unaffordable, but I hoped I'd find out about acceptance and award offers before having to fill out something like this.

5 hours ago, Southron said:

I also never received an email confirming my submission to Pitt from gradcas. I talked to gradcas this morning though, and they said that it had been submitted, so I've no idea why there wasn't an email sent.

That is really odd, hopefully it works out for both of us!  Thanks for letting me know, and I'm rooting for you and wishing you good luck.

1 hour ago, seeleimraum said:

Hey folks I'm resurrecting this...because I applied to Boulder this cycle and was wondering if anyone had insight into whether the program's reference to "opportunities for funding via GA/TA-ships" was in any way substantial? I haven't been able to find any number$ online as to funding amounts. Insights appreciated! 

Soooo i deferred my acceptance last year because of funding and i talked with the department a lot. SUPER nice and helpful people but basically unable to give me too much detail. What the GA/TA ship thing means is basically that some of their students are funded while others are not. In my case last year they were able to fund 3/5 of us. Those three were fully funded along with stipend and me and the other person would not be able to receive any funding through the program. The woman that i spoke with told me i might possibly get money through TA ships in other departments other than creative writing, but basically that i was not guaranteed and that i would have to search for my own TAships each semester. These also would likely not cover my entire tuition. Hopefully that info helps - I was told so much information last winter that i hope im making sense lol

5 minutes ago, Elle18 said:

Soooo i deferred my acceptance last year because of funding and i talked with the department a lot. SUPER nice and helpful people but basically unable to give me too much detail. What the GA/TA ship thing means is basically that some of their students are funded while others are not. In my case last year they were able to fund 3/5 of us. Those three were fully funded along with stipend and me and the other person would not be able to receive any funding through the program. The woman that i spoke with told me i might possibly get money through TA ships in other departments other than creative writing, but basically that i was not guaranteed and that i would have to search for my own TAships each semester. These also would likely not cover my entire tuition. Hopefully that info helps - I was told so much information last winter that i hope im making sense lol

Thanks Elle...I am disappointed to hear they'd only fund some of the cohort. That helps a lot, appreciate it!

11 hours ago, Scribe said:

T

thanks for this. I was pretty disheartened by that UT result. 
There’s still hope!

when you applied to UT, did they send you a confirmation? I didn't and now I'm questioning if I even really applied 😩

16 minutes ago, TPike said:

when you applied to UT, did they send you a confirmation?

UT Austin only sends you a confirmation when you first set up your general U Texas grad school application, but you don't receive a confirmation about the program-specific material submissions because there is no formal Submit button -- the materials are just uploaded to the portal and remain there until review, similar to Iowa if you applied there.

Edited by girlgenius

2 minutes ago, girlgenius said:

UT Austin only sends you a confirmation when you first set up your general U Texas grad school application, but you don't receive a confirmation about the program-specific material submissions because there is no formal Submit button -- the materials are just uploaded to the portal and remain there until review, similar to Iowa if you applied there.

Gotcha, thanks so much!!

Someone on Draft just shared they got a phone call acceptance to Northwestern for poetry. Congrats to them (and anyone who has been accepted). Guess the rest of us will soon find out if we were waitlisted or rejected. 

Just now, pomelo said:

Someone on Draft just shared they got a phone call acceptance to Northwestern for poetry. Congrats to them (and anyone who has been accepted). Guess the rest of us will soon find out if we were waitlisted or rejected. 

Big congrats to them!! I hope some folks here made the waitlist! 

I'm expecting a rejection for me at this point. At least the hardest rejection came first!! It probably would have hurt a hell of a lot more had my first choice school sent rejections in March or April after months of waiting. Onward and upward.

57 minutes ago, pomelo said:

Congratulations to them! I’m still hoping for an acceptance. How many people do they usually accept? 

20 minutes ago, TPike said:

Congratulations to them! I’m still hoping for an acceptance. How many people do they usually accept? 

Since 2018 they have admitted 5 to 8 students per cycle. Last year they admitted 6 out of 239 applications. They are one of the few programs I’ve seen that is very transparent about how many people apply and how many are admitted. 

tgs(dot)northwestern(dot)edu/about/program-statistics

2 hours ago, TPike said:

when you applied to UT, did they send you a confirmation? I didn't and now I'm questioning if I even really applied 😩

It should be available through their portal. 
a check of my inbox doesn’t reveal any confirmations. 

7 minutes ago, pomelo said:

Since 2018 they have admitted 5 to 8 students per cycle. Last year they admitted 6 out of 239 applications. They are one of the few programs I’ve seen that is very transparent about how many people apply and how many are admitted. 

tgs(dot)northwestern(dot)edu/about/program-statistics

Thank you for this information! Do you think it’s naive to hope for an acceptance of I wasn’t contacted today? 

1 hour ago, CorneliusBreadicus said:

Big congrats to them!! I hope some folks here made the waitlist! 

I'm expecting a rejection for me at this point. At least the hardest rejection came first!! It probably would have hurt a hell of a lot more had my first choice school sent rejections in March or April after months of waiting. Onward and upward.

You’re not alone! They were one of my top choices. Onward and upward indeed! I’m rooting for all of us.

7 minutes ago, TPike said:

Thank you for this information! Do you think it’s naive to hope for an acceptance of I wasn’t contacted today? 

Not naive! The only people who know how these things work are the ones making the decisions. And it doesn’t look like they’ve sent out waitlists yet. 

Edited by pomelo

53 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Hey all! Does anyone have any insights on how AWP will affect notifications? E.g., is it safe to assume that no schools will notify next week? Thanks!

I think the only thing that's safe to assume at this point is that it's not safe to assume anything about this process 🤣 there are prevailing opinions that AWP will undoubtedly disrupt/slow the notification process, and that seems very logical to me. Tons of people go to this thing, so that means tons of people won't be working or reading apps or sending emails. But - and this is just my opinion as an applicant - I don't think every ~single~ program will necessarily be affected by AWP / affected to the same extent (whatever that extent may be). I really don't expect to hear back from the bulk of my programs until March, being as I applied to almost all fully-funded, large university programs as a poetry applicant. But there is no way of knowing, really. Best to distract ourselves and hope for the best!

4 minutes ago, pomelo said:

You’re not alone! They were one of my top choices. Onward and upward indeed! I’m rooting for all of us.

Not naive! The only people who know how these things work are the ones making the decisions. And it doesn’t look like they’ve sent out waitlists yet. 

You’re so right! Hoping the best for you. Onwards and upwards ❤️