2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

2 hours ago, airlinefood_enjoyer said:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on here for a bit, but this is my first post. Congrats to everyone who's been getting those sweet sweet acceptance calls/emails and good luck to all those still waiting!

I just got an email from Notre Dame to set up an interview. The director of the program said they had a shortlist of ten from over 200 applicants. This is great news and I'm obviously stoked! Also a big confidence booster after my valentines present (rejection email) from JHU, lol. 

I know Notre Dame is one of the few programs that does interviews-- have any of you ever been in an MFA interview and do you have any idea what sort of questions/vibes I can expect?

I'm a first time fiction applicant, so far I've got 0a/2w/1i/2r/8p

Hi, that's so exciting! I'm a fourth time fiction applicant (Notre Dame is the only school I applied to this year), and I was just wondering if you knew whether the director had said all the emails had gone out for interviews? I haven't received anything yet, and I don't want to give up hope (but also want to be realistic--this is my fourth year in a row applying, ha!). 

Congrats, and I'm very excited for you. :) Keep us posted on when/how the interview goes!

13 minutes ago, eternalwhitenights said:

Hi, that's so exciting! I'm a fourth time fiction applicant (Notre Dame is the only school I applied to this year), and I was just wondering if you knew whether the director had said all the emails had gone out for interviews? I haven't received anything yet, and I don't want to give up hope (but also want to be realistic--this is my fourth year in a row applying, ha!). 

Congrats, and I'm very excited for you. :) Keep us posted on when/how the interview goes!

Thank you!! I'm nervous but very excited.

He didn't exactly say in the email, but all the prose interview slots are on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of next week. I don't think being contacted on a weekend (or a holiday like President's Day) is completely unheard of, but to be 100% honest I wouldn't count on it. Sorry I can't give you better or more certain news.

Fiction waitlists at OregonSU have gone out (or, at least, are starting to)! 150 applicants in fiction for four spots. Hoping everyone else hears some good news!! 

4 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Fiction waitlists at OregonSU have gone out (or, at least, are starting to)! 150 applicants in fiction for four spots. Hoping everyone else hears some good news!! 

Hey, just noticed your sig. Are you DONE?!

18 minutes ago, airlinefood_enjoyer said:

Thank you!! I'm nervous but very excited.

He didn't exactly say in the email, but all the prose interview slots are on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of next week. I don't think being contacted on a weekend (or a holiday like President's Day) is completely unheard of, but to be 100% honest I wouldn't count on it. Sorry I can't give you better or more certain news.

Oh, of course! I appreciate the info--that's actually the most I've ever learned about their interview process! Thanks so much for letting me know, and congratulations again on getting it! I really hope it goes well for you--it's a great program overall. :)

First time applicant here.. anyone know anything about American Uni in DC? I got accepted but can't find much info online beyond their website. Also, they said they'd email me the financial info (my package info) but I never received it. How long do these things usually take?

31 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Hey, just noticed your sig. Are you DONE?!

Ahh, I sure hope not!! My "5 pending" includes schools like USF where I'm practically rejected, but just haven't gotten the notification yet. 

6 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Ahh, I sure hope not!! My "5 pending" includes schools like USF where I'm practically rejected, but just haven't gotten the notification yet. 

here's how dumb I am, I thought p was for possible. I also didn't realize we were supposed to update "p" as we heard back. 

off to edit. 

I got into NYU😲

I missed a call from Deborah Landau because it was in the middle of the night for me, but she sent me a congratulatory email setting up a call for later (also I'm not on draft). Happy but also anxious in terms of the funding. I don't think I'll go there unless it's fully funded. 

47 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Congrats! It looks like Oregon State accepts and waitlists must be out now. I need the poetry people out there to step it up and post their results lol

Just now, AngusWanderer said:

I got into NYU😲

I missed a call from Deborah Landau because it was in the middle of the night for me, but she sent me a congratulatory email setting up a call for later (also I'm not on draft). Happy but also anxious in terms of the funding. I don't think I'll go there unless it's fully funded. 

Huge congrats! Let yourself wallow in validation even if it's not fully funded! You did that!

