2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

41 minutes ago, prufrock_ said:

Just got my Syracuse rejection. This one hurts!!! We have a little cry and move on. 

I still have more pending than I have rejections, so I haven't lost hope! Once the rejections outweigh the pending (and assuming no acceptances) then i'll start spiraling, i'm sure.

35 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

Me too! While I'm glad not to be in limbo, all of these rejections hitting me all at once isn't a great feeling either. I've been crying so much recently and I'm not sure what to do with myself anymore at this point. I guess it is what it is, we'll just have to pick up the pieces and life goes on. 

25 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Yeah, I got an email today that lists all admits in fiction and poetry, so Syracuse is done.

10 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

This is super rough... sending solidarity to everyone who got rejections! Tbh I wish I could just get my Syracuse, Michener, and Michigan rejections right now to help me move forward. Not having that closure yet but still having to mourn is hard

6 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Same.  So people got Michener rejections already? I still haven't received rejections from Michener, Vanderbilt, or UMass Amherst. If it's not happening I want to cross them off the list.

All this. 
except for the Michener, Vandy, and Michigan hard r’s. They don’t think I’m worth the update. 

3 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Same.  So people got Michener rejections already? I still haven't received rejections from Michener, Vanderbilt, or UMass Amherst. If it's not happening I want to cross them off the list.

Nope, no Michener rejections yet, we just know that poetry and fiction a/w are both out based on Draft. I believe Vandy hasn't sent rejections either. I wonder why they do it this way, rather than all at once. 

@triciadawnOmg, this is great! I know you were feeling discouraged after Umich, but look at you now!! hoping it works out finance-wise. 

4 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

Got into Minnesota State Mankato for fiction! No word on funding yet, but I’m SO EXCITED! 

1a/0w/3r/8p

Congratulations!!! I'm excited for you and hope everything works out re funding! You absolutely deserve this. Also, one of my favourite writers, Lesley Nneka Arimah, went to MS Mankato for her MFA in fiction; so double yay for you! 

4 minutes ago, mr. specific said:

Official rejections from Michener usually come 1 to 2 weeks after the acceptances and waitlists have gone out. Same for Vandy. In some years, Michener rejections appear in the application portal before any form email. If you haven't received an acceptance or waitlist by now, I'm afraid it's most likely a rejection. 

Congrats to the recent victories 😊 I always get a flash of envy when it comes to these things but it’s hard to last long when I see how excited y’all get. Truly an endearing sort of joy that is nice to see and sense. 

meanwhile I have yet to hear from UCI or Iowa but it’s cool it’s cool 😩😩 the news will come when it comes and I can’t do anything to control ittt aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

1 hour ago, jadedoptimist said:

Oh my god guys. Oh my god. I'm on the Syracuse waitlist!!!!!!!!!

Listen, you're making it into at least one of these programs! Congratulations!!! 

11 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Groom all your email folders people. I’m waitlisted at UTK!

Yay!!! Congratulations! 

Also got waitlisted at Tennessee. It's a huge relief to get that for me. At least now I can tell myself that I'm not wholly inadequate.

Anyone have any idea how big the waitlist is? I saw someone say that last year the waitlist was over 80(!) people, which is insane (and tempers my excitement just a bit).

0a/1w/11r/5p

Edited by Southron

2 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

was anyone else confused why he was hedging whether he got in?

It read to me (through a screen and without knowing the person) like it might not have been a top choice for the person. Like a sort of whatever attitude. 

I'm out of reactions, but congratulations to all of you with good news to share!!!!! I'm so happy for you all!! And I hope some of those w's turn into a's for everyone:) 

Everyone struggling with uncertainty--I wish I had something worthwhile to say. I'm holding out hope that you all hear good news soon. This process is difficult--both on our wallets and our psyches. Many of us spent hundreds on application fees alone. Everyone here seems so kind and talented; I'm hoping we all get into programs this cycle, if only to spare us from doing this process again in the future.  

Since learning there's a possibility my 'a' program might be cancelled, I've been thinking a lot about how to cope if I have to go through a cycle again next year (and maybe the year after that... And after that...)... Upon research, it seems like a lot of excellent writers--many of whom are authors/professors/etc--were rejected across the board the first time around. It's just that so much about the recruitment process is up purely to chance. I have no doubt that every person here would thrive in an MFA program. 

I keep telling myself that, if I do have to go another cycle, I'll be coming out of this with experience, drive, and connections. I now know about new programs to apply for. I now know not to accidentally apply for unfunded programs. I now know talented, skilled, kind people like you all who I could probably bug to read over my SOP and sample. I've got a plan lined out to submit more, write more, etc.

I'm really, really hoping none of us have to go through this process again--because clearly, it is rough--but I think that, if we have to, we'll all be in a really good spot. 

I'm really hoping the best for everyone.