2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

12 minutes ago, BlueJayBird said:

Huh, it looks like they did! Maybe I should inquire about that.

Yeah maybe. I don’t know how enforceable it is but let us know what you find out. 

2 hours ago, jadedoptimist said:

The weekend is an endless gulf between me and more news. Which I seek, like an anteater seeks ants, or, like, a vacuum. I'm not a good writer right now. Let's have a weekend thread! Distraction!

What is everyone doing this weekend? 

- I'll probably go for a walk in the woods to try to disconnect for at least 30 minutes. (Don't laugh).

It's my birthday tomorrow 😀 I'm getting lunch and going hiking with my friends to celebrate!

Edited by sunnysequoia

2 hours ago, jadedoptimist said:

Yes, I am! I believe many are. At least one of the reported rejections on the spreadsheet came from someone with a B-name... so I'm thinking they're slowly going through and sending out rejections.

Edited by purplestarfish

4 hours ago, Rixor said:

Going to ramble a bit. I'm a first-gen student so my family doesn't understand, and I don't really know anyone else who understands this process. I'll throw it up here in hopes of feeling better. 

I got so, so excited about my first acceptance!! Started reseaching the city, daydreaming about it, reading the work of the professors... And then I found out (I don't know the whole story) that the program is at-risk of being cancelled. News articles about the uni say that the admin has been acting a little unfavorable so even if the CW faculty is amazing, I'm bracing myself for cancellation.  

My second acceptance is to a wonderful school that I toured for undergrad, but I don't know if I'll get funding. I checked the box on my application that said "I cannot attend without funding" and got an acceptance anyways, so I'm hoping that's the case, but knowing that another admitted student on this forum got a TA-ship offer the day after their letter makes me think they might've passed me up. (I'm so happy for you, by the way!! Not trying to detract from your accomplishment!) When I emailed, they told me I'll know within the next few weeks.

So, that leaves me with three waitlists. I'm extremely grateful for them, but they're also so vague that it's scary. I've got two programs I'm accepted into, but might not be able to attend. It also leaves me with one hard rejection, two soft rejections (Boise and USF), and only two left pending: Las Vegas, and UDub. I keep overthinking my application for the second one in particular. One of my short stories took place in Seattle, and in my SOP I wrote about how much I adore the city. That's entirely honest--I really do love the city, the multiculturalism, its history, its unique ecology, the people I met when I did volunteerwork there--but I keep thinking, man. It's honest, but that's probably not what they're looking for! I probably come across as a total, like... 'Seattle-weeaboo.' I do admire the CW faculty and their work, but to my knowledge, it's a bad idea to single out professors' work because it can make the professors you don't include feel a little bummed out. And I'd've been lying if I had said I was familiar with all of the professors' works. 

But yeah. Back in limbo. This process is tough and I can't help but dread checking the spreadsheet in case UNLV and UW-S notices go out without me getting one.

The position you're been put in is truly a hard one. I wish the school has been more professional instead of leaving you in such limbo and uncertainty, that's not fair of them. But I just wanted to say, waitlists are good news in some capacity. It could turn into an acceptance sure, but also, it means that you're doing something right with these schools and your apps, so it's only a matter of time before it works out. I can't imagine how hard it must be, especially as first-gen, I'm really proud of you for applying because this process really isn't for the faint of heart. 

If you love something, write about it. Writers write because it's how they communicate, not just with the world, but with themselves. So don't deny yourself the joy of writing about Seattle. I was smiling just now, reading what you briefly wrote on it, I hope for the remaining schools, the people reading your sample not just find your love for Seattle, but they recognise that you can write about love so beautifully through a city. This reminded me a little bit of Lady Bird and Sacramento, so you totally do not come across as a Seattle-weeaboo, just as someone who loves a place very much. Love is good for writing.