5 minutes ago, Scribe said:

here's how dumb I am, I thought p was for possible. I also didn't realize we were supposed to update "p" as we heard back. 

off to edit. 

It is very possible that I'm being dumb instead! I just assumed "p" was for pending, I'm not totally sure.

3 minutes ago, AngusWanderer said:

I got into NYU😲

Wow--congratulations! That's massive!!

2 minutes ago, ssuunn said:

Congrats! It looks like Oregon State accepts and waitlists must be out now. I need the poetry people out there to step it up and post their results lol

Thank you!! I hope there's some information out there soon!

9 minutes ago, AngusWanderer said:

I got into NYU😲

Amazeballs. 

I have a good feeling about your funding. It seems a pretty early acceptance for them and the interview indicates there's something they want to talk about. 

Hi all. Been scrolling through the thread for a couple days now and I just decided to sign up. 😕

I applied to a lot of schools with a speculative fiction writing piece (it's the only genre I'm able to write in) and so far all I've been getting are rejects haha. Can't help but wonder if it was one of the worst life decisions I made.

Anyway, congrats to all who got the good news.

5 minutes ago, messindistress said:

Hi all. Been scrolling through the thread for a couple days now and I just decided to sign up. 😕

I applied to a lot of schools with a speculative fiction writing piece (it's the only genre I'm able to write in) and so far all I've been getting are rejects haha. Can't help but wonder if it was one of the worst life decisions I made.

Hey, I just wanna say, as a spec fic and sci fi lover, but someone who's never been able to write it, I'm impressed with you just for being able to finish a piece! I would love to be able to write spec fic! Keep improving and you'll make it where you're meant to be :)

2 minutes ago, messindistress said:

I haven’t gotten any As yet and I’ve been questioning my writing sample left and right, wondering what I could have changed to make it stronger or more attractive to mfa programs; I think it’s hard not to. My piece is spec-fic-adjacent and I mentioned an interest in speculative fiction in my SoPs, and I keep wondering if that might have hurt my chances. But at the end of the day, that’s where my heart lies and it’s what I want to write, and any program that isn’t willing to meet me where I’m at in that respect just wouldn’t be a good fit. Here’s hoping both of us see some better luck in the coming days and weeks!

31 minutes ago, AngusWanderer said:

I got into NYU😲

CONGRATS!! :DDefinitely a good sign for funding that you've been contacted this early, wishing you a full package! 🙏

Guess that confirms our earlier wonderings about NYU lol, nice that they're starting earlier than last year. Hoping all us hopefuls get good news! 🙏

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

anybody else here waitlist at USF? I have a question about the email I don't want to ask on Draft.

Feel free to message me, I also got waitlisted at USF!

Hi, I'm new here. So far one rejection and one waitlist at UWM for fiction. I was informed I'm at the top of the waitlist, so what's the likelihood I can actually secure a spot for myself? Any waitlist success stories?

edit: need to clarify! I am one of the applicants at the top of the waitlist. No idea who is before or after me 

Edited by iamreallyabigskeletonirl

Hey all -- I'm another who has been lurking and finally decided to make an account.

I've been waitlisted for UBC, which is the only program I applied for (many personal reasons which I won't go into just now). If anyone who has been accepted there ends up going with a different school as their top choice instead, you will have my whole heart! 😭

2 minutes ago, iamreallyabigskeletonirl said:

Hi, I'm new here. So far one rejection and one waitlist at UWM for fiction. I was informed I'm at the top of the waitlist, so what's the likelihood I can actually secure a spot for myself? Any waitlist success stories?

Oh, so you’re lucky number one! Congrats! I’m on there too but they only notify the next in line (unless by M you mean Milwaukee, haha)

5 minutes ago, 3feetofsnow said:

Oh, so you’re lucky number one! Congrats! I’m on there too but they only notify the next in line (unless by M you mean Milwaukee, haha)

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am one of the applicants at the top of the waitlist but I'm not sure how many others are waitlisted alongside me. I hope by one of the students I'm only one or two applicants behind lol