2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

13 minutes ago, PinkBlue said:

Also I wasn't sure if anyone posted already, but I received a University of Oregon acceptance this week. They said they were kind of early this year. 

Poetry or fiction?

3 minutes ago, PinkBlue said:

Fiction!

Grats! It sounds like most acceptances/waitlists might have gone out for u of oregon this week, and we'll see a wave of rejections maybe in a few weeks (that's my assumption, having applied and having not heard back yet).

On 1/31/2024 at 5:19 PM, GoldenTree said:

I'm not sure about other schools but I do know the University of South Carolina doesn't send them out all at once. On their FAQ page they say: "We typically email first-round acceptances by late February and send out additional acceptances on a rolling basis through April. Once the entire admissions process is complete (usually late April), our university notifies applicants who were not admitted"

I'm not sure how many other schools do this but that's all the information I have. 

To me, that reads like they are referring to their waitlist and that you could be accepted off of it at anytime after they send out their acceptances.

1 hour ago, CorneliusBreadicus said:

What?? Isn't this a top program? I didn't apply but I'm so sorry for anyone who did. Why would a program cancel so suddenly? Did the email say anything else?

The email didn't give any reasons, but last year in draft, there were people asking about rumors they had heard that the UF program was in trouble. No one knew anything at the time, but it was obviously something.

Edited by Southron

Holy crap re: UF. I figured some programs would shut down (see: Purdue ●︿●) given the economic climate, but didn't think any of them would straight up cancel the program after most people have sent in their apps... 

Given the timing, I wonder if it was a sudden and unforeseen budget cut. It's a huge hassle to refund app fees. 

3 hours ago, PinkBlue said:

Just got it too! So strange. I wonder what happened.

Also I wasn't sure if anyone posted already, but I received a University of Oregon acceptance this week. They said they were kind of early this year. 

I know you were accepted for fiction (congrats!), but I applied to Oregon for poetry and wondered if they gave you any indication as to whether just their fiction decisions were "early" or the whole program in general? I haven't heard from them yet. Cheers!

Has anyone heard about any fiction responses from FSU yet? They were out by this time last year, and draft has acceptances up for both poetry and CNF.

Also, I think it's safe to claim a Pitt rejection since I haven't heard anything from them and several others received interview requests at the start of this week.

0a/0w/1r/Now 15p (thanks UF)

Edited by Southron

36 minutes ago, TPike said:

I’m STILL waiting on Draft to accept me. I’ll probably hear back from another school before them. Fingers crossed it’s good news 

This is random, but did you answer the two questions (I think it's genre and one other thing) when you submitted your request to join? One of the mods just posted about an affiliated "Draft community" group, and they said to make sure to respond to the questions when joining, or otherwise they won't approve the request. So if you didn't realize there were questions, maybe that's it!

But if you already knew about this - sorry they're being so slow! That's really frustrating.

12 minutes ago, bluespruce said:

This is random, but did you answer the two questions (I think it's genre and one other thing) when you submitted your request to join? One of the mods just posted about an affiliated "Draft community" group, and they said to make sure to respond to the questions when joining, or otherwise they won't approve the request. So if you didn't realize there were questions, maybe that's it!

But if you already knew about this - sorry they're being so slow! That's really frustrating.

I’m sick to my stomach. To think my wait is starting over bc of some questions 😭😭😭 thank you. I did not know that. 

3 hours ago, TPike said:

I’m STILL waiting on Draft to accept me. I’ll probably hear back from another school before them. Fingers crossed it’s good news 

Seriously, what is their problem?

Got an acceptance:) Smaller school without automatic full-funding, but I got accepted with offered funding. I'm pretty stoked! The email was so incredibly kind. UN-Reno in case anyone else applied there! I'm overthinking hardcore how to write the email back... I want to express just how excited I am, but don't want to come off as unprofessional or off-putting!

Going to count UMn as a rejection--my application was incomplete anyways (recommender missed the firm deadline). Also my SOP for there was my first, and thus was pretty cringe.

Post-deadline regret is awful!! I didn't know WWU existed until now. It seems like an incredible program; I wish I'd've applied! Good luck to those of you going:)

Writernity and Brdiget, thank you so SO much for your responses to my little rant-post! (And Scribe, for empathizing with me!) I'll do my best to heed the Tumblr post, think logically about my goals and the metrics I use to gauge my own success, and overall build confidence:)

So sorry to those who applied for UF. That's so bizarre... I'm glad they're refunding your application fees, at least, but I understand how hard it must be to essentially receive an automatic rejection. That time/energy could've been used in applying for another program. I hope all is okay with the faculty and current students, too--I can't imagine what circumstances could've prompted a drastic change like that. 

Congrats to everyone receiving good news! Hoping we hear more over the weekend before AWP week :)

4 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Got an acceptance:) Smaller school without automatic full-funding, but I got accepted with offered funding. I'm pretty stoked! The email was so incredibly kind. UN-Reno in case anyone else applied there! I'm overthinking hardcore how to write the email back... I want to express just how excited I am, but don't want to come off as unprofessional or off-putting!

Going to count UMn as a rejection--my application was incomplete anyways (recommender missed the firm deadline). Also my SOP for there was my first, and thus was pretty cringe.

Post-deadline regret is awful!! I didn't know WWU existed until now. It seems like an incredible program; I wish I'd've applied! Good luck to those of you going:)

Writernity and Brdiget, thank you so SO much for your responses to my little rant-post! (And Scribe, for empathizing with me!) I'll do my best to heed the Tumblr post, think logically about my goals and the metrics I use to gauge my own success, and overall build confidence:)

So sorry to those who applied for UF. That's so bizarre... I'm glad they're refunding your application fees, at least, but I understand how hard it must be to essentially receive an automatic rejection. That time/energy could've been used in applying for another program. I hope all is okay with the faculty and current students, too--I can't imagine what circumstances could've prompted a drastic change like that. 

Congrats to everyone receiving good news! Hoping we hear more over the weekend before AWP week :)

Congratulations!! 

2 hours ago, Rixor said:

Congratulations!!! 🎊🎈🎉🍾 

13 hours ago, Rixor said:

NOW, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

14 hours ago, Rixor said:

Congrats!!!! 

Working with Claire Stanford would be awesome!! I wish I knew about this program. Def feeling post-deadline regret now. 😂

16 hours ago, Rixor said:

ALL OF THE CONGRATULATIONS!!! 🎉 We love a kind email :) Wishing you the best of luck in corresponding with UNV-Reno; overthinking is super real, but I'm sure they're just as excited to have you in their program as you are.

I just had my interview with Boise State (poetry) yesterday. I think I did well l enough. They said they'd get back to me early next week; fingers crossed! (If anything, at least it won't be a long and agonizing wait...just a short and agonizing one.)