About the professors stuff, I've had my worries with that and so many others have also and this is what I've seen people say (also Jess on draft say): there is no one shoe fits the size answer for this. People who have singled out professors have been accepted plenty and people who haven't singled-out anyone have also been accepted. I think professors understand that you cannot be familiar with all of their work, that you applying to the schools you do is after considering a multitude of factors. At the end of the day, it's all about your writing sample, if they love that, they will overlook things on the sop (unless you've somehow glaringly shown them you can't work with other people or other such red flags). Also, at this point in the cycle, there's no point in beating yourself up about it, what's done is done. So try to be more easy on yourself. I'm not first-gen, but I'm doing a lot of firsts in my family, hell my parents were the first to learn the English language in their families, so the kind of support system and opportunities we've had, are incredibly different from say, the average white person applying. Often, we only can only see how we've failed, so I'll tell you how you've succeeded because this is how I see you Rixor. The odds are already skewed, so there's only so much you can do by learning from other resources and I see someone who fought hard against those odds. You're brave and strong and fierce, thank you for applying this cycle, it's been great to have you on the forum too! So really, don't be too hard on yourself, life really is just a learning curve all by itself. 

Ultimately, I know nothing can be more comforting than an acceptance and I'm going to hope really hard one of the remaining schools come through for you. But as we've all been talking about before, your worth as a writer is not defined by the mfa, so keep writing about the things you want to! 

31 minutes ago, saramsarang said:

The position you're been put in is truly a hard one. I wish the school has been more professional instead of leaving you in such limbo and uncertainty, that's not fair of them. But I just wanted to say, waitlists are good news in some capacity. It could turn into an acceptance sure, but also, it means that you're doing something right with these schools and your apps, so it's only a matter of time before it works out. I can't imagine how hard it must be, especially as first-gen, I'm really proud of you for applying because this process really isn't for the faint of heart. 

If you love something, write about it. Writers write because it's how they communicate, not just with the world, but with themselves. So don't deny yourself the joy of writing about Seattle. I was smiling just now, reading what you briefly wrote on it, I hope for the remaining schools, the people reading your sample not just find your love for Seattle, but they recognise that you can write about love so beautifully through a city. This reminded me a little bit of Lady Bird and Sacramento, so you totally do not come across as a Seattle-weeaboo, just as someone who loves a place very much. Love is good for writing.

About the professors stuff, I've had my worries with that and so many others have also and this is what I've seen people say (also Jess on draft say): there is no one shoe fits the size answer for this. People who have singled out professors have been accepted plenty and people who haven't singled-out anyone have also been accepted. I think professors understand that you cannot be familiar with all of their work, that you applying to the schools you do is after considering a multitude of factors. At the end of the day, it's all about your writing sample, if they love that, they will overlook things on the sop (unless you've somehow glaringly shown them you can't work with other people or other such red flags). Also, at this point in the cycle, there's no point in beating yourself up about it, what's done is done. So try to be more easy on yourself. I'm not first-gen, but I'm doing a lot of firsts in my family, hell my parents were the first to learn the English language in their families, so the kind of support system and opportunities we've had, are incredibly different from say, the average white person applying. Often, we only can only see how we've failed, so I'll tell you how you've succeeded because this is how I see you Rixor. The odds are already skewed, so there's only so much you can do by learning from other resources and I see someone who fought hard against those odds. You're brave and strong and fierce, thank you for applying this cycle, it's been great to have you on the forum too! So really, don't be too hard on yourself, life really is just a learning curve all by itself. 

Ultimately, I know nothing can be more comforting than an acceptance and I'm going to hope really hard one of the remaining schools come through for you. But as we've all been talking about before, your worth as a writer is not defined by the mfa, so keep writing about the things you want to! 

Wow--this is such an unexpected response! So kind and so well-written! Thank you so, so much. And I appreciate the reassurance, too.

For the record, the faculty at the one school has been extremely kind and gracious--it was an unforeseen circumstance that led to the possibility of it being cancelled. I just don't want to misrepresent them--they're great.

I'm extremely proud of you, too. It's remarkable that you're doing so many 'firsts' and I think it's really, really admirable that you're a successful writer-and soon MFA student, especially when neither of your parents spoke English as their first languages. You're absolutely right that a lot of applicants have support systems that we might not. All we can do is give it our all (and, we already did!) and keep writing.

Thank you for applying, too.  It's been wonderful reading your posts here and it's been even better having a conversation with you:) 

1 hour ago, saramsarang said:

Ahhh happy birthday!! I hope you have a great day, and if you hear back from any school, they come bearing good news. 

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes! 🥰 I have a fantasy that one of my remaining programs that wants to accept me noticed that tomorrow is my birthday and decided that they would pleasantly surprise me with a call tomorrow saying, "Happy birthday, you've been accepted!!" Probably won't happen but I can still wish for it LOL

13 hours ago, AngusWanderer said:

Someone I know was offered a place last year. Iowa emailed them to arrange a Zoom call. 

