2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

I don't know if 'theo' or 'getty' from the draft spreadsheet are here, but they're a great example of what we're always talking about: they have many rejections -- and then an Iowa acceptance! I love this roller coaster of admissions, it's so cool we crowd source all this information and can follow along.

(also, grats if yall are here!)

8 minutes ago, foundress of nothing said:

Michener accepted 4 this year from 450 applicants (just fiction, saw that stat from "alethewriter" on tiktok) not sure about the other genres!

thank you! do you know how many of the poetry acceptances are out? I have only seen one waitlist on Draft for poetry and the rest of the notifications have been rejections. 

Hi ! I've been lurking for a while and just wanted to say I love the discourse here and all of the positive energy. Truly so exciting and comforting to see the supportive environment being created, even before people head off to their respective programs!

I'm not on FB so don't have access to Draft, but was wondering if anyone had seen any movement with UC Irvine? I haven't seen anything here, but I'm hoping they didn't send acceptances out and I missed it...

TIA!

5 minutes ago, sylviaplathtears said:

I believe Umass acceptances and waitlists have gone out but I don't think there's been any movement on the over two

4 minutes ago, aurqcyei said:

If you're talking about Amherst, they should be done notifying for fiction. I was called a few weeks ago, along with a few others from what I can see on the Draft. I think a previous post indicated Brown might be next week if playwrighting and the other genres come out at the same time.

ahhh. thank you.  😒

I mean UMass Boston actually.  Just assuming rejections anyway

11 minutes ago, aurqcyei said:

If you're talking about Amherst, they should be done notifying for fiction. I was called a few weeks ago, along with a few others from what I can see on the Draft spreadsheet. I think a previous post indicated Brown might be next week if playwrighting and the other genres come out at the same time.

Do you know how many people were admitted for fiction? 

1 hour ago, Rixor said:

I haven't. I've been counting it as a 'soft rejection,' but I really haven't heard anything about it anywhere. 

Actually now that you mention it, previous years' results on Gradcafe show that a lot of people doing fiction seem to get notified ridiculously late, all the way in April.  

Any reason why you’re counting it as a soft rejection? And yeah, I figured that was the case, just didn’t know if I should be worried.

7 minutes ago, soupfanaccount said:

Hi ! I've been lurking for a while and just wanted to say I love the discourse here and all of the positive energy. Truly so exciting and comforting to see the supportive environment being created, even before people head off to their respective programs!

I'm not on FB so don't have access to Draft, but was wondering if anyone had seen any movement with UC Irvine? I haven't seen anything here, but I'm hoping they didn't send acceptances out and I missed it...

TIA!

They have at least started sending out acceptances in poetry, nothing in any other genre yet.

9 minutes ago, sylviaplathtears said:

Do you know how many people were admitted for fiction? 

I didn't ask (probably should have). I just assumed that it was 10 based on the admissions website, but when I was connected with current students, they told me that the cohort size was less one year? I think it varies. 

10 minutes ago, soupfanaccount said:

TIA!

UC Irvine has acceptances for poetry on the spreadsheet (3, I think, so far), but none for other genres yet. 

Edited by aurqcyei

8 minutes ago, taliaj said:

Any reason why you’re counting it as a soft rejection? And yeah, I figured that was the case, just didn’t know if I should be worried.

Just to keep my expectations low, lol. Trying not to get my hopes up.

The poets for Boise were all interviewed. Since I didn't get an interview request, I thought I was rejected. But maybe the fiction faculty just doesn't do interviews. 

I feel like there hasn't been as many posts about it, but is anyone else pissing themselves over Iowa results? About 6 results have been reported via the spreadsheet & through various posts, and I'm guessing that they've made a few more calls that haven't been reported. At this point, I'm going to count them as a no to brace myself for the dream crushing machine that'll visit me in a few weeks via USPS.

Probably going to eat my weight in instant ramen and rice cakes when the rejection letter comes through hahahahaha     ︵‿︵(´ ͡༎ຶ ͜ʖ ͡༎ຶ `)︵‿︵

52 minutes ago, BlueJayBird said:

I followed up with NAU about them asking that I respond to my TA offer by March 8, since they signed the CGS April 15 Resolution. They said it's a request to do them the courtesy of responding by then, not a definitive deadline in order to keep the offer. The true deadline is April 15!

