2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

14 minutes ago, Mrs. Fahrenheit said:

Just received word that I'm on the waitlist at Arizona State! First time applicant (four years out of undergrad) and first school I've heard back from so far. Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those who've gotten acceptances/waitlist notifications! 0a/1w/13p

Congratulations! 

1 minute ago, mr. specific said:

Damn. Two rejections today WashU and ASU. Wish everyone would hurry up, though I am incredibly happy that I got the Syracuse acceptance as the first decision of the year and then Indiana waitlist, it makes the rejections sting a little less. 

Bummer about Wash U and ASU. Rejections are inevitable in this thing, even for the most successful applicants. Glad you have some good news already to cushion the effect. A Syracuse acceptance is HUGE. Congratulations are in order! 

Just an update about FAFSA for those not in Draft--the admin said you do not have to fill out the FAFSA if you only intend to go to a fully-funded program.

It might be a good idea to, but it's not necessary.

Congrats to those waitlists/acceptances!:)

Edit: Maybe it is necessary for some schools? Oop. 

Edited by Rixor

41 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Damn. Two rejections today WashU and ASU. Wish everyone would hurry up, though I am incredibly happy that I got the Syracuse acceptance as the first decision of the year and then Indiana waitlist, it makes the rejections sting a little less. 

You got Syracuse, my top one! I guess it goes to show how relative and subjective this process is; if I got into Syracuse, no rejections would sting at all, because i'd already have won.

I keep thinking 'i only need one acceptance'. I'm never going to get into all that I applied for.

Is it common for schools to not send out rejections all at once? I'm staring at the Draft data... Some schools have logged rejections/waitlists/acceptances, but I'm still in limbo with an "in review" application. Though I'm probably just anxious and impatient, I worry this means I messed up my application and accidentally sent it in incomplete or something. 

3 hours ago, Scribe said:

someone on draft reported urbana had 40 applications for poetry. Do you think it is reasonable for a University to release a number just because they were asked? is it possible they are required to?

This can't be the case because some emails say they can't release the numbers, right? I remember seeing one that said "due to the nature of our admissions process we are unable to answer questions..." but maybe that was only regarding the waitlist, not the overall number of applicants?

11 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Is it common for schools to not send out rejections all at once? I'm staring at the Draft data... Some schools have logged rejections/waitlists/acceptances, but I'm still in limbo with an "in review" application. Though I'm probably just anxious and impatient, I worry this means I messed up my application and accidentally sent it in incomplete or something. 

there was a similar question to this in Draft today about JHU. someone emailed and they said not all notifs were out yet. You're probably fine!

4 minutes ago, CLCH said:

Not sure what to make of the fact that I haven't heard from WashU or JHU yet. Anyone else apply in fiction and not hear anything from them?

Word has it that JHU has already sent acceptances and waitlists for fiction, and will be reaching out with rejections in the next few days. (Two people on Draft reported emailing them and getting this response.)

As for Wash U, have you logged into your portal to check for an update? Might be there already, or maybe they haven't sent out all responses and will be reaching out very soon. 

3 minutes ago, CLCH said:

Thanks for the info!

About thirty seconds after I posted I got a waitlist email from WashU. So if anyone else has had silence it might be good news!

That's great, congratulations!! 

1 hour ago, Rixor said:

I was just impatient!! Waitlisted at ASU my beloved alma mater :)

This is a long shot, but did anyone apply to schools in Canada? I was accepted to the University of Guelph, and they said that in order to obtain a study permit, one has to show proof of 20,000 Canadian dollars, which I frankly do not have in my bank account. I know I should have researched all of these before applying to a different country lol, but if I were to consider attending this program, would it be possible to work with them and waive this requirement? 

1A/0W/3R/7P

49 minutes ago, Rixor said:

I was just impatient!! Waitlisted at ASU my beloved alma mater :)

Rixor!!! Wow. Super proud and happy for you! I remember mere weeks ago when you were so worried you wouldn't get in anywhere. Look at you now! Having a great application season. Really hoping this waitlist turns into an acceptance for you! 