Also, just received an interview invitation from Notre Dame🥲 

So I literally just got this email from Director Chang (I live in Taiwan). I'm breathless. Not an official acceptance yet but I can't imagine she would offer to set up a zoom call over a rejection or waitlist?

3 hours ago, sunnysequoia said:

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes! 🥰 I have a fantasy that one of my remaining programs that wants to accept me noticed that tomorrow is my birthday and decided that they would pleasantly surprise me with a call tomorrow saying, "Happy birthday, you've been accepted!!" Probably won't happen but I can still wish for it LOL

Happy Birthday! 🎉🎊

2 hours ago, littlealien said:

Anyone know when Iowa creative nonfiction decisions come out?

Someone I know who goes there got their admission in March. That was in 2022. So I'd say early to mid March. 

2 hours ago, InfernalDesireMachines said:

So I literally just got this email from Director Chang (I live in Taiwan). I'm breathless. Not an official acceptance yet but I can't imagine she would offer to set up a zoom call over a rejection or waitlist?

Congratulations in advance! Expect an acceptance. :)

3 hours ago, Chex said:

Happy Birthday! 🎉🎊

Someone I know who goes there got their admission in March. That was in 2022. So I'd say early to mid March. 

Congratulations in advance! Expect an acceptance. :)

55 minutes ago, AngusWanderer said:

Congratulations! That's great news! 

Thanks! I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. The words "You're accepted!" haven't been said yet. 

7 minutes ago, jadedoptimist said:

Omg, I really wish I was this organized!!

Idk if you need to be that organized for the MFA applications, but it is imperative to get a spreadsheet going for your submissions to publications if you haven't already! I made a decent one that automatically calculates the acceptance percentage.

17 hours ago, jadedoptimist said:

The weekend is an endless gulf between me and more news. Which I seek, like an anteater seeks ants, or, like, a vacuum. I'm not a good writer right now. Let's have a weekend thread! Distraction!

What is everyone doing this weekend? 

- I'll probably go for a walk in the woods to try to disconnect for at least 30 minutes. (Don't laugh).

a walk in the woods would be so nice. i’d go to the beach and read, but since its the weekend, it’ll be crowded. 

because of my poetry fried brain, i actually have been brainstorming and writing fiction for the first time since undergrad workshops. i think i’ll spend this weekend holed away and seeing where it could go. it’ll be better than doomscrolling and anxiously mulling over my what-could-have-been soft rejections. 

I’m waiting on four more fully funded programs: Iowa, Boston, UNCG, and Arkansas. I think Iowa is a wash and the other 3 aren’t my top choices. 

After my call with Minnesota State Mankato, I don’t think it’ll be a good fit. I’m really grateful for the opportunity, but I don’t want to take a spot away from someone else who really wants to go there. As a black woman I don’t want to live in a lot of these areas for an MFA unless it’s Iowa or similar. 

i don’t really know what I’m asking, but it’s not looking good. 

12 minutes ago, triciadawn said:

I’m waiting on four more fully funded programs: Iowa, Boston, UNCG, and Arkansas. I think Iowa is a wash and the other 3 aren’t my top choices. 

After my call with Minnesota State Mankato, I don’t think it’ll be a good fit. I’m really grateful for the opportunity, but I don’t want to take a spot away from someone else who really wants to go there. As a black woman I don’t want to live in a lot of these areas for an MFA unless it’s Iowa or similar. 

i don’t really know what I’m asking, but it’s not looking good. 

Omg, I’m a Black woman too! I totally get not wanting to be in certain areas, which is why I applied to schools mostly on the East Coast. That’s not going so hot atm. I’m still waiting on schools too. If there’s a next cycle for me, I might have to expand my scope.

5 minutes ago, TPike said:

Omg, I’m a Black woman too! I totally get not wanting to be in certain areas, which is why I applied to schools mostly on the East Coast. That’s not going so hot atm. I’m still waiting on schools too. If there’s a next cycle for me, I might have to expand my scope.

Yes!!! The other four schools I’m waiting on are NYC schools. I might have to do low-res next cycle because I can’t commit to certain areas.