Whew! So glad you found that out. I’m sure it’s a load off. 
either way, it’s a good problem to have. 
congratulations!

1 hour ago, lychees said:

Just received an email notifying me that I'm waitlisted for University of New Mexico — bringing the total up to three waitlists so far! Here's to hoping that more good news comes to everyone this week. 

13 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

I’ve been waitlisted at university of New Mexico for cnf! I haven’t heard much about this school in the group or on here— anyone else apply/hear back?

keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

Congrats to both of you!! 🎉🎉🎉 I didn't apply there because of the application requirement for a expository / argumentative essay for a TA position, but I hope both of you get off the waitlist and get good funding!!!

1 hour ago, Karmazinov said:

Anyone know when to expect word from Brown, UMass, and Rutgers?

I saw on last year's Draft spreadsheet that Rutgers notified a few folks on February 27th. It would have been on a Monday last year, so I checked my email this morning semi-anticipating an email from them, but nothing. I'm cautiously hopeful that we'll hear from them by the end of the week 🥲

Edited by sunnysequoia

16 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

I’ve been waitlisted at university of New Mexico for cnf! I haven’t heard much about this school in the group or on here— anyone else apply/hear back?

keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

I applied for fiction. Congratulations. It seems a unique program geared toward both practicality and the art of the work. 

6 hours ago, InfernalDesireMachines said:

All right, I have been officially accepted into Iowa! There were over 900 applicants this year, apparently, which makes me feel insane that I'd be picked. Especially considering I'd been batting 6/6 rejections, plus one soft rejection. Technically I haven't heard back from Brown or UVA yet but I plan to accept Iowa's offer.

Huge congratulations!

Did she mention anything about funding/fellowships?

I just want to take a moment to say that I've done my best to be as supportive to others as they've been to me. I think my greatest failure in this regard has been in not reaching out to everyone individually to congratulate or encourage. Still, this is a sin of laziness, at worst neglect. Where active effort is concerned, I believe all of my posts have been positive or supportive. If there is something I have said or done to upset anyone, it wasn't my intention. still, I stand by my efforts to help make a better world and to contribute to this board in a positive way. It is a wonderful place and i want to be a part of it. 

1 hour ago, 3feetofsnow said:

They have at least started sending out acceptances in poetry, nothing in any other genre yet.

1 hour ago, aurqcyei said:

I didn't ask (probably should have). I just assumed that it was 10 based on the admissions website, but when I was connected with current students, they told me that the cohort size was less one year? I think it varies. 

UC Irvine has acceptances for poetry on the spreadsheet (3, I think, so far), but none for other genres yet. 

thanks so much for the info! I applied for fiction, so fingers crossed they start notifying soon :)

1 hour ago, Rixor said:

Just to keep my expectations low, lol. Trying not to get my hopes up.

The poets for Boise were all interviewed. Since I didn't get an interview request, I thought I was rejected. But maybe the fiction faculty just doesn't do interviews. 

Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping.

Currently waiting for poetry decisions from Iowa, UVA, Pittsburgh, Brown, and UArizona... With three rejections under my belt and this being my first year of applying I am NOT a fan of the silence😅 I have been lurking on Draft just WAITING for something to be sent my way. 

Congrats to everyone who is getting interviews and/or hearing back. I am grateful to have found this forum and Draft -- I just want some good news!

2 minutes ago, soupfanaccount said:

TIA!

there has only been 3 acceptances for poetry in the draft for UC Irvine!

4 minutes ago, Chex said:

Friends, Romans, GradCafe Compatriots, 

I have received what looks to be a tentative acceptance email from NYU! I cannot confirm it until I see the official acceptance email but I may be finishing this application season with something positive after all! 

GRATS! Heck ya!!!

That school wasn't on my radar; I just checked the faculty and it's STACKED. That would be an amazing school! I hope the best for you (and i'm definitely applying there next year if I don't get anywhere this year!).