2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

3 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

Hey guys, I'm only now submitting my FAFSA. Do you think I've screwed up my chances for funding?

No, the new FAFSA has been a mess and every university is dealing with it. I filled mine out as soon as it opened and I don't think it has even been sent out yet. Grad students often don't even bother filling the FAFSA out in the first place.

21 minutes ago, Valle said:

Oh wow, exactly! I struggled for years to get a permanent job. Then once I got one realized, hold on, am I going to be doing this for the next twenty years of my life. How do you manage to write with a family? I am usually exhausted by the time the kids have gone to bed. 
Also, even if I do an MFA, the question of what comes next is not too far from my mind. I'd have to come back home to Switzerland and then what! You are not suddenly more hirable because you have an MFA. 

Ok so how I write. I give myself SO MUCH grace. Write every day? No fucking way, you mean set myself up to be disappointed and discouraged? But if I have some time between meetings, etc I will try to get 15 min of handwritten fresh content down. Then, on a day with a bigger chunk of time, I can type it up, work on revisions, etc. I also can let myself curl up with a novel and call that writing, too. Pre-kids, I wrote novels and I don’t reeeeally have the time to keep that up at the moment because so much time can pass between writing sessions. I also put a lot of ideas in my notes app on my phone. But yeah, I need time and help. 

I feel like I would so regret not doing this if I get in somewhere so I’m just forging on. Life is short!

1 hour ago, prufrock_ said:

just got the wash u in st lou rejection. :(

Same. :(

I hope I don't have to apply again, but if I do, what will be foremost in my mind when putting together my writing sample and SOP will be: 'How likely is this to stand out and make the top 20 among hundreds of (or even a thousand) applications?' But of course top 20 is still not good enough for MFAs admitting only 3 to 4 people per genre. 

Writing is always subject to individual tastes and there may be other reasons why an applicant is rejected, but I feel like keeping this guiding principle in mind would help one make tougher choices that tighten one's application. 

By the way, congratulations to everyone who was accepted or waitlisted at WUSTL! 

46 minutes ago, Valle said:

Oh wow, exactly! I struggled for years to get a permanent job. Then once I got one realized, hold on, am I going to be doing this for the next twenty years of my life. How do you manage to write with a family? I am usually exhausted by the time the kids have gone to bed. 
Also, even if I do an MFA, the question of what comes next is not too far from my mind. I'd have to come back home to Switzerland and then what! You are not suddenly more hirable because you have an MFA. 

True about the question of what comes next. But I hope that an MFA would also give one more time to think and plan towards that. People who need more time away often say they prefer 3-year MFA programs, while those with more concrete plans typically want a 2-year MFA.

Edited by Chex

4 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

No, the new FAFSA has been a mess and every university is dealing with it. I filled mine out as soon as it opened and I don't think it has even been sent out yet. Grad students often don't even bother filling the FAFSA out in the first place.

Ah, I was hoping something like this was the case. Now I just have to hope I filled it out right!

I also got a WashU rejection this morning (nonfiction and fiction). Bummer. 

For me the MFA isn't about carving out extra time to write. It's more about mentorship opportunities and being part of a community of dedicated, serious writers. I am fortunate to be able to only work part-time, after making a good investment in my 20's. I have had to live extremely thriftily (e.g., I initially got rid of my car), but it's been worth it to have the extra time. All this is to say that there are other ways of finding more time to write besides an MFA program. 

1 minute ago, SarahRuth said:

I also got a WashU rejection this morning (nonfiction and fiction). Bummer. 

For me the MFA isn't about carving out extra time to write. It's more about mentorship opportunities and being part of a community of dedicated, serious writers. I am fortunate to be able to only work part-time, after making a good investment in my 20's. I have had to live extremely thriftily (e.g., I initially got rid of my car), but it's been worth it to have the extra time. All this is to say that there are other ways of finding more time to write besides an MFA program. 

Oh, I love that for you! And you're right, the mentorship and being in community with other writers are priceless gains from a good MFA. I hope we get into programs that nurture and nourish us! 

6 hours ago, Valle said:

Hi everyone, 

I've been lurking on here for a bit and have enjoyed getting to know you. I applied to a couple of schools this round (not many as I'm still unsure if an MFA is right for me). Do most of you want to end up teaching creative writing/English and that's why you are doing an MFA? Or is anyone doing an MFA just so you get a couple of years to write? 

