2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

I was just wondering, for anyone that knows that they got into round 2 for Arkansas, were you notified via email from the school at all? Or did you have to fill out an application? I never reached out to my recommenders so that school has just been an unknown for me. 

1 hour ago, GoldenTree said:

I was just wondering, for anyone that knows that they got into round 2 for Arkansas, were you notified via email from the school at all? Or did you have to fill out an application? I never reached out to my recommenders so that school has just been an unknown for me. 

My recommenders got an email from them asking for letters for Round 2 but I personally haven't received any direct communication from the school. Don't know if anyone else heard directly from them! 

12 hours ago, Scribe said:

I almost certainly will not be applying again. BUT if I do, just in case, I'm working on a list of rules. 

1. 2 year programs only. I was willing to do three, so if i go again I'm going to only do two and not lose time. 

2. I will do more research and look at more than just fully funded programs. I now realize there are many programs that are very likely fully funded. 

3. I will consider access to home more. I did this year but still went for schools that reduced my ability to be home every weekend. 

4. I'll sell myself a little less and my writing goals a little more. 

I'm totally open to - nay, I'm shamelessly soliciting - any advice or criticism from the peanut gallery. 

I'm in almost exactly the same boat! Curious about which places you've come across that are likely fully funded but don't show up on the typical lists? 

4 hours ago, spluots said:

I'm in almost exactly the same boat! Curious about which places you've come across that are likely fully funded but don't show up on the typical lists? 

I think probably they mean places that fund most or all of their students when they can but can’t guarantee funding to every accepted applicant.

4 hours ago, spluots said:

What I should have said was “schools that are likely to offer full funding”. I was under the impression that if a school wasn’t on the list, it would be next to impossible to go. At a pretty late stage I had one Professor tell me to apply the NYU because they have a lot of money and often give it away. Another told me Columbia wouldn’t offer full funding but a free ride was quite possible. On my own I discovered that hunter’s a free ride with a likely possibility of a ta or ra spot. then I watched people here or on draft get offers from schools that weren’t on my radar.

maybe someone should make a list. 

All right, I have been officially accepted into Iowa! There were over 900 applicants this year, apparently, which makes me feel insane that I'd be picked. Especially considering I'd been batting 6/6 rejections, plus one soft rejection. Technically I haven't heard back from Brown or UVA yet but I plan to accept Iowa's offer.

1 minute ago, InfernalDesireMachines said:

All right, I have been officially accepted into Iowa! There were over 900 applicants this year, apparently, which makes me feel insane that I'd be picked. Especially considering I'd been batting 6/6 rejections, plus one soft rejection. Technically I haven't heard back from Brown or UVA yet but I plan to accept Iowa's offer.

Congratulations. That's very exciting. The closed doors must make the open one all the sweeter.

3 minutes ago, InfernalDesireMachines said:

Congratulations! This is wonderful news.

In other news, I need Vanderbilt and Michener to put me out of my misery. It's been long enough. They can just let us know it didn't work out. No need dragging things further. 

Also, I'm beyond ready to hear from all the remaining schools. HIT ME WITH IT. I PROMISE I CAN TAKE IT. 

31 minutes ago, InfernalDesireMachines said:

Congratulations! 

Did she mention anything about what made your application stand out? What they're looking for? 

35 minutes ago, InfernalDesireMachines said:

Absolutely wonderful news!! You must feel amazing after 6 rejections to get into the flagship creative writing program. Congratulations!!! 

37 minutes ago, InfernalDesireMachines said:

Huge congrats. Did she mention how much of the class has been filled out already?

3 minutes ago, Chex said:

Congratulations! This is wonderful news.

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Karmazinov said:

Congratulations. That's very exciting. The closed doors must make the open one all the sweeter.

For sure! I was starting to think this year was a wash--I was starting to think about what I should change for my second year applying. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore!

1 hour ago, InfernalDesireMachines said:

Fantastic. Congratulations!

57 minutes ago, Hjanep said:

Huge congrats. Did she mention how much of the class has been filled out already?

I didn't get a clear sense of how far along they were in notifying people; my intuition is that they aren't too far along yet. Only three  people (including me) have said anything on MFA draft, which doesn't seem like a lot for a class of 25.

30 minutes ago, InfernalDesireMachines said:

I didn't get a clear sense of how far along they were in notifying people; my intuition is that they aren't too far along yet. Only three  people (including me) have said anything on MFA draft, which doesn't seem like a lot for a class of 25.

This will do wonders for my anxiety.