Congratulations to everyone getting accepted and waitlisted, and fingers crossed for those still waiting! 

6 hours ago, Scribe said:

one FYI and one question, sorta. 

FYU re FAFSA: while i can't comment on private schools, many public universities rely on public funding for their programs. in addition there are often tuition differences with respect to in and out of state residence and occasionally other differences with respect to foreign students. As such these schools often require a FAFSA for tracking and funding (ie: grant writing) purposes of their own as well as governmental and administrative requirements. That said, it's my understanding this gets worked out when/after an offer is made. Assume nothing but I would think most who need a FAFSA filed earlier would note it in the application instructions. 

now for the sorta question. someone on draft reported urbana had 40 applications for poetry. Do you think it is reasonable for a University to release a number just because they were asked? is it possible they are required to?

Is this UIUC we're talking about? Only 40 applicants? Wow that sounds a bit insane to me (or I'm being petty because that number just made that rejection a bit harder to process lol).

Does anyone know if U Pitt poetry interview requests (or results) have been sent out? 

Also, this is maybe a dumb question, but is it expected that we reply to waitlist emails? I am on the IU Bloomington waitlist for poetry, and I didn't reply . . . but now I am wondering if I should have at least replied to express my interest in the program or something? 

Edited by eeeeeek

1 hour ago, bluebikeyikes said:

This is a long shot, but did anyone apply to schools in Canada? I was accepted to the University of Guelph, and they said that in order to obtain a study permit, one has to show proof of 20,000 Canadian dollars, which I frankly do not have in my bank account. I know I should have researched all of these before applying to a different country lol, but if I were to consider attending this program, would it be possible to work with them and waive this requirement? 

1A/0W/3R/7P

hey! im canadian and also just got accepted to guelph. congrats on your acceptance!

the new financial requirements suck 😕 but it looks like you dont have to have 20k straight up -- guelph offers every applicant a bit of funding so you can provide the letter they send you detailing funding, you can also have a family member sign a letter saying theyre willing to support you. i dont know if its possible to get it waived completely, but it would have to be through the ircc and not uoguelph. heres more info about the requirements

canisia lubrin is so cool though it would be amazing to study with her!! and i know a lot of prominent canadian writers have come out of guelphs mfa program. i really hope the study permit requirements dont stop you if you do end up choosing guelph!

4 hours ago, mr. specific said:

What genre?? I was accepted to Syracuse for poetry and I've been waiting to hear about other acceptances!!

4 hours ago, Rixor said:

Just an update about FAFSA for those not in Draft--the admin said you do not have to fill out the FAFSA if you only intend to go to a fully-funded program.

It might be a good idea to, but it's not necessary.

Congrats to those waitlists/acceptances!:)

Edit: Maybe it is necessary for some schools? Oop. 

Ugh ok I'm out of town this week and don't have the time to sort out this FAFSA situation... I'll deal with it when I get back LOL.

I received an email from Washington University in St. Louis that I'm on their waitlist?! I'm honestly in disbelief. My results so far have wildly surpassed my expectations omg.

8 hours ago, prufrock_ said:

someone on draft posted they got an acceptance with an email just saying 'check portal' so it's definitely worth it to check!

Thanks @prufrock_ It's one more rejection after Northwestern, but I felt your positive energy balance out my negative 

9 hours ago, Chex said:

Based on stats from previous years, Notre Dame sends out invites for interviews in February, and acceptances as from March. 

WUSTL doesn't do interviews. I think it's still worth it to reset your password and see for yourself, even if it's a rejection. 

🫂 Rooting for you! 

@ChexLove your response. I got one more rejection after Northwestern but somehow felt alright cuz ppl's kindness and empathy ❤️ 

1 hour ago, AngusWanderer said:

Congratulations to everyone getting accepted and waitlisted, and fingers crossed for those still waiting! 

Is this UIUC we're talking about? Only 40 applicants? Wow that sounds a bit insane to me (or I'm being petty because that number just made that rejection a bit harder to process lol).

Yeah. I would think so. But I also know there’s about a dozen on the waitlist for four slots at Bloomington. I’ve seen none for uiuc. So what does that mean?