A little context: I'm older than the average MFA student (41) and have a PhD in English lit. I found it very hard to stay in academia as I hadn't published enough scholarly articles. I am now teaching communication at a business school and really hate my job. I have been writing on and off over the past ten years and got a couple of stories published, but find it hard to keep it up with a full-time job, young kids, nobody to read my work, etc. An MFA for me would really be a way to buy time to write and to meet fellow writers. My goal is not to teach creative writing as I live in Switzerland and there is no such tradition here. 

As people in the arts and humanities, we are trained not to think of education as having a transactional value (i.e. where does this get me?). However, the reality is that we still have to think about what it is for, especially if, as in my case, it would require schlepping kids across the world, subsisting on a stipend, remortgaging the house, etc. I realize there is no such thing as an ideal MFA student (or maybe there is...who knows!), but if there is someone here who is, let's say, from a different stage in life, I'd like to hear what made you apply. 

Oh, and congratulations to the ones who got in or are waitlisted. And to the others: hoping you have plenty of exciting projects lined up to take the sting out.

Welcome!! I don't think there's really a "right" reason for pursuing an MFA, but there definitely are a lot of considerations to make, especially when it comes to moving to another country. I'm sure you've already considered the finances, but it bears mentioning that most programs' stipends are just barely enough for one person to live off of, let alone a family. There are also some great creative writing programs in the UK I've heard about if you want to go a little less far, though I can't say I know too much about them.

I do think, for everyone here, that if a writing community is the biggest thing you're looking for out of an MFA, there are other ways to find one that are a lot cheaper and less life-consuming. That aspect is also a draw for me, but I'm fortunate that I've been able to find a really good group of friends to write and swap feedback with. One lives close enough to see in person, and the rest I do regular online writing sessions with at least once a week via Discord. It's worth looking into if there are any local writing communities you can join, like workshop groups that meet at the library or a NaNoWriMo group that continues in the off-season. There are also TONS of online writing communities that cater to every genre and niche you can think of! Of course, not everyone likes being in communities that are solely online, but it is a great option for those who do.

That said, even though I do have a good supportive writing group, I am drawn to the community aspect of MFA programs and being able to expand my circle with people who are on a similar path and serious about writing. The more writers I can interact and learn from, the better! I loved being in undergrad workshops and miss that academic writing environment of mutual learning (and deadlines with consequences to kick my ADHD brain into gear lol). I am aiming to teach as my end goal, so I do kind of need a grad degree, and I also value the literary mentorship and potential publishing connections that an MFA offers. Having the time to dedicate myself solely to writing is also a big benefit, especially as I imagine that writing time will grow harder and harder to find as time goes on. There are a lot of very personal considerations to make for everyone considering an MFA program, and I hope you all follow your hearts and dreams to the best outcome for you ❤️

7 hours ago, Valle said:

... A little context: I'm older than the average MFA student (41) and have a PhD in English lit. I found it very hard to stay in academia as I hadn't published enough scholarly articles. I am now teaching communication at a business school and really hate my job. I have been writing on and off over the past ten years and got a couple of stories published, but find it hard to keep it up with a full-time job, young kids, nobody to read my work, etc. An MFA for me would really be a way to buy time to write and to meet fellow writers. My goal is not to teach creative writing as I live in Switzerland and there is no such tradition here. 

@Valle  I'm 39 and slowly transitioned out of an academic career. I had the publications but did not see myself continuing to pursue my specialty forever. I'm also teaching at a university and considering (as my backup plan) using my tuition waiver to pursue a low-res MFA where I teach (not a highly ranked program). Is that an option for you? I literally took the teaching job there because I knew I could an MFA there. I have a three-and-a-half-year-old stepson, so I know what you mean about being at a different place in life ~age 40. Also, I have little desire to teach creative writing, since I am already teaching and quite happy teaching in my current discipline. 

Edited by SarahRuth

Hug with ppl on this thread.

Got an email from Wusl telling me to check the portal, which I knew it's bad news since I didn't get an interview.

I couldn't log in cuz I forget the password, lol.

Anyone thinks I should spend the time figuring out 'password forgotten' issue to see a 'Unfortunately...' letter....?

1 hour ago, TheGreatLoudini said:

Anyone have any insight on when Notre Dame will notify or if they interview?

Based on stats from previous years, Notre Dame sends out invites for interviews in February, and acceptances as from March. 

7 minutes ago, Kyla2023 said:

Got an email from Wusl telling me to check the portal, which I knew it's bad news since I didn't get an interview.

