2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

3 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

I also can’t help but wonder if it’s another Vandy situation where someone is just trolling us

wait what?

that happened??

4 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

I also can’t help but wonder if it’s another Vandy situation where someone is just trolling us

I was a little surprised they would be making calls past 5pm but I guess it could make sense that they are trying to catch people when they aren't at work. 

Looking at the notifications from past years, is it typical for Iowa (or any other school) to call later in the night? Most of the timestamps im seeing are either at like 1pm or near midnight, and I don't know if that's because it's when they would actually call or if there's a lot of people who are applying from different timezones and they're using local time for their timestamp.

Edited by LivingUnderABigRock

4 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

It's possible; for last cycle, the earliest acceptance (for fiction) from Iowa was 2/13, so it's plausible. 

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

wait what?

that happened??

oh yeah, someone said upthread they have a friend currently in poetry at Vandy who talked to a faculty member who said they haven't made decisions yet...

7 minutes ago, LivingUnderABigRock said:

I was a little surprised they would be making calls past 5pm but I guess it could make sense that they are trying to catch people when they aren't at work. 

Looking at the notifications from past years, is it typical for Iowa (or any other school) to call later in the night? Most of the timestamps im seeing are either at like 1pm or near midnight, and I don't know if that's because it's when they would actually call or if there's a lot of people who are applying from different timezones and they're using local time for their timestamp.

Based on last year’s spreadsheet, it looks like some people got weekend calls. I think it’s very possible that the calls end up going out in the evenings or over weekends when people aren’t working. I envision them finishing discussions and then making some calls same day which would push the times to later? But I don’t actually have any intel, am just imagining scenarios 

5 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

oh yeah, someone said upthread they have a friend currently in poetry at Vandy who talked to a faculty member who said they haven't made decisions yet...

you know what would be horrible, if someone was messing with the poster. like someone called the poster as a prank and they really believed it. 

3 hours ago, Scribe said:

Someone on draft posted an interview notification but I don’t feel comfortable doing that yet. This sounds like I should just be happy for the committee that they’re enjoying the application review.

Scribe, 🤣. 💀 

7 minutes ago, Scribe said:

you know what would be horrible, if someone was messing with the poster. like someone called the poster as a prank and they really believed it. 

I have legitimately thought of this repeatedly for myself but I don’t think anyone in my life knows enough to pull this off. “Um this is Iowa and you’re in the… school. For the books”

3 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

I have legitimately thought of this repeatedly for myself but I don’t think anyone in my life knows enough to pull this off. “Um this is Iowa and you’re in the… school. For the books”

i nearly fell off the couch laughing at this. these are very much my people too. Think of brad Pitt in "burn after reading"

Not MFA-related, but a poem of mine has just been accepted for publication by a reputable Irish journal!!! This is my first acceptance this year and I am so deeply pleased. While my focus for MFA is fiction (I have a few novels to write, LOL), poetry is still important to me and I know I will always write it, even if I have to write only for myself. It's always a warm feeling when someone else connects with your words. I'm just glad y'all. :)

May the good news and good feelings continue and spread to us all.

I'm procrastinating real work that I need to do. So I decided to write a little poem about the situation we're all in. Mods delete if not allowed... 

Perched on beds and chairs, aware
Of every passing second, sure
That any moment could arrive
With news attached, that YES or NO
or MAYBE SO... my inbox aches.
Assignments fester, French press breaks.
But in my heart a tiny bead
Of glowing hope, enduring light,
Persists through night and day to sing:
"You're a good writer anyway.
It doesn't matter what they say.
And if you don't get into schools, 
Just know it's them who are the fools!"

Is there anything from UC Irvine on draft? There's a waitlist notification on the gradcafe results, was wondering if that's corroborated. They've always done the waitlist a good couple weeks after acceptance notifications. Maybe people were already accepted and just successfully kept it a secret? (I know Irvine asks them not to say anything.)

2 minutes ago, itsbeensnowing said:

Is there anything from UC Irvine on draft? There's a waitlist notification on the gradcafe results, was wondering if that's corroborated. They've always done the waitlist a good couple weeks after acceptance notifications. Maybe people were already accepted and just successfully kept it a secret? (I know Irvine asks them not to say anything.)

I see one acceptance for UC Davis but nothing for irvine.

I wouldn’t 100% trust singular results posted here without someone else backing it up (either with their own result or responses from the draft group.) Last year’s page had a couple of trolls that posted fake acceptances to freak people out. 

As far as I can see Vandy hasn’t sent responses and we’re still early for Iowa. Iowa will call people individually and then snail mail out rejections—they called 1-2 people a week once they started so it was easy to tell it was official and current students in the group could back up which faculty were making calls. 

(I’m by no means an expert, but this is my second year applying and the trolls haven’t changed at all lol.) Draft admins are mostly current students that are doing this on a volunteer basis, and its clear they’re working super hard to keep everything running. I know the waiting sucks, believe me, but tbh any results from draft filter here pretty quickly. 

10 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

Any day now, Arkansas! 😩

yeah, interesting, last year their round 2 notifications went out end of jan, with actual acceptances hitting end of feb.

I suppose it's possible round 2 already went out, but no one here or in draft got past round 1, but i hope not!

1 hour ago, darr1 said:

Minnesota rejection on the results page - doesn't say fiction or poetry 😖 better hit F5 on that portal again

I only see Oregon having notified today on draft. Where are you seeing this one?

35 minutes ago, epr said:

Where are you seeing this one?

it's on the results board on grad cafe, if you search Minnesota there it should come up. just checked my portal and there's no update, though someone in draft got accepted last Friday so I'm kind of assuming any news from MN going forward will be a rejection (edit: or waitlist!!!)

Edited by girlgenius

I think playwriting is handled by a different set of faculty, so could definitely be that! I know the theater programs have had a lot more movement since more of them do interviews I think. 

36 minutes ago, epr said:

I only see Oregon having notified today on draft. Where are you seeing this one?

Oregon State or University of Oregon? Do you know what genre? I wish they would accept me on Draft 😅

Edited by garfieldlives