Anyone thinks I should spend the time figuring out 'password forgotten' issue to see a 'Unfortunately...' letter....?

WUSTL doesn't do interviews. I think it's still worth it to reset your password and see for yourself, even if it's a rejection. 

4 minutes ago, bluebikeyikes said:

I was also rejected from Wash U. (nonfiction) this morning. Trying to hold on to the hope that I will get into somewhere! Good luck everyone!

0A/0W/3R/8P

🫂 Rooting for you! 

1 hour ago, sylviaplathtears said:

Did not receive an email to set phone call from umass (fiction)... I guess I should take that as a rejection 😕

I am wondering the same... although I applied for poetry. Do we know if the people recieving acceptances went through interviews for the TA position? Is it hopeless if we did not?

Edited by untemperedoddity

27 minutes ago, Kyla2023 said:

someone on draft posted they got an acceptance with an email just saying 'check portal' so it's definitely worth it to check!

12 minutes ago, untemperedoddity said:

I am wondering the same... although I applied for poetry. Do we know if the people recieving acceptances went through interviews for the TA position? Is it hopeless if we did not?

There were acceptances for poetry on the 9th. And yes, unfortunately everyone that has received an acceptance did a TA interview. The interviews are part of the process and if the graduate school for TAship recommends you, you get an acceptance. I did the interview but no acceptance 

Edited by sylviaplathtears

28 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

Yes I believe you still need a FAFSA in order to receive your funding

Wait what?!?! Can someone else please confirm this? I attempted to submit one for the few NYC schools I applied to, but I couldn’t get into my account and then remembered that my parents took care of this for me for my undergrad. I don’t have my login details, and if the account has an email on file it’s definitely not my own. I decided to just forget about it because I thought the FAFSA wasn’t necessary for fully funded programs, but if this isn’t the case, I’d probably need to go through the hassle of calling the FAFSA office to confirm my identity to sort this out. I’m estranged from my family and contacting them to get my login details is not an option for me, so I’m low-key panicking right now 😰

2 minutes ago, sunnysequoia said:

Wait what?!?! Can someone else please confirm this? I attempted to submit one for the few NYC schools I applied to, but I couldn’t get into my account and then remembered that my parents took care of this for me for my undergrad. I don’t have my login details, and if the account has an email on file it’s definitely not my own. I decided to just forget about it because I thought the FAFSA wasn’t necessary for fully funded programs, but if this isn’t the case, I’d probably need to go through the hassle of calling the FAFSA office to confirm my identity to sort this out. I’m estranged from my family and contacting them to get my login details is not an option for me, so I’m low-key panicking right now 😰

Yes, that's also my understanding. I think you need to submit the fafsa but I would contact the school if you're doubtful. 

6 minutes ago, sunnysequoia said:

Lol, well I'm glad I posted about it! Yeah, I think it's best to do it just in case. I also applied to only fully funded programs but I'm doing mine later today so you're not alone in not having done it yet. When you call them to try to get your login sorted just remember you've got this, stay persistent, explain what you need, and don't let the robots get to you!

Offhand, the only school I know that labels it as an immediate requirement is Brown—for the rest you should have time to get it figured out! The new FAFSA is really glitchy and bad so delays shouldn’t count against you. I couldn’t remember my password originally, but could use the recovery questions to unlock the account. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly for you!

one FYI and one question, sorta. 

FYU re FAFSA: while i can't comment on private schools, many public universities rely on public funding for their programs. in addition there are often tuition differences with respect to in and out of state residence and occasionally other differences with respect to foreign students. As such these schools often require a FAFSA for tracking and funding (ie: grant writing) purposes of their own as well as governmental and administrative requirements. That said, it's my understanding this gets worked out when/after an offer is made. Assume nothing but I would think most who need a FAFSA filed earlier would note it in the application instructions. 

now for the sorta question. someone on draft reported urbana had 40 applications for poetry. Do you think it is reasonable for a University to release a number just because they were asked? is it possible they are required to?

Delightful update this Monday: I logged in to my ASU portal this morning to check if there had been any movement, as you do, and just saw “We regret we were unable to admit you” as the application status. No other kind of notification, nothing. Just a fun little surprise waiting for me. :) 

First rejection of the season! It stings, but on we go… congratulations to those accepted!

EDIT: Okay, I'm slightly less cranky... about half an hour after I saw the note in the portal I did receive a formal email from Justin and Sally notifying me that I was not accepted. As form rejections go it was considerate. Looks like I just got ahead of them by a few minutes!

Edited by branch